Tire Preference! - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2005, 07:13 AM   #1
Editor
Elder

Tire Preference!

Well, it's come time to buy some tires. The Michelins that are on there have a pretty low tread, and so my dad called up one of his buddies at the tire place to look into it. I was just wondering what everyone has prefered on their cars in the past, and what the verdict was on Pirellis? I know nothing about them, so any info / experiences would be great. Thanks.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2005, 07:29 AM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

I like Kumho best bang for the buck. are you looking for summer or all-seasons?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-24-2005, 07:33 AM   #3
Editor
Elder

Probably all seasons. He set me up a package of Pirellis that evidently are 70,000 mile tires for 300 bucks, and that's with full service, etc.

Old 06-24-2005, 07:47 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to b dash rian
i have parada spec 2's from yokohama, but they wear out fast, have a shit load of grip though

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Football stars play for the Steelers. Suck it, Cleveland.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:54 AM   #5
Administrator
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via ICQ to bollman Send a message via AIM to bollman
Stay away from all-season unless you donīt care about handling...or you have perma frost at your place. All-seasons are way too soft in the summer. They wear down too fast, and the grip is almost nonexistant.

I have Continental Sport Contact 2 on my car since last year. Very good! The noise is not much up from Michelins and the grip is just outstanding. It canīt be a coincidence that Conti Sport Contact 2 are standard fitted to Porsche
Old 06-24-2005, 05:00 PM   #6
Dan
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to Dan
highly recommend you spend the extra couple of bucks and get nokians. they are top notch on saabs and actually all cars.
Old 06-25-2005, 05:49 AM   #7
gm
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollman
Stay away from all-season unless you donīt care about handling...or you have perma frost at your place. All-seasons are way too soft in the summer. They wear down too fast, and the grip is almost nonexistant.

I have Continental Sport Contact 2 on my car since last year. Very good! The noise is not much up from Michelins and the grip is just outstanding. It canīt be a coincidence that Conti Sport Contact 2 are standard fitted to Porsche
all seasons to SOFT? Usually all seasons have a much harder compound then summer tires so they can last longer as well as work in cold winter months. Their tread design & compound lends itself to longer treadlife & worse dry weather handling when compared to a summer tire.

Saabless for the first time since 1986
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-25-2005, 06:05 PM   #8
Editor
Elder

I ended up going with the Michelins - I am not even sure on the name, but the manager of the place set up the package for me... I got the set for 323 out the door, with tax... NOT bad at all. He really hooked me up.

The bad news is, BENT RIM. I'll post another thread about this...
Old 06-26-2005, 06:59 PM   #9
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Pirelli pzero nero m+s
Old 06-28-2005, 01:02 PM   #10
Administrator
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via ICQ to bollman Send a message via AIM to bollman
Um, tires designed for winter use is usually _a lot_ softer than summer tires. When the temperature gets low, the rubber hardens and that means less grip. To compensate, the makers use a mixture which makes the tire soft even at low temperatures thus making it extremley soft on a hot summer day.
I had M+S-tires on my og900 and they where so soft you could do drifting with 118hp!
Old 06-28-2005, 02:07 PM   #11
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to spgdude
For snows I usually run nokians or gislaved's, and summer on the 9k I have yokohama avs', horrible dont buy them, only have like 4k miles on them and they are nearly gone. On the spg I run kuhmos, and I am very happy with them. Next on for the 9k im looking at some kuhmos or toyo's.
09' 9-5 SportCombi 5mt Stg1
Old 06-29-2005, 09:25 AM   #12
TSLMember

Send a message via MSN to 02 Viggen
Bollman - I am with gm that winter tires run a much harder compound that summer tires...

Summer tires are generally very soft and this is the reason why they become very unsafe in the winter because they freeze up and become extremely hard....

Whereas winter tires become way to soft in the summer which causes the thread to break down much faster

I have on the Viggen
Pirelli P7000's - nothing to get excited over

on the Aero
Bridgestone Potenza S-03's - absolutely amazing tires...but very pricey and will not last long...by the end of their life they will get about 20,000 km's of use

Michelin Pilot Alpins - amazing winter tires...they grip well in the snow, ice, slush and dry
Old 06-29-2005, 09:54 AM   #13
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to goviggen
I have the BFG KDW'2's - fantastic tires for traction in any condition(except snow) but rain and dry traction are great!
***CAUTION*** THESE TIRES ARE VERY LOUD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in