9-3 vs 900 convertible top - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2009, 07:27 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to nomadtw
9-3 vs 900 convertible top

my guess is no, but...

are they somehow compatible? if i had a replacement 9-3 top, could it be installed on the ng900?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2009, 07:41 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to rafal
no. one is electric other one is hydraulic.

they first went with hydraulic for the c900, then they switched to electric in ng900 and again chose hydraulic in the og9-3.

source: saabdriver87

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-02-2009, 07:47 PM   #3
Elder

What Rafal said. Plus, the structural design is different. This is evident when you look at the fabric stitchings and fabric joints.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

Old 07-02-2009, 07:50 PM   #4
Avid TSL User

that's all what i figured

i know that the 900 is electric... and loud... but i wasn't talking of replacing the whole system, just the top with the metal and cloth etc
Old 07-02-2009, 08:06 PM   #5
Elder

I think the frame work (mechanical) within the top is different between the models unfortunately

|
|
Old 07-03-2009, 04:37 AM   #6
Avid TSL User

so the real finding here is that nobody has actually tried it? just assumed it wouldn't work

both the electric motor and the hydraulic system use a linear actuation to move the top up and down right?

what about the geometry of that motion, lenght of the linear motion, start and end thresholds?

are the mounting points different?
Old 07-03-2009, 05:00 AM   #7
Elder

I just assumed you wanted information, you are asking us about it so if you think you know better then try it. I own a convertible, Ive had the whole top mechanism replaced, and I saw it happen so Im telling you what I know.

|
|
Old 07-03-2009, 05:31 AM   #8
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian900se View Post
I just assumed you wanted information, you are asking us about it so if you think you know better then try it. I own a convertible, Ive had the whole top mechanism replaced, and I saw it happen so Im telling you what I know.
no don't get me wrong, i appreciate the input, and the speculating that it wouldn't work is good, i was hoping to draw someone out who HAS tried it, my reply wasn't directed at you, or with any sort of malice.

i'm still shopping for a car, i don't have one at all

the reason i wanted to know is because i have an opportunity to get a heck of a deal on a brand new 9-3 top, and there's an otherwise awesome looking 900 on ebay right now but with a bad top.

i figured that with the larger glass window in the back someone would've attempted to do a swap...and again i was hoping to pull them out of the woodwork to post about having done so
Old 07-03-2009, 07:50 AM   #9
Elder

Ah, sorry about that haha. Anyways, I just looked at my car and then at a 01' 9-3 vert and the mounting points and mechanics look the same. I measured the hydraulic and electric actuators and they are mounted at the same point and therefore have the same travel so they should be interchangeable. The only problem would be the wiring, Im sure that is different given the completely different actuator systems.

The roof design is slightly different, but Im almost definate there is not a single person here who has done the swap. There is always a first time for everything, might as well try it out!

|
|
Old 07-03-2009, 07:39 PM   #10
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian900se View Post
Ah, sorry about that haha. Anyways, I just looked at my car and then at a 01' 9-3 vert and the mounting points and mechanics look the same. I measured the hydraulic and electric actuators and they are mounted at the same point and therefore have the same travel so they should be interchangeable. The only problem would be the wiring, Im sure that is different given the completely different actuator systems.

The roof design is slightly different, but Im almost definate there is not a single person here who has done the swap. There is always a first time for everything, might as well try it out!
i very well might

it'd be a really nice thing to know, especially if it's doable. the window would be bigger...

from what you say it sounds like they're at least physically compatible

i wonder if the shape change is more just for aesthetics and for that larger rear window, but not actually a functional change in the way it works

[edit] seems like i was unknowingly reading in the og900 forum or something...

Last edited by nomadtw; 07-03-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:08 AM   #11
Flirting With TSL Addiction

NG900 vert top

"there's an otherwise awesome looking 900 on ebay right now but with a bad top. "

And I have an awesome top w/motors that I removed from a vert I bought for the engine (V6). Has to be a replacement top because the car itself was not pretty. I have everything but the tonneau cover motor (sold that). Cables, limit switches, tonneau, etc.
There's like 3 bolts on each side behind the rear seat side panels. My vig vert mounting looks the same, but has weeping hydraulics. Sad.
Once the 8 or so electrical connectors were undone, it only took 15 min. to unbolt and lift out. Got to be the easiest removal I've ever seen.

Last edited by bobg450; 07-04-2009 at 02:14 AM.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:22 AM   #12
Avid TSL User

wow i need to wake up before i post

Last edited by nomadtw; 07-04-2009 at 07:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in