Things to fix on my new Saab. - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2009, 05:40 PM   #1
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to Gobes
Things to fix on my new Saab.

I went and picked up my ( https://saablink.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40825 ) 1999 Saab 9-3 today in New York and so far I really like it. There are a few minor issues that I want to deal with though.

* The transmission would not shift into 5th gear on the highway last night and also downshifting into 2nd is damn near impossible. PO said it was no big deal and that the shifter linkage just needed to be adjusted; Does that sound right?

* The SID is completely pixelated.

* The speedometer only lights up to 90 MPH like night panel is always on, even when not.

* A CEL came on and the PO said it's most likely one of the O2 Sensors.

* The car has 111K miles on it, what kind of regular maintenance should I be looking to have my Saab mechanic do?

* There is also an issue with torque, as in I would like more of it

Last edited by Gobes; 06-21-2009 at 06:45 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2009, 05:49 PM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

for shifting, all i can offer is my 00 its sticky into and out of 3rd, thats it, fo you it could be the linkage hopefully someone else offers some insight as im owndering too.

the cel, go to auto zone, bowworw a code reader for free, and itll tell you teh code, im sure someone on here has had it/knows how to fix it.

and for the speedo you might need to replace some lights thats probably it, not too much can affect it haha

Amateurs.

2000 9tree
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-20-2009, 06:11 PM   #3
SAAB Road Master

I want to do this car the right way and fix everything that needs to be fixed ,so then I'll be able to start the performance modifications without having to worry.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:02 PM   #4
SAAB Road Master

I really just hope I don't have to get a new tranny, I guess I'll have to wait for an expert opinion from the Saab Shop.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:11 PM   #5
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

This is what you have to do to change the speedo lights.

It's no fun and took me two days after throwing out my back. Only half my speedo light up. Easy to change the bulbs themselves, but not easy to get too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:14 PM   #6
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Campagna View Post

This is what you have to do to change the speedo lights.

It's no fun and took me two days after throwing out my back. Only half my speedo light up. Easy to change the bulbs themselves, but not easy to get too.
haha oh my god.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:23 PM   #7

Yeah BTW it took like 7 hours to change them. So make sure you plan ahead of time.... lol

Old 06-20-2009, 07:24 PM   #8
Avid TSL User

whats the blue wire coming out of the fuse box?
Old 06-20-2009, 07:43 PM   #9

Good question... can't for the life of me remember what it was for....

i'll have to look tomorrow....

Old 06-20-2009, 07:49 PM   #10
Avid TSL User

haha cool, cause i thought it was odd there was just a random blue wire coming from the front of the fuse box unless you used it to splice power from it for like a gauge or something.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:30 PM   #11
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
I changed my speedo lights without taking apart the entire dashboard, knee plate, steering wheel and console.

SID, Stereo and all switches come out. That exposes a few torx screws which allows you to remove the dash fascia. Then just unscrew the cluster and remove it.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by srp View Post
I changed my speedo lights without taking apart the entire dashboard, knee plate, steering wheel and console.

SID, Stereo and all switches come out. That exposes a few torx screws which allows you to remove the dash fascia. Then just unscrew the cluster and remove it.
There were screws behind the ACC that i couldn't get to any other way. - Maybe it was different per year or something, but i couldn't get them any other way. Plus i have the wood stuff on the front where i couldn't get the ACC out unless i disasembled the center console...I followed some directions poster on this forum or Central, can't remember exactly. The steering wheel was easy to remove, so i didn't want to work around it for all the longer it took to remove.

Don't have any idea how you got the left side of the facia off without unscrewing the bottom by the fuse box?

Old 06-20-2009, 08:57 PM   #13
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PoisonBeef
as per the SID google search BBA re-manufacturing. They have been good to many people around here.

99 3-door 9-3 - SOLD
99 5-door 9-3SE - td04, 3" dp, t5 suite - Sold

2001 Audi a6 2.7 twin turbo
1986 Audi 5000 2.2 turbo
2012 VW Golf TDI
1982 Yamaha Seca xj650
Old 06-20-2009, 09:05 PM   #14
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
Not sure what unscrewing the bottom of the fuse box has to do with removing the dash facia. When you remove the SID, stereo and all buttons it exposes torx screws. You take all those out and you should be able to just remove the facia. Don't recall but you may still need to remove the steering column covers directly behind the wheel.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisonBeef View Post
as per the SID google search BBA re-manufacturing. They have been good to many people around here.
I have heard nothing but good from this company. Even Saanet.com likes them. I understand that they do good work and have excellent customer service. I will be using them shortly for my 99' 9-3.

1997 900SE Talladega (SQR stage 4)
2006 9-3SS Aero
Old 06-20-2009, 09:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by srp View Post
Not sure what unscrewing the bottom of the fuse box has to do with removing the dash facia. When you remove the SID, stereo and all buttons it exposes torx screws. You take all those out and you should be able to just remove the facia. Don't recall but you may still need to remove the steering column covers directly behind the wheel.
Believe me, i didn't unscrew anything i didn't have to. Like i said instructions were followed.

SID unit I had done from a company in the UK that replaces the whole screen.

ebay link

It only took 9-10 days, but it's basically a new one and fixed the design flaw. Plus under 100 bucks.

http://i4.ebayimg.com/06/i/001/36/37/c6c1_1.JPG

Old 06-20-2009, 11:52 PM   #17
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Campagna View Post
Believe me, i didn't unscrew anything i didn't have to. Like i said instructions were followed.

SID unit I had done from a company in the UK that replaces the whole screen.

ebay link

It only took 9-10 days, but it's basically a new one and fixed the design flaw. Plus under 100 bucks.

http://i4.ebayimg.com/06/i/001/36/37/c6c1_1.JPG
The dash face can be removed without pulling out the center console and lower kick panels. No need to remove the ACC/MCC panel. Once the radio and its cage is out the two screws that hold it in below that assembly can be gotten two, pull SID to disconnect the fasten belt sign and maybe one screw, one on each side of the steering wheel, two above the instrument panel, one behind the headlight switch, one behind the dimmer switch/blank next to dimmer. Then just move the steering wheel as far out and remove the two trim halves and pull out the turn/wiper stalks so the dash face can clear.

Pretty sure that was it when I did it.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:22 AM   #18
SAAB Road Master

Lol guys I'm not really worried about the speedo lights/SID, it's the transmission that I'm mostly concerned with.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:33 AM   #19
Elder

Send a message via AIM to viggenkid
if the synchro's are bad you will need a new trans or rebuild it.

next time you go do downshift to second, push forward and "kiss" 1st really quick and then see if it slides into second. you have to do this on my brothers 99.

you could also go about flushing the trans oil with good synthetic and adjusting the linkage. see where that gets you.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:13 AM   #20
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
what the other craig is explaining, is exactly what my 9-5 does. (sorry, the 9-3 trans is like butter)
you can't downshift into 2nd, without touching 1st.

just buy the trans I linked you to, and bring it to the CT shop day, whenever it happens.

Last edited by g96nt; 06-21-2009 at 12:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in