After 5 days and 2000 miles, a review of my Viggen. - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2009, 06:35 AM   #1
TSLMember

Send a message via AIM to HalfWindows
After 5 days and 2000 miles, a review of my Viggen.

Hello Saabists! I have now owned my 2001 Viggen Convertible for about 5 days. I've logged 2000 miles on it, and thought I would post my review of the car.

What I like:
*The car is absolutely stunningly gorgeous. I was in the grocery store yesterday and found myself looking forward to leaving so that I could stare at the car as I walked back to it.
*The seats are the best. I've owned a lot of cars, and the only seats that have even come close were in my V70R. Still not as good as the Viggen seats, though.
*The power in second gear is addictive.
*The stereo is better than I expected, given the specs.
*The handling is also better than I expected, despite lots of cowl shake.

What I don't like:
*Speaking of cowl shake, It's awful.
****THIS IS BIG! The interior build quality and materials are BY FAR the worst of any European car I've ever driven. The mirror switch is from a Saturn! Come on!
*I wish the headlight wipers worked correctly. If I wash the windshield, the car looks like it's having a stroke for about a day until the right wiper returns to its resting point.

My overall impressions:

I like the car. I still need to get some things sorted. The engine mounts are pretty bad and I'll be putting in new ones at some point this week. I also think that installing the VRK should help with the cowl shake a bit. Something needs to be done about it. I'm also going to fit better tires. It has Kumho something or other tires on it now. I just ordered some Continentals to replace them.

I believe with these upgrades/fixes, the car will be much more fun to drive.

I'll keep this thread updated.

Mike
1986 Chevy Cavalier Z24
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2009, 06:43 AM   #2
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Good to hear!

Consider the Genuine Saab 6 point brace as well. From all that I have read, it makes a large difference on the convertibles.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:44 AM   #3
Site Moderator

They sure are pretty, aren't they? Those seats are as good as seats get.

The steering rack brace & clamp will help a lot. I had a lot of problems with my mounts until I upgraded to the ones from Taliaferro. Have fun!

Old 06-17-2009, 06:44 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to aireeca
Thanks for the update. Glad everything (mostly everything) worked out.

I can't help you with the tires (my rubber of choice is NLA) and the interior build, but here is a recent thread about your options for the headlight wipers.

Also, the seats. Even the seats in my SE are fantastically comfortable. No fatigue at all.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-17-2009, 06:49 AM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
Yes, the 6pt brace is a must on a convertible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:02 AM   #6
TSLMember

Thanks for all of the quick responses and suggestions. This forum makes owning the car a more pleasant experience!

Mike
1986 Chevy Cavalier Z24
Old 06-17-2009, 07:08 AM   #7
JK
Elder

Man, I think the cowl shake on my 5 door is bad, it must be really out of this world on a 'vert!
Old 06-17-2009, 07:09 AM   #8
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Rip those stupid wipers off. Also get the wheels checked before you get new tires.... they could be bent.
Once all the normal wear tear items are refreshed it's a solid car. Enjoy.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:36 AM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to rafal
Yes, check for bent wheels. As Zach said once; they are soft as a warm butter.

Did you try blocking the top BPC hose?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:01 AM   #10
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafal View Post
Yes, check for bent wheels. As Zach said once; they are soft as a warm butter.

Did you try blocking the top BPC hose?
Yes. I did the block of the hose. It didnt seem to make any difference for me.
1986 Chevy Cavalier Z24
Old 06-17-2009, 10:09 AM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to rafal
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfWindows View Post
Yes. I did the block of the hose. It didnt seem to make any difference for me.
Then you can plug it back on. Looks like that valve is still healthy in your car.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:23 AM   #12
Elder

Send a message via MSN to liketheword Send a message via Yahoo to liketheword
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK View Post
Man, I think the cowl shake on my 5 door is bad, it must be really out of this world on a 'vert!
It is.

My ex-gf bought a 9-3 vert. The cowl shake was TERRIBLE!

I had a 5 door at the time. Even w/o the 6-point is was night and day better then the vert.

I got a 6-point for my car then hers.

I would say the 6-point on the vert brought the car up to my stock 5-door standards w/ cowl shake. Which was livable.

My 5-door now w/ the 6-point was heads and tails better by the same margin w/ regard to cowl shake.

I may have a friend mock-up a beefier 6-point for my new 5-door and sell my used GS 6-point as I have yet to install it on the new 5-door. Of course that would be sans hardware. But, I am sure Nick @ GS could source you the nuts & bolts. The custom 6 point would be bolted directly to the subframe no subfram brackets to insert.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:14 AM   #13
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by liketheword View Post
It is.

My ex-gf bought a 9-3 vert. The cowl shake was TERRIBLE!

I had a 5 door at the time. Even w/o the 6-point is was night and day better then the vert.

I got a 6-point for my car then hers.

I would say the 6-point on the vert brought the car up to my stock 5-door standards w/ cowl shake. Which was livable.

My 5-door now w/ the 6-point was heads and tails better by the same margin w/ regard to cowl shake.

I may have a friend mock-up a beefier 6-point for my new 5-door and sell my used GS 6-point as I have yet to install it on the new 5-door. Of course that would be sans hardware. But, I am sure Nick @ GS could source you the nuts & bolts. The custom 6 point would be bolted directly to the subframe no subfram brackets to insert.
I would be interested in purchasing your 6 point whenever you're ready to sell it.

Mike
1986 Chevy Cavalier Z24
Old 06-17-2009, 06:18 PM   #14
TSLMember

Yeah what is with the saabs little light switches! I have never seen such low tech stuff on any car never mind a car that is actually a nice car!!

Those stupid rolly switches on the maplight? The little separate switch when you flip the visor down??

But on the outside, everything is beautiful, and the seats are MIGHTY comfy!

And why is there no boot on the handbrake?!?! Those little bristly things piss me off, has anyone done anything with theirs? (I know elkparts sells a nice looking leather one, anyone have it?)
Old 06-18-2009, 09:34 AM   #15
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoursolace View Post

And why is there no boot on the handbrake?!?! Those little bristly things piss me off, has anyone done anything with theirs? (I know elkparts sells a nice looking leather one, anyone have it?)
I have the one from State of Nine. It looks really nice, but it is pretty tight when the brake is on. I rarely use the handbrake because Houston is so flat, so it works ok for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in