Roof Rack: Is this pushing it? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2009, 12:24 PM   #1
SAAB Road Master

Roof Rack: Is this pushing it?

I'm relocating myself to Vermont within the next year and I want some input regarding the load capacity of Saab roof racks.

If I get this:

And I broke down all of this:

Bed frame and mattress

Dresser

Desk

Would I be able to strap all that down to the roof? I have received a few negative opinions regarding the whole situation, but I thought I'd ask anyways. I'm just trying to save some money with renting a U-Haul and a car trailer.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2009, 12:26 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to soccerrplyr
put the dresser in the back hatch and the bed/desk on the rack with some straps. I've moved a bed/desk on a rack on my 9-3 before from nh to Vt. Where in Vt are you moving?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-29-2009, 12:30 PM   #3
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerrplyr View Post
put the dresser in the back hatch and the bed/desk on the rack with some straps. I've moved a bed/desk on a rack on my 9-3 before from nh to Vt. Where in Vt are you moving?
I've been looking for places around Hartford, VT. I just got back from a 10-day trip to VT to test out the living situations there. I'm coming back Oct. 14-20th to look more in depth at housing and so forth.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:30 PM   #4
JK
Elder

I know from expereince that those particular dressers and beds are pretty fucking heavy and get really dense when broken down. I would say that it would be really pusing it. Look up the weights of those items, I bet IKEA has them listed somewhere.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:36 PM   #5
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK View Post
I know from expereince that those particular dressers and beds are pretty fucking heavy and get really dense when broken down. I would say that it would be really pusing it. Look up the weights of those items, I bet IKEA has them listed somewhere.
That is what I was thinking as well - I remember when I bought everything and made the small jaunt from Bloomington to Lino Lakes. A terrible headache of a drive. IKEA appendages hanging out of the Saab in all directions.

AND I forgot about the 2 other sets of wheels, the 2nd engine, and the ridiculous amounts of Saab parts that I will need to bring with me too. ARGH.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:39 PM   #6
JK
Elder

I was bored and work is slow...

Bed weight (assuming queen size): 113lbs
Dresser weight: 150lbs

And I can't image that other thing weighs very much at all.

You might be able to pull it off, it would certainly be "pushing it." I don't think I've ever tried to put nearly 300lbs on my roof rack, so I can't confirm how well it would hold up.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:41 PM   #7
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK View Post
I was bored and work is slow...

Bed weight (assuming queen size): 113lbs
Dresser weight: 150lbs

And I can't image that other thing weighs very much at all.

You might be able to pull it off, it would certainly be "pushing it." I don't think I've ever tried to put nearly 300lbs on my roof rack, so I can't confirm how well it would hold up.

If you are still bored at work the you should kidnap a fat kid, grab some duct tape, and see how the rack holds up... for good measure, I'd suggest a gravel road.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:44 PM   #8
JK
Elder

We are short on our supplies of fat kids.

I have plenty of stuff in the warehouse that weighs 300lbs, but I KNOW my rack won't hold it, it already had a kink in it from the previous owner.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:49 PM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to guru
I wouldn't. We ruined a perfectly good Ikea desk by breaking it down and strapping it to the roof of the 9-3 and we only took it 10 miles. If it rains at any point during your journey, you are completely screwed.

Try selling it on Craigslist before you head out, and get new stuff at Ikea in Massachusetts when you get to VT.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:50 PM   #10
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
No. Terrible idea.

Those bars are only rated for 150 pounds, MAX. (and even that is pushing it a little) I would imagine the total rating is quite a bit less, given those are not the true Thule 400XT mounting towers.

Do not do it. Terrible.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:58 PM   #11
Elder

yeah i dont see it happening.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:59 PM   #12
SAAB Road Master

Woohoo for U-Haul.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:05 PM   #13
c900 Grognard
Elder

If that's one of those POS ikea mattresses that rolls up, you can probably just fit it all in the hatch, and put a tarp over whatever sticks out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJoe
Korean wheels, man. Like catnip for the ladies.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:18 PM   #14
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to aireeca
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesidrivethesaab View Post
I'm more likely than not moving to Colorado by May. Meaning: I will not be attending Carlisle. Again. (READ: I'll go for the longest-distance-traveled-award next year maybe?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesidrivethesaab View Post
I've been looking for places around Hartford, VT. I just got back from a 10-day trip to VT to test out the living situations there. I'm coming back Oct. 14-20th to look more in depth at housing and so forth.
Shit, woman. Minnesota then Colorado then Vermont, you get around more than I do. Do U-Haul.

You looking to land something in West Lebanon or at Dartmouth or what? Hartford isn't exactly an employment center for Vermont.

Also, helpful hint from someone who moved from the Midwest to Vermont, don't drive through Canada with a trailer. The Canadian customs and immigration folks love to pick on those folks.

Last edited by aireeca; 07-29-2009 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:25 PM   #15
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by aireeca View Post
Shit, woman. Minnesota then Colorado then Vermont, you get around more than I do. Do U-Haul.

You looking to land something in West Lebanon or at Dartmouth or what? Hartford isn't exactly an employment center for Vermont.

I was all over New England the last ten days. Drove out to Niagara Falls (hung out with TurboJohnny), then off to Vermont for 5 days (hung out with Pete93t and Saab4life93t), went to Boston with granite_embedded, and then off to Connecticut where we stayed with christian900se. Swung through NYC on the way back to Minnesota for a day too.

This year has been filled with traveling I guess. At least I'm back to moving to New England. I like it so much more than Colorado - it's a better fit for me. I'm actually just transferring to a Lowe's in New Hampshire, so the work situation is taken care of.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:16 PM   #16
Flirting With TSL Addiction

I have stood on the load bars before and I weigh 210lb. Thats just on one bar, so if the weight was distributed across 2 bars (4 points) it would tecnically be able to hold 420 ok, if one bar held me ok. But then you have to think about G forces and wind resistance, I would say 250-300 should be safe. 300+ is the red zone (75lb on each point +resistance and G's )

EDIT: I have thule's
Old 07-29-2009, 02:20 PM   #17
Elder

yeah. there is a difference between one person standing on a bar for a moment, vs 300+lb of stuff for a couple of days.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:30 PM   #18
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to Tikka
Bah, I'd prolly load it up and see what it looks like. If you can focus 200lbs on one point without a problem, a little more weight over the length of the bar shouldn't be too much trouble. Just make sure you're concious about it and make sure to check its composure often. Whats the worst that can happen? I highly doubt the bars will just plain snap off on the highway, the worst case I can invision is the bars buckle and you're left with a tiny dent/mark on your roof. I'd say that risk outweighs the cost of renting a uhaul.

The weakest link in the system would be the mounting towers, and the major force they'll feel is the air resistance, so you should try to keep this thing as aerodynamic as possible.

EDIT: Ok, perhaps you should trust the experts. Not as exciting tho.

Quote:
Which is fine. Because another guy got hit by a deer. Yes, a deer ran into a man.

Last edited by Tikka; 07-29-2009 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:34 PM   #19
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
The clips will bend, and then pull off of the car at speed/when you slam on the brakes/take a sharp corner. Then you will have heavy chunks of ikea flying all over whatever road you happen to be driving on.

I have seen this exact thing happen 4 times due to overloaded racks.

150 pounds max.

EDIT: Disclaimer: I sell this stuff for a living.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:44 PM   #20
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
That will be too much weight. It is the dynamic load that is the problem, Potholes, frost heaves, braking etc.

These are about 25-30lb boxes 17" rk and it came loose twice on the 4hr roadtrip. Fun to get out of the car when the rack is hanging over the door and the passenger side is packed with wheels too.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in