Help needed: wheel bearing!!! - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2009, 12:37 AM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Adrenaline406
Help needed: wheel bearing!!!

So, I recently had some noise coming from my front wheel and with the help of friends, it has been diagnosed as a wheel bearing. They have had the same issues in their cars (albeit they're Hondas and Subarus) and it sounds the same. So is it recommended that I replace the bearing by itself or do i should I replace the entire strut? Part: http://www.thesaabsite.com/900new/NG...elbearings.htm
Also part: Ebay Wheel Bearing

I was searching platonoff and other sites, finding no diy show. Does anyone know of one? (Pictures would be wonderful)

The vehicle is ng900 set 5 door 5 speed

Thanks in advance!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2009, 03:10 AM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

as far as i know those bearings are pressed in. you would need a hydraulic press to get them out and replace them.
replacing your entire strut is absolutely not necessary and WAY more money than you wanna spend.

Casey
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-17-2009, 05:23 AM   #3
JK
Elder

Yeah, press the hub out of the bearing. You might have to cut the inner race from the hub. Then press in a new bearing, and then press the hub into the new bearing.

I had to have someone press the hubs out for me, because I didn't have the correct chunks of steel needed to give me clearance on my press, but once everything was apart I used a $99 hydraulic press and got it all back together.

You have to make sure when pressing the bearing in that you are pressing both the inner and outer races, otherwise you can damage the bearing. I used a large socket turned upside down. Likewise when pressing the hub into the bearing...make sure both races are supported from the back side.

I didn't take any photos of the process...but it is relatively universal between car mfgs.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:27 AM   #4

Bearing

I used a bearing replacement kit from Advanced Auto Parts. You buy it then they buy it back within 45 days. The spring compressor they "rented" to me did not work. Like JK said, use a large socket for the outer race. I got the shaft started through enough to use the nut to pull the shaft through the inner race with a spacer, then the nut and hub to seat it. Clean inner and outer race mounting surfaces with scotchbrite to remove any "junk". Good Luck !

'00 VigVert- Nirvana
'00 9-3SE DD
2013 Silverado Z71 4WD
Old 12-17-2009, 07:43 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Adrenaline406
alright ill aim to take pictures when I go through with this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:12 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to 2legit2quit
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1llsh0rty View Post
as far as i know those bearings are pressed in. you would need a hydraulic press to get them out and replace them.
replacing your entire strut is absolutely not necessary and WAY more money than you wanna spend.

Casey
Shorty basically nailed it, I replaced mine over summer, yes its a pain, and yes you need to get it pressed out with hydrolic press and new one pressed back in. You take off the entire strut, heres some pics. You will also need a new Hub. Id say the hardest part is getting the Sir clip out that took me like over an hour.

I brought my strut hub and bearing to a recomended Machine shop and a real nice guy and pressed it out and i brought it back to him with the new parts and he repressed it for me and charged me like 20$?

Last edited by 2legit2quit; 12-17-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in