Not Fully Boosting - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2011, 12:49 PM   #1
SAABeginner

Not Fully Boosting

Alright so earlier my viggen would hold boost at around 16-17, and peak at 21. I installed an open air intake, and a couple weeks after I try and get into it and it would just hold 14lbs and not go over. Related? not related? other problem?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2011, 07:01 AM   #2
Avid TSL User

We had a similar problem on the Viggen. The problem was a check valve had failed adn was bleeding air into the wastegate actuator and opening it too early. I bypassed the line (connects into W line off BPC) by removing it and capping the two lines. Full boost ever since.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-22-2011, 07:32 AM   #3
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by john85020 View Post
We had a similar problem on the Viggen. The problem was a check valve had failed adn was bleeding air into the wastegate actuator and opening it too early. I bypassed the line (connects into W line off BPC) by removing it and capping the two lines. Full boost ever since.
CTviggen Did the same thing..... as Well as myself and MikeD..... Seems that that Check Valve is kinda Troublesome..... Eventually I'll replace it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:42 AM   #4
Elder

what check valve is this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:25 PM   #5
SAAB Road Master

Is this the same as the 'bolt mod' that Chris 9-5 on saabcentral constantly pushes as the be all end all of lost boost?

I have similar issues in my vig. Boost up to 15psi or so. But then on good days where it's running right (pretty rare) up to 20psi and hitting my airmass like it should. I've done that bolt mod and it made no diff.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:50 PM   #6
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Is it worth bypassing the W line even if you seem to be running good boost?
1995 900 SE Turbo
Old 09-23-2011, 11:56 AM   #7
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
Is this the same as the 'bolt mod' that Chris 9-5 on saabcentral constantly pushes as the be all end all of lost boost?

I have similar issues in my vig. Boost up to 15psi or so. But then on good days where it's running right (pretty rare) up to 20psi and hitting my airmass like it should. I've done that bolt mod and it made no diff.
ya, its the same. when mine was bad, the boost was always low, no on-off effect like you describe.

heres a link to the original post by Chris. you just need to scroll down a bit:

Low Turbo Boost - Mid Yellow Only - SaabCentral Forums
Old 09-24-2011, 08:14 AM   #8
Elder

anybody know if the check valves are available somewhere? i prefer to leave things factory as possible and not hoses just hanging off...i also have an EVAP issue im trying to solve and it sounds like this could possibly cause part of the problem.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:55 AM   #9
SAAB Road Master

yeah im in the same boat as saabkid right now, any help would be great.. pic on sc wont load for some reason.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:52 PM   #10
SAABeginner

Thank you everyone who posted, once I get some time I'll check it out and post my results
Old 10-06-2011, 07:47 AM   #11

how are the results with this ?
Old 10-06-2011, 07:52 AM   #12
Elder

You'll want to call to be sure this is the right part number, but I know when I ordered this valve in the past, it came with the entire plastic piping assembly, including checkvalve.

eEuroparts - Purge Valve (EVAP Canister) - # 4670477
Old 10-06-2011, 11:13 AM   #13

that part has nothing to do with this "fix" just wanted to know his results...im recently having a boost issue and may try this to trouble shoot the plastic check valves.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:09 PM   #14
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergie View Post
that part has nothing to do with this "fix" just wanted to know his results...im recently having a boost issue and may try this to trouble shoot the plastic check valves.
im with ya on that one man, this crap is driving me crazy

Old 10-06-2011, 03:03 PM   #15

i guess this works temporarily. . i do get my full 19-20lbs of boost again. . so loooks like im going to stock up on check valves at a local junkyard.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:04 PM   #16

just pull off top vac line of your bpc. . plug the line.. leave the module open..see if it does anything for you.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:11 AM   #17

Going to give this a shot. Since finally putting a proper boost gauge in the thing, I've noticed peaks around 12-13psi, which seems low. Car doesn't feel any slower than it ever has, but we'll see.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:14 AM   #18

these are the check valves that go bad. . i cant believe after all the things i've tried to track down this was it.

look what i found. . 1 of my 2 shops that i take my cars too MUST HAVE swapped the valve closest to the throttle body to flow in the opposite direction..limiting my boost.

these valves aren't too easy to get off, i cant believe he took the time to do this.

my feeling is that since i fucked up my last viggen he wanted to "de tune" it and keep the car from being a beast and keep me and my car "safe" lol.

or since i haven't been to one shop in a good amount of time, he thought id bring it in for a service and diagnosis.

sounds silly but its a good idea either way, to keep me coming back..but i finally found it.

cars a monster again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1006111928.jpg (169.6 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 1006111929.jpg (156.9 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by bergie; 10-07-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:35 PM   #19
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green9kAERO View Post
CTviggen Did the same thing..... as Well as myself and MikeD..... Seems that that Check Valve is kinda Troublesome..... Eventually I'll replace it
See if I have this right. You guys capped the W line from the BPC at both ends? Or did you do Chris's on SC bolt fix as well.

I think I remember playing around with this and capping both R and W and I got crazy boost..... crazy enough for me to put it all back. Just remember thinking "this can't be good....". I just got a new BPC in the end.

That was on my aero. I haven't done a boost gauge to the viggen yet, but just by feel I'm down on boost. I did Chris's fix by capping the R line at the BPC and I really couldn't notice a difference. I might change routes and cap just the wastegate actuator line.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:57 AM   #20
SAABeginner

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the W line should only be pulled for testing purposes to see if you're hardware can make good boost. Leave it off for good and you'll be looking for a new turbo. R line is okay to cap off as this goes to the EVAP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in