Hawk HPS brake pads? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2011, 08:48 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Hawk HPS brake pads?

Has anybody used or is using Hawk HPS brake pads? Just curious on the brand and it's quality.
2002 9-3 SE
2002 9-3 SE Vert
1999 LB 9-3 Viggen
1996 9000 CSE (RIP)
1990 9000 S (SOLD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2011, 08:51 PM   #2
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Yes, and they are great.

I had them on my old 9-3, and have them on my miata.

Perfect pad for an aggressively driven daily.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:21 AM   #3
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Buddy has them on his 350Z, loves em. I have a set for the front in a box waiting to be installed today.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 07-02-2011, 02:39 PM   #4
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Perfect for the street.

Old 07-02-2011, 07:08 PM   #5
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
Another +1 from me. Running them on the front of my 900. Going to put them on all 4 corners of my 9-5 soon.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:39 AM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 8valvegrowl
I've been running them on my 9-3 for over two years. Great for street/autocross. Work well cold and hot, low dust, easy on the rotors. Best all purpose pad I've found yet.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:48 AM   #7

Thanks for the feedback guys Grabbed some Hawk HPS rear pads for a good deal. Just wanted to hear some feedback from my fellow saabers.
2002 9-3 SE
2002 9-3 SE Vert
1999 LB 9-3 Viggen
1996 9000 CSE (RIP)
1990 9000 S (SOLD)

Old 07-04-2011, 06:21 AM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Have them on the wagon, actually got them smoking on PA back roads trying to follow Delorean in the delorean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 07-05-2011, 09:27 AM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PoisonBeef
I think I am running HPS right now. Seem great to me. +1.

99 3-door 9-3 - SOLD
99 5-door 9-3SE - td04, 3" dp, t5 suite - Sold

2001 Audi a6 2.7 twin turbo
1986 Audi 5000 2.2 turbo
2012 VW Golf TDI
1982 Yamaha Seca xj650
Old 07-05-2011, 11:37 AM   #10
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallythesaab View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys Grabbed some Hawk HPS rear pads for a good deal. Just wanted to hear some feedback from my fellow saabers.
Thought about running these myself so i guess this made up my mind...care to share where you found them?!
Old 07-05-2011, 12:03 PM   #11
Elder

Tire Rack sells both front and rear fitment, that's where I bought mine anyway.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:08 PM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to spgproject
100% unimpressed. installed on an '02 9-3 with new brembo oe replacement rotors. followed break-in procedure to a tee. stopping is ok at best. dust level and noise were pretty good, but if i'd do it again, i'd save a couple bucks, get pbr ceramics and probably have a better pad. they also seemed to really wear hard on the rotors. after about 15k, the rotors looked like a frank zappa 33rpm lp.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:50 PM   #13

I was really pleased with them in a 92' 900. They do need some heat before they have good initial bite, but after that they stop nice and have good feel. Id say they are a perfect pad for street/ autocross/ light track day use. Car is daily driven ~120 miles, plus multiple hillclimbs and after a over a year pads and rotors are still good.

I have also recently started using the HP plus pads, that I also really like. These also need some heat before they are in their prime. They are more aggressive though, so the noise and dust would be bad for a daily driver. But as far as braking goes, they are a step up from the HPS.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:27 PM   #14
Elder

Using them on my GTO and the 9-7X. Great so far.

'91 900 Turbo SE Convertible
'93 900 Turbo CE #116, modified
'02 9-5 Aero SportWagon, MT
'06 GTO, modified
'08 9-7X 6.0 Aero. The fastest stock Saab I've owned, bar none.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:43 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage59-3 View Post
Thought about running these myself so i guess this made up my mind...care to share where you found them?!
I grabbed them at auto parts warehouse. Usually grab all my cheaper parts from here, but I saw they had a deal on Hawk HPS pads. It's definitely one of those distributors that's connected to multiple sites, but warehouse has free shipping Most of the other ones don't.

Auto Parts Warehouse | Car Parts, Truck Parts & Auto Body Parts Online - Free Shipping on most Auto Accessories & Performance Parts AutoPartsWarehouse
2002 9-3 SE
2002 9-3 SE Vert
1999 LB 9-3 Viggen
1996 9000 CSE (RIP)
1990 9000 S (SOLD)

Old 07-06-2011, 08:03 AM   #16
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by spgproject View Post
100% unimpressed. installed on an '02 9-3 with new brembo oe replacement rotors. followed break-in procedure to a tee. stopping is ok at best. dust level and noise were pretty good, but if i'd do it again, i'd save a couple bucks, get pbr ceramics and probably have a better pad. they also seemed to really wear hard on the rotors. after about 15k, the rotors looked like a frank zappa 33rpm lp.

Something doesn't sound right here. I have two years of hard street/autocross and some track use on mine. My slotted GS Brembos look great with these pads and the stopping ability FAR exceeds any ceramic pad I've used.

Are you sure you didn't get the Hawk HP+? That's the more aggressive track pad that needs a lot of heat to work and is wicked hard on rotors in my experience.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8valvegrowl View Post

Are you sure you didn't get the Hawk HP+? That's the more aggressive track pad that needs a lot of heat to work and is wicked hard on rotors in my experience.

I would think not, as from my experience they make some noise, and lots of dust.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:00 PM   #18

Just got mine in today, probably put them on tomorrow. Definitely will give some feedback once I've broke them in a little.
2002 9-3 SE
2002 9-3 SE Vert
1999 LB 9-3 Viggen
1996 9000 CSE (RIP)
1990 9000 S (SOLD)

Old 07-07-2011, 08:58 AM   #19
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPAero View Post
I would think not, as from my experience they make some noise, and lots of dust.
True, but the mere fact that it wore his rotors so fast and had mediocre stopping power seems odd.

I have close to 20K of mixed, hard use on mine and the rotors are mirror smooth. My inner pads are wearing faster than my outer pads though and have developed a tiny bit of pad rattle on bumps. These silly calipers tend to do that to all pads I've tried, so no biggie.

I also bleed my brakes twice a year with ATE SB and have Goodridge SS lines, plus Viggen size rotors up front, all of which make big improvements in braking. But, the single biggest factor I noticed was going to the HPS pads.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:02 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8valvegrowl View Post
True, but the mere fact that it wore his rotors so fast and had mediocre stopping power seems odd.

I have close to 20K of mixed, hard use on mine and the rotors are mirror smooth. My inner pads are wearing faster than my outer pads though and have developed a tiny bit of pad rattle on bumps. These silly calipers tend to do that to all pads I've tried, so no biggie.
Yeah, something has to be wrong there, as I have similar use with the same results. Now that I think about it though, dust and noise generally start after the HP+ are heated. And with normal street use, might not really happen. I bet your right.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in