Bought Viggen sight unseen. Driving 1500 miles home in it. Am I crazy? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2009, 03:51 PM   #1
TSLMember

Send a message via AIM to HalfWindows
Bought Viggen sight unseen. Driving 1500 miles home in it. Am I crazy?

Hello Saab Enthusiasts!

After lusting over the Viggens for years, I've finally bought one. I found an excellent deal from a dealership in Denver, CO. I'll be flying to denver tomorrow and driving the car back to Pennsylvania. The salesman assures me that the car is top-notch, however, with a 1500 mile drive ahead of me, I'd like to check it over before driving back. I have pretty decent mechanical ability, but I'm new to Saabs. I've only ever seen a viggen in person once. I'm really putting a lot of trust in the car salesman, as I have only booked a 1 way ticket!

Anyway, I've read a LOT of threads on here and on some other forums.I know that I should be making sure it doesn't have any cracked rims, and I need to make sure that it isnt too sludgy. Is there anything that I'm missing?

Cheers,

Mike
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2009, 04:08 PM   #2
Avid TSL User

Congrats on the new purchase.
Too bad the weather wont be little nicer in Pa for your commute.

Make sure you inquire about the history of the DIC

What part of Pa are you from?

Best of luck, oh watch for cops
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-10-2009, 04:11 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to rafal
Which Viggen are you getting?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:14 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to viggenkid
i always carry a spare di in my trunk...
Old 06-10-2009, 04:14 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to aireeca
Congrats and welcome to the link!

Ohio is bad, bad, bad for staties. I believe they can't let the Cannonball glory days die there.

Are you crazy? No. I was on one of the more crazy retrieval runs.

Smooth sailing and enjoy your car.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:16 PM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to AeroDynamic
spare DI and check out the PCV system
Old 06-10-2009, 04:18 PM   #7
TSLMember

The car is a Gray 2001 Convertible. I carfaxed it, and the carfax shows very extensive service history from the Saab dealership in Denver. I will make sure to stop by that dealer before I leave town to get a detailed printout of the history.

Are the DICs so prone to failure that I should purchase one before leaving Denver?

Mike

PS: I live near Erie, PA.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:21 PM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfWindows View Post
The car is a Gray 2001 Convertible. I carfaxed it, and the carfax shows very extensive service history from the Saab dealership in Denver. I will make sure to stop by that dealer before I leave town to get a detailed printout of the history.

Are the DICs so prone to failure that I should purchase one before leaving Denver?

Mike

You can find them used for $100 or less. That might not be a bad route to go. The dealer record might show just how old it is.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:30 PM   #9
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfWindows View Post
My condolences. Not on the Pennsylvania residency but on the motherlode of Ohio you have ahead of you.

Also, be careful of the potholes on I-90 through Cleveland. They've gotten some patch down but this winter was brutal. Hell, be careful of Ohio drivers in general. Especially Buicks going 50 mph in the left-hand lane.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:32 PM   #10
Elder

You should be fine. Since you checked out the carfax, if the service records are pretty complete, I cant see any problems.
Best thing to do: test drive it before you leave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
Old 06-10-2009, 04:33 PM   #11
TSLMember

I spoke with a guy at an indie saab garage in Denver yesterday. I was originally hoping to schedule an appointment to have the car thoroughly checked over before I drove it home, but the guy was not very helpful. I ultimately decided not to make an appointment. It looks like they sell used parts, so I will call again tomorrow and inquire about a DIC.

How often do they typically fail? How often should I replace it as preventative maintenance?
Old 06-10-2009, 04:35 PM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to viggenkid
usually at 60k intervals, make a bigger difference if it has a tune on it.

also the MAF should be done at 60k intervals.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:36 PM   #13
Elder

Some more stats mileage/known services/number of previous owners would probably help here.

As for failure, I have a '01 OG 9-3 SE HOT and the DI has never gone on me in the 4.5 years I've owned it.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:40 PM   #14
TSLMember

Just a little background on myself:

I actually sell cars on ebay for a living. I'm an internet sales guy for a local car dealership. I think that's why I'm more apt to trust the salesman. I do, however, know that many things can go wrong. I hope he has really checked the car over as he said he has.

The car has had two owners. One in Denver, and one in Florida. Both owners had the car serviced regularly by their local Saab dealerships. I was very happy when I saw the carfox.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 06-10-2009, 04:43 PM   #15
TSLMember

The car has 95,000 miles on it. The carfax's records just say things like "Manufacturers Recommended Maintenance Performed" and "Engine Serviced." It's not very specific. I'll have to get the specifics from the dealership. I hope they cough up the info. Some are weird about sharing that stuff because of their "Privacy Policy."
Old 06-10-2009, 04:47 PM   #16
Elder

to answer your question:

yes you are crazy!

and welcome.

good luck.. things should be fine... just have a spare DI and a triple A card just in case. probably won't need it but never know.

also be careful if it has the stock Viggen Wheels as they can get bent easily on pot holes etc. make sure they all hold air very well and aren't bent....
Old 06-10-2009, 04:47 PM   #17
Elder

Aha.

Find out if they've replaced the AC compressor. 95k is right in the target zone for when the pulley bearings start to squeal like a pig and potentially eat your belt. There is a way to short-belt the car that is completely reasonable (find thread here). You might want to pick up a 1805 mm/71.06 inch belt just for the ride home.

Common short-belt parts numbers:

Gatorback 4060710
Duralast 884510
Saab 4961058

Too bad you didn't join up before the night you fly out. I think there's at least one or two folks still around who could have pulled the dealer service information on the car for you.

EDIT: The diagram for the short-belt routing is toward the back of the 9-3 owner's manual. It's basically a "euro-delivery" mod since apparently you could get non-AC cars over there. Should you need to do an emergency delete, you'll of course loose the AC and your defrosting capability. Shouldn't be too much of an issue at this time of year, though.

Last edited by aireeca; 06-10-2009 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:52 PM   #18
TSLMember

The carfox shows that the serpentine belt was replaced at 85,000. That leads me to believe that the compressor may have also been done at that point. The carfax records are very fragmented at best. I'll have a clearer picture once I get the actual service history.

The first thing i'm going to do is look at the Compressor to see if it's "shiny and new."

Are those belt numbers a direct bypass if the compressor dies?

Mike
1986 Chevy Cavalier Z24
Old 06-10-2009, 04:54 PM   #19
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Yes, you are nuts. But, you live in PA so that puts you in the normal category.
You did post here, so that proves you're not all there.......................

Congrats on the new purchase.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:55 PM   #20
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by aireeca View Post

Too bad you didn't join up before the night you fly out. I think there's at least one or two folks still around who could have pulled the dealer service information on the car for you.
I'm actually not taking possession of the car until Friday morning, so I have some time. I'll be arriving in Denver tomorrow evening and staying overnight with some friends. If anybody could pull the information, I would be greatly appreciative.

Mike
1986 Chevy Cavalier Z24
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in