RP 10w30 oil analysis - Page 4 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2010, 04:21 PM   #61
Avid TSL User

So I'm going to jump back into here...

I still don't see how a $20 oil test gives you any indication of how your engine is "wearing." Unless you do an oil test every oil change for 200k, using the same oil, at the same interval: your one data point is a shot into the sky. It'll just tell you the condition of your engine (if bearings are failing, coolant mixing in..., which can't really be resolved until the failure occurs).

Has anyone done this? I think most people go with the cheapest synthetic oil when they go to the store (at least I do, used to be only Rotella for me but it's gone up in price). If I was driving a Bugatti Veyron, then the engine oil would probably matter to me.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2010, 06:32 PM   #62
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucksayre View Post
If I was driving a Bugatti Veyron, then the engine oil would probably matter to me.
Mobil 1 is factory fill for the Veyron....and it's what they use at the dealership. - I'm not making this up either.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-25-2010, 10:51 AM   #63
SAAB Road Master

feed the fire...

I took this sample as I was doing my second change on the Viggen, oil was 0W-40 M1. I have no clue what was used prior to me owning. I was told all service was done at a dealer tho...

Old 05-06-2011, 10:54 AM   #64

Reviving dormant thread instead of making new one.

I have been using Liqui Moly Leichtlauf High Tech 5W-40 with NAPA Gold filters on my SAAB for the last 5 oil changes. I do it religiosuly at 3,000 miles. Today I was reading the Liqui Moly site and they recommend a 20,000 km (12,000 mile) oil change schedule for my SAAB. That's a lot more than the factory 3,000 mile changeover.

So I am deciding to do a Blackstone oil sample at the next oil change as a baseline sample, and after that I'll do a sample instead of a change and upon receipt of a bad sample report I'll change it. My chain of though has roots in my line of work, US Army avaition, we have extended oil change schedules and do samples ine between. On a bad sample report or when we found too many metal chips on the filter or magnet we change the oil prematurely.

There are loads of references on the net pointing to the fact that changing the oil every 3,000 miles, despite being recommended by manuyfacturers, is overkill. Especially with modern synthetic oils this is true. Liqui Moly's site mentions that on some vehicles their oil has a recommended change schedule of 40,000 km!
Old 05-06-2011, 12:40 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snabb SAAB View Post
Reviving dormant thread instead of making new one.

I have been using Liqui Moly Leichtlauf High Tech 5W-40 with NAPA Gold filters on my SAAB for the last 5 oil changes. I do it religiosuly at 3,000 miles. Today I was reading the Liqui Moly site and they recommend a 20,000 km (12,000 mile) oil change schedule for my SAAB. That's a lot more than the factory 3,000 mile changeover.

So I am deciding to do a Blackstone oil sample at the next oil change as a baseline sample, and after that I'll do a sample instead of a change and upon receipt of a bad sample report I'll change it. My chain of though has roots in my line of work, US Army avaition, we have extended oil change schedules and do samples ine between. On a bad sample report or when we found too many metal chips on the filter or magnet we change the oil prematurely.

There are loads of references on the net pointing to the fact that changing the oil every 3,000 miles, despite being recommended by manuyfacturers, is overkill. Especially with modern synthetic oils this is true. Liqui Moly's site mentions that on some vehicles their oil has a recommended change schedule of 40,000 km!

Sludge.

When Liquor Molly ( ) starts testing exclusively on B204/B205 or B234/B235 engines with actual cars and current EGR systems, then you can feel comfortable with such an extended wear interval.

Until then...try not to go more than 5-6,000 miles between changes, less if you do lots of short trips in cold weather.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:12 AM   #66
Avid TSL User

I had mobile 0-50 in for a year and after less than 3000 miles, the oil turned pretty dark in color. I talked with my mechanic, he says that since my car has 180K miles, i should use 10-40 or 15-40. that does better for the worn engine than I'll ever get out of the thinner oil. He says the thinner synthetic oil is good on new cars and tight tolerance engines or fresh rebuilds, but with the older car, I may be causing more problems than its worth with blowby in the oil and the thinner oil leaking more through the system. I didn't really notice that but i do think that my oil color change to very dark shows the mix with the blowby exhaust carbonating the oil quicker than normal.

