Saab Link Forums banner

Chinese Tech 2?

25K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  tuita 
#1 ·
Been finding a lot of "fake" Tech 2 on Ebay. Anyone knows/heard anything about these? Around 950 to 1500 dollar, tempting, tempting.........But to much money to take a chance and just buy one to try out.

#4 ·
they are on ebay all the time ,and usally sell for 1500-2000$, i have heard horrible things about them on other forums, but have never seen them used in a saab appilacation.

could be worth giving a try if you have an extra 2k kicking around...

mike d

#5 ·
dont bother... have had experience with them
90% of them cannot use the CANDi cable properly and they also have trouble with communicating with T7 cars

if you get a tech2 either invest in a brand new one from a reputable dealer (or even directly from the manufacturer), or see if there's a gm dealership or indy shop thats closing down near by you

bosch diagnostics (who owns vetronic) is trying to catch and shut down companies that are making copies of the tech2
those china made knockoffs are pretty well put together and not even the real company can distinguish if its fake without opening them up to check the motherboard

#6 ·
Never!

I WOULD NEVER -I REPEAT: NEVER BUY A CHINESE COPY! Not even it would be proved as a 100% working product. That would equal supporting a thief selling the stolen things!
But then again, there are cheapos ready to shoot a bargain, only that in the end the bargain will be for Xin Miao Co Ltd., not for the buyer ;)

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks for advice.
Here is one guy claiming that this is the real thing, how can I know if the only way to be sure is to check the motherboard, and I don't know what it should say on the board. (The real thing is probably made in China anyway)

GM Tech II Dealership Scan Tool Kit Tech 2 GM Tech II | eBay

I send an Email and asked for price for this Tech 2 or maybe a similar manufacturer, and she said 975 Dollar. Alibaba was cheaper then what I could find on Ebay.

Lowest Price tech 2 scan tool products, buy Lowest Price tech 2 scan tool products from alibaba.com

The discussion about theft? Well, when I was working for Volvo Penta. A guy with full access to Volvos computersystem showed me the price that Volvo payed for an Alternator from French Valeo.

When they bought it for 12!!!!! dollar each ( bying 10 000 units at one time) they turned it around and sold it to customer, for around 300 to 500 dollar depending if there was a core back or not. (in the late 80:s)

Isn't that theft in a way to? And this is whats going on everywhere in all companys, in all countrys.

On the other hand there is so many people that is getting payed from this money, mechanics, service personnel, sales people. So if this is how much profit they need, thats what it need to cost! Right?

Again on the other hand, a Chinese Tech 2 is Stolen. The software belongs to someone, the design belongs to someone, there is probably a dozen patent violations going on too.

I don't know, I cant choose side in this subject, I only want the cheapest possible Tech 2, so I can talk to my freaking ECU!.....:D

#9 ·
dont even consider alibaba as a source.. those are all knockoffs as well
ive had a real tech2 and a fake one opened up.. i couldnt find the diff though the real one was able to scan no problem while the fake one could barely tap into a T5

if you buy a used one go use it beforehand on a saab and/or some gm vehicles

#12 ·
In today's world I wouldn't discount Chinese made stuff as knock off, although I'd be highly suspicious. Don't forget that SAAB has sold a lot of technology to China to pay its debt, maybe some Tech II technology might have been passed along. Who knows?

On a recent trip out of Alaska I flew on four near new Boeing 737s owned by Alaska Airlines. I am an aircraft mechanic by trade and when I get into any aircraft I am always looking around at mechanic details, labels, warnings, etc. On each and every one of those brand new 737s I saw on the main cabin door a label that said clearly: "BOEING - Made in China". Just because it's Chinese doesn't man its crap nowadays. They will make quality stuff if they are paid the right price (which I am sure Boeing is paying).

#15 ·
not only is it $140 for shipping, its also $30 for the Saab program card and another $25 for the connectors. soo total now is

$350 + $140 + $30 + $25 = $545 for a device that doesn't even have 1 legit positive review. Every view over 2 stars is someone questioning where it can be shipped, will it work with my car, etc.

heck even the pictures look like stock photos. Nothing about it says Buy Me I'm the Real thing.

and why oh why is it $140 to ship? thats insane. its not exactly large, not super heavy, no reason for that kind of ripoff on shipping

#20 ·
If you want a QUALITY Tech2 clone - and not the China made junk contact Tyson. via - Califerrari101@tmo.blackberry.net Reference myself and he will take excellent care of you and ensure you a smooth purchase and warranty process. I bought mine over a year ago through him and it works great. These units ship from CA and the warranty center is in Utah. I paid well under $900 shipped with a 3 year warranty. I bought mine cyber Monday and got a huge discount. Be sure to mention my name as a referral and it will put you into the group by discount rate.

#22 ·
Negative. It's been compared next to the China made one from Aliexpress and the real Tech2. The one I have is nearly identical to a real one. The China ones have terrible screens and the buttons don't even click. I paid $650 shipped for mine on Cyber Monday through the group buy. No regrets. Works great.

#23 ·
I don't want a Tech2 identical to the original. Those 1980's electronics have been MUCH simplified. They can make the same board with about 1/3 the size and parts. They don't get warm and weigh like nothing. Not sure which tech2 Mike D has, but I know he spent less than $400 on it and has used it daily for at least 2 years.

#26 ·
I got the clone one, but it works good. I am not affiliated with the dealer. I think the GM tech 2 is the ULTIMATE scan tool, it is capable of everything from full diagnostics, reprogramming and fully coding ALL of your GM computers on board, minor tweaking for tires size all the way to full tuning. The GM tech 2 is the cats meow of the software world when it comes to vehicles. But it fits older models.

There is a minor problem with the tech 2...minor....You have to be a rocket scientist to use it. I am not so I don't use it to its fullest potential...

#27 ·
I got my first one on Aliexpress.com,it cost me of 1000usd,test too bad.last two weeks,I bought another tech2 clone but price is lower 318usd

chinacardiags.com/wholesale/tech2-diagnostic-scanner-for-gm-saab-opel-suzuki-isuzu-holden-with-full-package.html

test good,also can install on my windows10

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.