hydraulic clutch issues. - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2009, 07:28 AM   #1
Avid TSL User

hydraulic clutch issues.

I can't figure out what is wrong with my clutch. I am not losing any fluid, but the pedal needs to be pushed to the floor to even have a chance to engage the gears. The weird thing is that the distance you have to push it will change, and sometimes it will almost feel normal, and sometimes it will barely catch at all. The Cluch and slave cylinder both have about 30k on them, the master cylinder has about 135k I believe. I don't have records and that is how many miles are on the car. I'm thinking that since it is not losing fluid that it is the seals in the master cylinder, this might also explain why the clutch changes. Does anyone have any experience with a faulty master cylinder. Is it safe to assume that the slave cylinder would leak fluid if bad. Thanks . 1999 9-3 viggen.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2009, 09:17 AM   #2
lms
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

No, the slave will not leak if it is bad, and the master will leak sometimes if it's bad. Kind of a crap shoot, but since your clutch and slave only have 30k, then maybe it's the master which are cheap. My slave is going out, but it's making noise and has intermittent engage issues, but car has 65k on it. I would first reverse bleed the slave and see if that helps. What some do is take the brake fluid cap off, place a board between the seat and the clutch making sure the clutch is depressed half way. You then leave it over night and this is supposed to get most of the air out.
Good luck.
Remember, the salve is a slave to the master. If the master is going out then there is only so much the slave can do.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-12-2009, 09:34 AM   #3
Elder

interesting. i dont know how i'd feel about leaving the brake fluid reservoir exposed to oxygen all night....

Old 08-12-2009, 11:58 AM   #4
lms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castor Troy View Post
interesting. i dont know how i'd feel about leaving the brake fluid reservoir exposed to oxygen all night....
Never tried it myself as I have a modified motive, but people swear by it. Plus it would take a hell of a lot longer then 12 hrs for O2 to contaminate your brake fluid.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:04 PM   #5
Elder

i could see leaving a pressure bleeder on it over night, if the air had been run through a dryer. but leaving it exposed to air all night is going to severely contaminate the fluid (it will absorb moisture out of the air, ruining it)
Old 08-12-2009, 02:03 PM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
More then likely the slave has air in it. The bleed valve can't do anything to help with that as the slave is below the bleed port.

I have the same issue right now and I have a new master cylinder in my car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:03 AM   #7

I had similar symptoms to you but I could see leaking out of the clutch master cylinder when the clutch was pushed. I tried to DIY it but just could not get the last bolt out for anything . So I had to bring it in to someplace to finish it.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:30 AM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
I'm assuming your last bolt was the one in the engine bay closest to the steering rack lines. It certainly is no fun and there is a write up on here by me that explains how to get it. You end up with the socket on it cock eyed and use a breaker bar with an extension and push as hard as you can on it to keep it from rounding off the nut as you turn to loosen it. Once its loose you just go back to a regular ratchet with the extension and remove the nut. Voila.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahumCC View Post
I'm assuming your last bolt was the one in the engine bay closest to the steering rack lines. It certainly is no fun and there is a write up on here by me that explains how to get it. You end up with the socket on it cock eyed and use a breaker bar with an extension and push as hard as you can on it to keep it from rounding off the nut as you turn to loosen it. Once its loose you just go back to a regular ratchet with the extension and remove the nut. Voila.
Yup. Wish I had known about this sooner lol.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:53 AM   #10
Elder

Yup it certainly wasn't easy at all and a bit nerve wracking to do.

I used a deep 13mm, universal joint, extension, and breaker bar. I had to use the extension so that I could clear past the strut bar with the breaker bar. It was certainly nerve wracking but the nut finally broke free which was a huge relief.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in