Who Drives their 9-3 Convertibles in the Snow? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2009, 10:05 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Thumbs up Who Drives their 9-3 Convertibles in the Snow?

Just wanted to see who out there takes the Verts into the snowy conditions or even drives them up to go riding (boarding/skiing), etc.?

Anything to really worry about in terms of the roof-top? I would think if the roof was getting snowed on and covered itself in snow, for example, it would not damage or hurt the top. The only way I can see the soft-top being damaged is if ice/icicles went through it or something sharp would have to basically go right through it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2009, 06:24 AM   #2
Elder

my dad does, no problems
Old 09-05-2009, 07:04 AM   #3
Elder

The fabric that is used for these roofs are very tough so I wouldn't worry about snow weight. You could literally stand on the fabric and it won't give, not sure about the actual roof structure itself but it should hold given it has to have some kind of rollover protection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 09-05-2009, 07:09 AM   #4
Elder

Years of UV exposure can weaken the convert tops. dont use a scraper to try and get snow/ice off the top
Old 09-05-2009, 09:16 AM   #5
Avid TSL User

My Viggen is my Daily Driver. I use it year round and I ski a local mole hill every Tuesday and Thursday night. Back seat down and ski's passed through the center whole.

A
Old 09-05-2009, 09:19 AM   #6
Elder

my wife has driven her convert in the winter for 5 years now and the top still looks like new.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:06 AM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
My old man has driven a 9-3 vert year round since 02.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:14 AM   #8

Thumbs up

Just last night I was feeling the top and it is like a brick. Good point on the rollover thing.

Sounds like few here and I'm sure tons more enjoy these cars in the snow.

I would definitely never scrape ice/snow/etc. off the top.

I guess it's interesting when I see these classifieds that talk about how the car was never driven in the snow, blah blah blah when I know Saabs in history have always been a top rated bulletproof structure that have saved many a live.

Looks like this Saab will enjoy some days up at the local spot (Hood Meadows).

Cheers and thanks all!
Old 09-06-2009, 01:16 AM   #9
Elder

if i had one i would use it year round so no worries man. hell in sweden they use them year round. they whole point is so for the few months of sun in sweden they can have the top down
Old 09-06-2009, 11:39 AM   #10
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progression View Post
Just wanted to see who out there takes the Verts into the snowy conditions
Photo from last winter.
Temperature was just above freezing and the snow was starting to thaw but the sun was out and a good excuse to get the top down!

Old 09-06-2009, 05:14 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to watkins
I have for the past two years.

Old 09-06-2009, 05:44 PM   #12
Elder

Until we got the 9-7X, both the 'Vert and the 9-5 Wagon were our winter vehicles. No worries on the top. Does just fine in the winter. Clear the snow off with your hands/arms only. No scrapers.

'91 900 Turbo SE Convertible
'93 900 Turbo CE #116, modified
'02 9-5 Aero SportWagon, MT
'06 GTO, modified
'08 9-7X 6.0 Aero. The fastest stock Saab I've owned, bar none.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:48 PM   #13
Elder

It also helps as far as maintenence to make sure you get some fabric cleaner and thoroughly clean it before winter. After that, seal the fabric with 303 Fabric Guard or Raggtop Protectant and that is about as much as you can do.

|
|
Old 09-06-2009, 05:52 PM   #14
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to SaabDriver87
Never had any problems with my old turbo S convertibles top and I drove it year round. Jill effed up the top on my 'vert before I bought it from her and she drove it year round. Bunch of scuffs and a few small tears and wear spots. Now, I keep it jacked up and covered, with the rims pulled and stacked from October 1st to April 1st.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:23 AM   #15

My father's had no problem with his, although it is garaged most of the time.
As for the rollover feature, I've heard they're equipped with it also.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:05 PM   #16
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedForSwede View Post
My father's had no problem with his, although it is garaged most of the time.
As for the rollover feature, I've heard they're equipped with it also.
I think the rollover feature started in 2004 - not sure what you get prior to that. I wouldn't think the top itself would provide any rollover protection - can't support 2,000+ pounds...

The 2004+ have pop-up bars behind the seats.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeym View Post
I think the rollover feature started in 2004 - not sure what you get prior to that. I wouldn't think the top itself would provide any rollover protection - can't support 2,000+ pounds...

The 2004+ have pop-up bars behind the seats.
all you really have is the windshield hoop

Old 09-20-2009, 05:50 PM   #18

I haven't looked it up myself, but my father's mechanic is John at J.G. Service in MA and I believe he's the guy that told him his 9-3 vert had something that popped up. I think John has an account here. I know his c900 has the SIS kit and 3 gauges on his hood if anyone recognizes him from that description.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:15 PM   #19
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to aireeca
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedForSwede View Post
I haven't looked it up myself, but my father's mechanic is John at J.G. Service in MA and I believe he's the guy that told him his 9-3 vert had something that popped up. I think John has an account here. I know his c900 has the SIS kit and 3 gauges on his hood if anyone recognizes him from that description.
Here's the safety list from the newer 'verts, I don't see that feature here.

Other convertibles, like the VW New Beetle, have this feature.

EDIT: So, I got to looking at those two bumps behind the back headrests and went poking around in some crash videos. Not sure when it started, but yes, at least 2007 9-3 convertibles have the rollover protection bars. See here.

Last edited by aireeca; 09-21-2009 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:20 PM   #20

Send a message via AIM to Slow Joe Send a message via Yahoo to Slow Joe
My wife drives our '04 9-3 'Vert in winter, and actually it's one of the best cars we've ever had for winter driving... On top of that we do take it on snowboarding trips up north (about a 4 hour drive)... Did that trip two years ago as 7" of snow fell...

As for roll over bars, I believe they started in '04 with the new body convertible. Ours has it.
1 Mercedes
Complete Addict.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in