Gasoline additives - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2009, 06:37 AM   #1
SAAB Road Master

Gasoline additives

Alright so I was talking to some random who was telling me about Gasoline additives to remove gunk thats built up in the motor, etc.
Then I saw the same stuff being talked about on a car show, so heres my question...

Does anybody use any?
If so is it with every fillup or once every now and then...

Also, any specific brands/chemicals we should stay away from in our saabs?

Thanks again in advance guys!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2009, 08:01 AM   #2
TSLMember

Send a message via AIM to Real Lyte
Just to start, this is a huge debate, good luck.

Personally I use B-12 (at any autozone) once maybe every 12k or right before a big trip because it increases mileage and slightly cleans things in the fuel tank (once again debatable, but I see minor increases). Not to mention its a whole 3 bucks, why not?
Old 08-31-2009, 08:24 AM   #3
Elder

I've been a believer in Techron, We use it in our shop with good results in customers cars. I think the better fuels will reduce the need for these products though. The biggest reason we have for using it is the build up of carbon on the backs of the intake valves. This is most noticable with the oxygenated fuels. This carbon acts like a sponge and soaks up the fuel before it can get into the combustion chamber causing hard cold starts. The better fuels, in our area called Top Tier Fuels, will have the additives already blended into the fuel.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 08-31-2009, 09:09 AM   #4
Elder

+1 on Techron, I use it maybe once an oil change or so? That's probably a little aggressive, but you can't really over use it so why not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:25 PM   #5
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to watkins
The only thing I use that doesnt require special equipment is Lucas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:54 PM   #6
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Lucas oil additives are bad for use in a situation with gears. Do you want air bubbles in your trans/diff?

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:15 PM   #7
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabeh View Post
Lucas oil additives are bad for use in a situation with gears. Do you want air bubbles in your trans/diff?
I think he is talking about gas additives... I know it probably did next to nothing, but I used to get a half a tank of 93 octane and dump a bottle of NOS "race only" octane booster in. I could have sworn the engine became a bit more responsive in the lower revs, especially when accelerating from a stop.

Just do an Italian tune-up every once in a while.

|
|
Old 08-31-2009, 05:49 PM   #8
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

I didn't know that lucas made gas additives, if they did I probably would not use them. This is based off of the experience I had with building small marine engines. We HAD to use lucas oil and it did nothing but bad. I can't imagine one product is better from the same company. bobistheoilguy.com

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:54 PM   #9
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to watkins
Lucas fuel injector cleaner/gas treatment is, I believe, the only one to not contain alcohol. Its a lubricant-based product that makes sure oil is not pulled off of surfaces by the additive. It does in fact work to break things loose when used in conjunction with a proper Italian tune-up.

Octane boosters do not increase octane by a measurable amount. Furthermore, increased octane does nothing to clean out your engine. All octane is is a measure of resistance to detonation.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:15 AM   #10
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonracer View Post
I've been a believer in Techron, We use it in our shop with good results in customers cars. I think the better fuels will reduce the need for these products though. The biggest reason we have for using it is the build up of carbon on the backs of the intake valves. This is most noticable with the oxygenated fuels. This carbon acts like a sponge and soaks up the fuel before it can get into the combustion chamber causing hard cold starts. The better fuels, in our area called Top Tier Fuels, will have the additives already blended into the fuel.
+1 and BG's BK44. I use a can every 10-15k.

1997 900SE Talladega (SQR stage 4)
2006 9-3SS Aero
Old 09-01-2009, 03:54 AM   #11
lms

Techron, before oil change.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:34 AM   #12
Avid TSL User

Same, use a bottle of Chevron Techron once a month or so. Probably a bit too frequent but every oil change interval seems like a good time for it.

Haven't tried the Lucas fuel treatment/injector cleaner yet. Might give it a try but like others have said I don't think it will make much of a difference if you are using quality gasoline to begin with.

99' Viggen
Old 09-01-2009, 07:30 AM   #13
Greek Mod
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to grkguy89
i have heard of adding acetone to get more performance
has anyone tried this?

Quote:
Current Activity: Moderating
Old 09-01-2009, 07:36 AM   #14
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by grkguy89 View Post
i have heard of adding acetone to get more performance
has anyone tried this?
Too big of a pussy to try it.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:52 AM   #15
Elder

Chevron Techron get's my vote too. A mechanic friend of mine told me he can tell every motor that has been running it that he works on--very clean internals. He also uses it in his own cars--collectible VWs.

As far as the octane boost, acetone's OK, but it is commonly sold as nail polish remover. It will melt paint and certain plastics. Use toluene if you want to boost octane. Toluene is what the refineries use to increase octane and is also the stuff you'll generally find in the half-assed "octane boosters" that you can buy at WalMart and the like--just in very small amounts. Throw a gallon of it in your tank if you want to see any real octane increase.

1993 900T Comm Ed #3
1993 900T Comm Ed #249
1994 900T Comm Ed #363
Old 09-01-2009, 08:24 AM   #16
lms

I have used toulene, but it's not worth it anymore due to cost. It used to be pretty damn cheap, but not now.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:51 AM   #17
Elder

Yikes! I just checked the prices of Toluene and Xylene. When did the prices jump so much? Producers used to base their pricing on about $.50 over the wholesale (pre-tax) price of regular unleaded pump gas. Now Toluene is over $10 a gal--that's nuts! At that price it would cost over $5 a gal for a Toluene/Gas mix to yield 100 octane.

1993 900T Comm Ed #3
1993 900T Comm Ed #249
1994 900T Comm Ed #363
Old 09-01-2009, 08:58 AM   #18
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbocon86 View Post
Yikes! I just checked the prices of Toluene and Xylene. When did the prices jump so much? Producers used to base their pricing on about $.50 over the wholesale (pre-tax) price of regular unleaded pump gas. Now Toluene is over $10 a gal--that's nuts! At that price it would cost over $5 a gal for a Toluene/Gas mix to yield 100 octane.
and this is why this recession is slowly draining everyone.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:36 AM   #19

Send a message via AIM to Tikka
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbocon86 View Post
As far as the octane boost, acetone's OK, but it is commonly sold as nail polish remover. It will melt paint and certain plastics. Use toluene if you want to boost octane. Toluene is what the refineries use to increase octane and is also the stuff you'll generally find in the half-assed "octane boosters" that you can buy at WalMart and the like--just in very small amounts. Throw a gallon of it in your tank if you want to see any real octane increase.
Not really. Refineries have processes to increase octane that create aromatics and hydrogen from paraffins. The octane increase comes from the creation of aromatics. Toluene is an aromatic, but they don't specifically target that reaction. We try to target benzene since it has high octane and has one less carbon (so you can get high octane with less mass).

Quote:
Which is fine. Because another guy got hit by a deer. Yes, a deer ran into a man.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:47 AM   #20
Elder

I'm no chemist, so I'll defer to your expertise. I see benzene's got a lower octane rating than toluene (101 vs. 114). Is it commercially available to use as an octane booster? Price?

1993 900T Comm Ed #3
1993 900T Comm Ed #249
1994 900T Comm Ed #363
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in