How Often Do You Hose Down/Clean the Engine Area? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2009, 08:29 AM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

How Often Do You Hose Down/Clean the Engine Area?

Haven't really seen this one posted, but I'm curious how often people do or do not take their Saabs and clean out the Engine area? What do people usually do as a routine when cleaning this area and is there anything that can be applied that keeps the engine clean/resistant to fluids leaking around?

I ask this because everytime I go to wash my car, I put the engine cleaner and hose down the engine compartment with the pressure hose. I go to the self-cleaning place since I don't have a pressurizing type of hose. I don't know if it is in my mind, but the car seems much calmer after I do this?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2009, 08:40 AM   #2
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

No hosing, just degrease and detailing sprays.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-07-2009, 09:01 AM   #3
Elder

power washing engine isn't the greatest idea as it can loosen electronics and get water in places it shouldn't be.

x2 on sprays. i just used a good foaming degreaser on both my cars and it worked great. put it on let it sit and used a light mist of the hose (no pressure) to rinse it out. then after it dried ran the car for a while to clear out the smell and completely dry it out. worked great. then if you want to really get into i use rogs and some simple green (i think that is safe on the hands rubber etc..) oh yeah and when you use a degreasing spray make sure your car isnt on pavement or cement that you care about as it will destroy it.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:51 AM   #4

Definitely agree about not pressurizing because it can loosen things or do things, but I don't think it's too big of a deal to do it every once in a while or hopefully I haven't done anything bad to my car!

I'll try the engine cleaner/foam. Is this the stuff from auto parts places or can I use the engine cleaner at a wash place (it's a purple looking foam that comes out...might even be green...forgot the color...just the switch one puts on that says engine cleaner).

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2009, 10:58 AM   #5
Elder

Never pressure wash, but I do clean the engine bay on a regular basis on all 5 cars. Probably once every quarter or so. A clean engine block not only looks good, but also allows you to find any leaks you may have so you can nip them in the bud, plus keeping the thick grime, oil and gunk off the block allows the engine to cool itself more efficiently.

In seriously dirty engine bays, it takes a bit of elbow grease and time to get that crap off, but if you do it regularly, all it really takes is something like Gunk, Engine Brite, Simple Green, etc. and a gentle hosing off. Just be sure to protect some of the more delicate electronics: Distributor (classics), connectors to the DIC, etc.

'91 900 Turbo SE Convertible
'93 900 Turbo CE #116, modified
'02 9-5 Aero SportWagon, MT
'06 GTO, modified
'08 9-7X 6.0 Aero. The fastest stock Saab I've owned, bar none.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:11 AM   #6
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to DanF.
I used the "engine cleaner" setting at the local car wash 2x when I first got my Aero cause it was damn dirty. Not oil, just tons of road grime, and it made a big difference. As long as you don't use the full pressure setting, you should be fine, after all they were designed to get wet.

Simple Green is great, but don't let it get down the dipstick to the oil, cause it literally breaks it down.
1987 900T parts car
1987 900 SPG parts car
1991 900T sold
1997 9000 Aero sold
2004 9-5 Aero sold
Old 08-07-2009, 11:17 AM   #7
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF. View Post
Simple Green is great, but don't let it get down the dipstick to the oil, cause it literally breaks it down.
i forgot to mention that. yeah.. very bad to get it IN the engine. on the outside though it works great.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:24 AM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to rafal
Anyone has tried that spray with a lemon scent?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:28 AM   #9
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafal View Post
Anyone has tried that spray with a lemon scent?
pledge?

use it on wood not the car.. sorry... lol
Old 08-07-2009, 11:30 AM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to rafal
I meant engine bay cleaner. There was one at autozone the other day but decided to go with the regular one. It kinda stinks.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:07 PM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
All the time, pop some quarters in and go to town. I was told not to do this on the 85 tho.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 08-07-2009, 12:34 PM   #12
Elder

I cleaned the viggen's engine bay pretty extensively when I bought it - toothbrushes, cotton swabs, and degreaser. No pressure washing.

Since the initial cleaning I'd say have given it a once-over every half year. And of course, whenever you take something apart, clean the new areas you can get to.

Quote:
^ IronJoe doesn't park, he lands.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:35 PM   #13
Elder

Never.

I get yelled at.

I don't care.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:52 PM   #14
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to ohlins8990 Send a message via Yahoo to ohlins8990
about twice a year, I'll get out some wheel cleaner, put it on a sponge and scrub, then hose off with a shower spray hose dealy. I dress with tire shine afterwards.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:23 PM   #15

Got some engine "gunk" and sprayed it, then went to the wash and used the pressure hose, but on a lighter setting (don't have to hold the thing full bore), and then I used the engine cleaner at the wash. Probably a bit overkill, but seems to do ok. I think from this point on, I'll use the wash procedure with a light spray down vs. full pressure like I have done in the past a couple of times only. I'll be looking for some of that lemon stuff though too.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:04 PM   #16
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
I clean mine ALL the time.
I tend to use a degreaser, like purple power in strong concentration, and then hose it down.

I almost always do it while the engine is warm so that a: the oil comes off faster, and b: the heat dries up any water that might pool in places I didn't want it to.

Once you clean it, it's MUCH easier to keep clean.
I have pictures, somewhere.

lemme look....
Old 03-19-2010, 04:15 PM   #17

tons of road salt and grease... Used both Purple Power/Water mix and GUNK Engine Brite

Just need some mothers to polish the delivery pipe.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:16 PM   #18

put the hose on mist and used a rag to wipe it all down.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:52 PM   #19
JK
Elder

I blast the hell out of mine on a regular basis. Pressure wash, or hose on high pressure.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:34 PM   #20
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
Ditto. high pressure for me, and always while the engine is warm/hot.
that way, the grease is already liquid, and blasts right off...
and, if I get stuff wet, it dried quickly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in