so, this year I'm on 15-40 to see how that performs. no difference so far in gas mileage.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:31 AM   #67
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleye View Post
I had mobile 0-50 in for a year and after less than 3000 miles, the oil turned pretty dark in color. I talked with my mechanic, he says that since my car has 180K miles, i should use 10-40 or 15-40. that does better for the worn engine than I'll ever get out of the thinner oil. He says the thinner synthetic oil is good on new cars and tight tolerance engines or fresh rebuilds, but with the older car, I may be causing more problems than its worth with blowby in the oil and the thinner oil leaking more through the system. I didn't really notice that but i do think that my oil color change to very dark shows the mix with the blowby exhaust carbonating the oil quicker than normal.

so, this year I'm on 15-40 to see how that performs. no difference so far in gas mileage.
I fail to see how one 10w-30 synthetic oil would be "thinner" than a 10w-30 conventional oil.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:41 PM   #68
Avid TSL User

The difference was 0-50 or 0-30 synthetic versus 15-40 or 10-40. The wide range synthetic is slightly more viscous naturally to maintain the range and not thicken at lower temperatures. Thus is better for the tight engines. There shouldn't be any difference in viscosity between regular and synthetic oils.

When I first got the car, used, the oil was 10-30 and burned some while driving. I tried the 0-50 to see how it would operate in the car. it was fine and I didn't lose much in the burn/run, that I could see.

But, this year I'll take the advise of the experienced mechanic who works on old SAAB,BMW/MB/VOLVO all the time and see how the car performs. Plus it was a cheaper oil change. He also allows me 5000 miles and one year to replace it. Now, he said that I could put anything in I want be he didn't think the 0-50 synthetic was going to help and he has seen problems with customers using 0-50 synthetic in the high mileage old engines.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:41 PM   #69

Who makes a 0w-50 synthetic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleye View Post
The difference was 0-50 or 0-30 synthetic versus 15-40 or 10-40. The wide range synthetic is slightly more viscous naturally to maintain the range and not thicken at lower temperatures. Thus is better for the tight engines. There shouldn't be any difference in viscosity between regular and synthetic oils.

When I first got the car, used, the oil was 10-30 and burned some while driving. I tried the 0-50 to see how it would operate in the car. it was fine and I didn't lose much in the burn/run, that I could see.

But, this year I'll take the advise of the experienced mechanic who works on old SAAB,BMW/MB/VOLVO all the time and see how the car performs. Plus it was a cheaper oil change. He also allows me 5000 miles and one year to replace it. Now, he said that I could put anything in I want be he didn't think the 0-50 synthetic was going to help and he has seen problems with customers using 0-50 synthetic in the high mileage old engines.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:40 AM   #70
Avid TSL User

Mobil
Old 05-15-2011, 08:44 AM   #71
Elder

i suggest you go read some articles on the issues with oils that have a very large split between the cold and hot viscosity.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:25 PM   #72
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Moreboost
Bump

Has anyone tried or personally heard anything about the new RP HPS oil?

Old 07-30-2011, 09:19 AM   #73
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosepuck View Post
Same thing I run... Rotella 5w40... hydrocracked yes... whatever... the oil is good.... did a lot of research myself before I settled...... to each their own. I'll stick with this stuff..........
likewise.. i switched to this stuff a little over a year ago, not expensive and works great... i too will stick with rotella t6
Old 07-30-2011, 11:23 AM   #74
TSLMember

I just had a Blackstone Labs oil analysis done on Rotella T6 5w-40 oil run for 5k mi in my 02 9-3 SE. Results were quite good with good TBN, and I was told that I should try running this oil for 7k mi next time. I wouldn't hesitate to use T6 again.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:50 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escargot View Post
I just had a Blackstone Labs oil analysis done on Rotella T6 5w-40 oil run for 5k mi in my 02 9-3 SE. Results were quite good with good TBN, and I was told that I should try running this oil for 7k mi next time. I wouldn't hesitate to use T6 again.
I think the fact is that most any oil will run for far longer than US customers are used to. While Europe has slightly different standards, they have also had 5/10K oil change recomendations for a long time, while we've had 3K. People here get all excited when their oil is still OK at 5K miles, when in fact, that's how it should be.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:15 PM   #76
Elder

^Let me guess, you use mobil 1 and change the saab "recommended" 10k oil change
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in