Trim Level differences? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2009, 10:10 AM   #1
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to nomadtw
Trim Level differences?

i'm hoping that you will share your knowledge with me on this, in this single thread.

regarding the ng9-3, what are the differences between the base and the SE, convertible specifically

i know that the base has the lpt and the se has the HOT

and near as i can tell, to get the ACC you have to have an SE

and i know that the lpt uses an inferior intercooler design.

i also know that an SE will have leather, but the base had to have leather optioned onto it

are there other differences? also are any of my conclusions listed above wrong?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2009, 10:35 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to aireeca
Realize that once you get to 2002, things get crazy with leather door panel inserts on SEs and specially embossed seats proclaiming "turbo." A leather and cloth interior also comes into play. It's really like they just dug around in the parts bin and said, "Hmm, let's try this!" They didn't get as crazy as this, but you can kind of tell they wanted to.

Also, there are regional differences to options with these cars. For instance, the rear heated seats.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-16-2009, 11:21 AM   #3
Avid TSL User

Also be aware that some of the SE's weren't HOTs. The only way you can tell this is by the VIN number.
Starting in 2000, the car looked the same for the most part but started using T7 engine management that the Viggen had started using in 99MY.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:29 AM   #4
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aireeca View Post
Realize that once you get to 2002, things get crazy with leather door panel inserts on SEs and specially embossed seats proclaiming "turbo." A leather and cloth interior also comes into play. It's really like they just dug around in the parts bin and said, "Hmm, let's try this!" They didn't get as crazy as this, but you can kind of tell they wanted to.

Also, there are regional differences to options with these cars. For instance, the rear heated seats.
well to help narrow it down for me
i'm looking for a convertible
ideally i'd like a 99 with a 5spd
but i'd take any year with a 5spd, or a 99 with an auto, i really dont' want a t7 auto, as i do plan to get in there with the t5/t7suite and it appears that the t7 autos are more difficult to work with than the t5 autos...

my budget is quite low honestly, and the real question here is is it worth it to get the se when the base models go for so much less, and there's so many more of them out there
Old 06-16-2009, 11:31 AM   #5
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathead View Post
Also be aware that some of the SE's weren't HOTs. The only way you can tell this is by the VIN number.
Starting in 2000, the car looked the same for the most part but started using T7 engine management that the Viggen had started using in 99MY.
yeah i run every vin i'm looking at through saabvin.com, but thanks for the heads up on that

so is there anything i'd be REALLY missing getting a base instead

and are there base ones out there that have the ACC?
Old 06-16-2009, 02:25 PM   #6
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadtw View Post
my budget is quite low honestly, and the real question here is is it worth it to get the se when the base models go for so much less, and there's so many more of them out there
Well, just a thought since you mentioned having a low budget, you know the convertibles are:

1. More flexy than a hardtop 9-3.

And 2.: Really expensive to fix when their top mechanism starts going south.

Were I you, I'd go look at one of each and see if the ACC is negotiable. I find mine a bit annoying these days since, every time I get into the car for the first time, it blasts warm air in my face.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:58 PM   #7
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to SaabDriver87
As far as options go:

9-3 base convertibles '99-'01 came with leather, manual climate control, 15" alloy wheels and the standard black lower trim pieces.

9-3 SE convertibles '00-'03 came with ACC (MCC also appeared on some early SEs), color matched ground effects kit, 16" wheels or sport package with 17" wheels, optional rear spoiler, wood dash panels (some came with the standard black dash), chrome door handles, and I'm sure I'm missing something.

'03 SE convertibles came in 3 variations:
-There was just the standard SE that came with the above listed options
-Sport Package cars had a Viggen body kit, Viggen seats, 17" double three-spoke wheels and a carbon fiber instrument plate.
-The last variation was the Designer Package which came with a snazzy two-tone red and black interior a Viggen marble dash and the standard SE options

And of course when the convertible tops start to go bad as Erica pointed out they can be a money pit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:04 PM   #8
Elder

^^^^Should be stickied. Very nice breakdown of information.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:41 PM   #9
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Well, just a thought since you mentioned having a low budget, you know the convertibles are:

Were I you, I'd go look at one of each and see if the ACC is negotiable. I find mine a bit annoying these days since, every time I get into the car for the first time, it blasts warm air in my face.
well the car is not to be a DD, it'll probably get less than 2000 miles a year on it,

it's more a plaything, and it's entire purpose is to be a convertible.

i've read everything i have found about the top going bad, and none of it actually sounds too involved to do the repairs, at least to the common things that go bad
i'm quite handy with a wrench, and electronics.

as for the flexibility of the car, that's unavoidable since i'm going to get a convertible, i had considered a 1st gen miata but don't know that i want to do without the added comforts that the saab affords... including the rear seat.

basically my budget is smaller than it actually has to be because i'm alloting money aside to get the GS 6 point brace, poly bushings, a larger ARB, and some additional cash for replacing other things that may (read, probably will) need replacing like engine mounts, trans mounts, etc.

being that it's not replacing a DD, i'm not in a HUGE hurry to get the car, although i would like to get it sooner than later, if it takes waiting around for me to get lucky, i can do that. i'm really trying to figure out if it's worth waiting to get lucky on the perfect car or if i'll still be satisfied getting a lesser car, which i'll get lucky finding much more quickly
Old 06-16-2009, 03:52 PM   #10
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:

you can fix that. Instructions in the owners manual.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in