Pentosyth HP II 5W40 motor oil - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2009, 07:41 AM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to soccerrplyr
Pentosyth HP II 5W40 motor oil

I need to get a few things from eeuro and just noticed i need oil. Is this any good. I usually run synthetic rotella T in my stock 9-3 but amsoil/royal purple in my stage 4 9-3. I need oil for the moded 9-3. Opinions

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2009, 08:50 AM   #2
Elder

Pentosin oil is among the best oils in the world. I'm not sure if this stuff is made by Pentosin, but if it is you can be sure it is great stuff.

Quick question: why don't you run rotella in your modded car?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

Last edited by christian900se; 08-30-2009 at 08:53 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-30-2009, 08:52 AM   #3
Elder

http://www.eeuroparts.com/Main/PartD...aspx?id=5W405L

Old 08-30-2009, 05:37 PM   #4
TSLMember

I run it in my Viggen, its all I use in that car. My local auto parts supplier stocks it. They are a local shop, but part of the KOI network, so not sure if its their relation to KOI or not. No complaints with it here.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:44 PM   #5
Elder

why does is rotella able to hold up well other than saying I think so. I've read a few things about some good oils like mobil sheering dow, ect... I'm pushing 23psi..

Old 08-30-2009, 06:38 PM   #6
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerrplyr View Post
why does is rotella able to hold up well other than saying I think so. I've read a few things about some good oils like mobil sheering dow, ect... I'm pushing 23psi..
Ok, in the end alot of it doesnt come down to what oil you use (assuming consistent weight) but how regularly you change it. I would love to get my oil analyzed someday, just to see how Rotella is working. I would definately go with the Pentosin, that is some of the best oil in the market. Ferrari actually has Pentosin make a special 'Ferrari batch' for them, at least thats what a top Ferrari tech told me.

|
|
Old 08-30-2009, 07:01 PM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PaulH
$40 for 5 quarts? seriously? I can't imagine that stuff works that much better than other "cheap" synthetic oils.

Paul

Old 08-31-2009, 04:09 AM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 8valvegrowl
Rotella T Synth is fine for tuned cars. I've seen some UOA's for Rotella T on tuned Subaru's (350whp STI's) with very nice results at 4-5K OCI's. Rotella T Synth has a high total base number, and withstand high-temp shearing better than Mobil 1.

Use a good filter (GM long life, Mann, PureOne, Wix/Napa Gold, etc).
Pick a good Visc (5W-40 is good).
Change it regularly.
All is good.
Why spend ridiculous money on oils?
Unless you are running in endurance racing, or seeing a LOT of track time, just use a good name brand synth.

Last edited by 8valvegrowl; 08-31-2009 at 04:11 AM.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:41 AM   #9
TSLMember

A 5L jug of Pento HP 5w40 is ~$25 locally.

Then I just purchase Mann oil filters in bulk and I'm good to go.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:17 PM   #10
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to 2legit2quit
opinions on mobil 1 15w 50 high performance oil?

i live in FL pretty warm all year round
Old 09-02-2009, 03:48 AM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 8valvegrowl
That's a pretty high visc oil, probably pretty decent protection even in the heat.

I don't have any direct experience with that oil, however. Mobil 1 is a good oil, but I think it definitely requires heavier than typical viscosities to protect turbo engines.

The people over at bobistheoilguy.com might have more insight into that particular oil.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:09 AM   #12
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit View Post

I use it in my boat which is a 1999 Shamrock 246 which has a multi port FI Chevrolet V-8 that puts out 330 shp (shaft horsepower). I ran 25w-40 oil during the first 50 hours for break-in. Operating a marine engine is akin to driving up a steep grade constantly. Boat has 865 hours of use........No problems..No oil use ..........I still would use either 0w-40 Mobil1 or 5w-40 Mobil 1 which is what I use in my viggen.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:12 AM   #13
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit View Post

I run that all summer long in Indiana with no problems. 20 bucks for 5 qt jug at wal mart ftw.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in