Flaky Starting, Random Shutoffs - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2009, 07:09 AM   #1
TSLMember

Send a message via AIM to Geudrik
Flaky Starting, Random Shutoffs

The title says it all.
My 2000 9-3 SE (smoking turbo and all) will randomly, refuse to start. It will turn over all day, but will not start. The solution to this is letting it sit for about an hour then starting it again and it starts right up.

But, as of yesterday, the car shut off on my twice randomly, but there were hints to it comming. Before it would quit, the car would lag, sputter a little bit and almost stall - then it would just stall.

I got the car started yesterday when this happened the first time, gave it a little gas and she started right up (usually, this method does not work)
Also, the dying only happens right after I've hit a large bump.

Theres plenty of gas (I run premium) and oil - the basics are covered.

Anyone have any idea what might be causing this flakyness?

-Pat
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2009, 07:16 AM   #2

Crank position sensor going bad?

Do you have about 150K miles?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-20-2009, 07:19 AM   #3
TSLMember

Mike, I have 156k

Old 08-20-2009, 07:34 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 8valvegrowl
CPS is quite likely, now that I think about it.

Also, if you're going to get one of those, you might as well pick up the turbo gasket kit from eEuro, before we slap your newer TD04 on that bitch. I'll talk to Nick the next day or two and see if he can host us next weekend to get at least something done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:40 AM   #5
TSLMember

Alright, heres the scoop. My car is in williston at quinton brothers repair. Should I have them put a new CPS in? The info that I gave them yesterday, was something fuel related, filter, pump etc. At this point, the car wont start at all. It died yesterday, halfway down the on-ramp to I-89 so I had trippleA come get me.

What Next? I won't be able to buy anything until midnight tonight (yay paychecks). Eeuro does not have a CPS. But I can certainly buy the turbo gasket kit.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:24 AM   #6
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geudrik View Post
Alright, heres the scoop. My car is in williston at quinton brothers repair. Should I have them put a new CPS in? The info that I gave them yesterday, was something fuel related, filter, pump etc. At this point, the car wont start at all. It died yesterday, halfway down the on-ramp to I-89 so I had trippleA come get me.

What Next? I won't be able to buy anything until midnight tonight (yay paychecks). Eeuro does not have a CPS. But I can certainly buy the turbo gasket kit.
I would definitely have them replace the CPS, at that mileage, that's a real likely culprit.

Buy the gasket kit, and then locally get 4 qts of synthtic oil (I buy RotellaT Synth 5W-40), an oil filter, and a gallon of coolant. That should cover the bases.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:33 AM   #7
TSLMember

waiting on a quote for the CPS. They estimated half an hour to replace it, plus parts.

I just ordered the gasket kit from eEuro, as well as brake desqueeker and silicone vaccuum hoses.

Ill pick up oil when ever i get my car back - they're doing an oil change for me, so I doubt we'll need 4 quarts (are we draining the car?) but I'll pick some up. If the CPS doesn't fix it, I'd like to take a look at the fuel filter as well while we have the car jacked up.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:57 AM   #8
Elder

I usually drain the oil during a turbo swap, so pick up 4 qts.

CPS should be in the ballpark of $100-125 for the part ($70 on eEuro).

We can check out the fuel filter too..I have a spare new one with banjo washers sitting on my workbench.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:35 AM   #9
Elder

CPS $70 Bosch eeuro. Just did it a week ago from the bottom seemed easier. Did mine at 84,xxx.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:39 AM   #10
TSLMember

CPS replaced, now to get on with swapping out the vaccuum lines. By the way - anyone know what the small round thing is, that has a vaccuum hoses comming out of it. It's located (if you're looking at your engine) on the right of and next to the DI (maybe down right). Is round, almost cylendrical. Not sure what that is, but I broke a vaccuum line (has a Y adapter on it..) and now my check engine lights on wahoo! But ya, anyone know that that part is? I suspect it's got something to do with the timing chain, but I really havn't the foggiest idea.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:44 AM   #11

Sounds like the brake vacuum booster that's on auto trans models of the 9-3....

That uses cam revs to power a small vacuum pump.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:02 AM   #12
TSLMember

So not having the vaccuum line hooked up would throw the check engine light then, yes? Sounds important...
Old 08-26-2009, 08:03 AM   #13
Elder

^Yep, that's it. I broke that line on my 9-5 last year when I was swapping my brake booster. eEuro or Saabsite has the new nipples/lines to fix that. Vacuum leaks are bad for idle and EFI calculations.

Also, probably makes your brakes feel like shit right now.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:21 AM   #14
TSLMember

So with the turbo gasket kit, I bought a LF ABS sensor bracket and a PCV Update kit. That should fix that broken hose, yes?
Old 08-26-2009, 04:40 PM   #15
Elder

The broken hose Quintin Bros found or the brake booster hose you broke that you mentioned in post 10?

'Coz the brake booster hose is this one: http://www.eeuroparts.com/Main/PartD...spx?id=5056031

Old 08-27-2009, 07:15 AM   #16
TSLMember

k no the brake booster hose isnt broken. Its the pCV stuff (I'm like 87.2% sure) xD
Old 08-27-2009, 08:11 AM   #17
Elder

Ah, coz you stated you broke a line coming off the vacuum pump on the driver's side of the cylinder head. Those lines are what I posted.

The PCV lines connect to the intake, the valve cover, the throttle body, and a little oil catch tank on the back of the engine block. Those are mostly located on the pass. side of the engine bay.

Any vacuum lines missing, broken, or leaking are likely to trigger dreiveability issues and/or CELs.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:42 AM   #18
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geudrik View Post

Q.Bros???

They tossin' a hemi in there while they're working on it? Them be some old-school knuckle-dragger-Mopar boys there.....

....I didn't know they actually did day-to-day repair. Thought they were primarily a speed shop.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:48 AM   #19
Elder

I was surprised to hear that too, but I'm pretty sure that's where he had it towed. In this economy, y'never know!

I know they dyno tuned a guy's Sky Red Line (Ecotec DI Turbo to the neighborhood of 300+HP) so they must know some of this new-fangled hi-tech shit too.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:57 AM   #20
Elder

I talked with them back in the day when I wanted to dyno-tune the Z....and I never ended up doing anything. Really wasn't too bad what they were asking; something like $100/hr plus whatever parts they'd have to throw at it (jets, springs, weights, who knows what else). I'd be interested to see what they have for active tuning equipment there....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in