Help Me Choose! - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2009, 03:40 PM   #1
Elder

Help Me Choose!

I have a few projects I want to do this summer, but I will only be doing one because I dont want to spend all my money

So I thought ask you to help me choose which project I should complete this summer. Here they are, thanks for the advice!

1)
Full Audio Upgrade:
-B Quiet sound deadening
-Polk Audio DB components in the front, co-axials in the rear
-Sony XM4s 4 channel amplifier

2)
Bi-xenon Projector Retrofit:
-Infinity FX-R bi-xenon projectors
-Clear lense upgrade
-6000k bulbs, Hella ballasts

Both are going to be in the region of $500-600 so there is not too big of a cost difference. Whichever one I go with, I will start a thread documenting my progress.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2009, 03:52 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
Pass on the Sony amps. I have never been a fan of Sony car audio.

Also note, you can get bulk sound deadener on ebay for MUCH less than most places.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-07-2009, 05:32 PM   #3
Elder

Actually, this amp is one of the best small amplifiers you can get right now (without paying out of the nose). It has the potential to fit where the stock amp sits too, pretty cool especially since I will pass on all amps if I cant hide it.

|
|

Old 06-07-2009, 05:59 PM   #4
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Radio.

Even with the crappy headlights on the NG/9-3's, I just don't get the obsession over projectors. Loud tunes/dynamat = more fun espcially in a convertible.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:01 PM   #5
Elder

5-600 on audio is a waste. spend 100-200 on a decent set of speakers and call it a day

the stock amp is plenty powerful.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:15 PM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
I would do audio.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:17 PM   #7
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabkid37 View Post
5-600 on audio is a waste. spend 100-200 on a decent set of speakers and call it a day

the stock amp is plenty powerful.
Agreed. There are so many better things to do with $500 than major car audio overkill.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:22 PM   #8
WASSAB Member
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Immo Send a message via MSN to Immo Send a message via Yahoo to Immo Send a message via Skype™ to Immo
If I had to pick between the (2) I would do audio

2002 9-3 Viggen Convertible (Silver w/Blue Top)
2010 Jeep GC SRT-8

Old 06-07-2009, 06:37 PM   #9
Elder

i never understood why people waste money on audio, especially an amp, when you have a decent factory amp.

i blew out factory speakers, put in a set of 80 or so dollar infinity kappas and its the best sounding system i ever had, and gets plenty loud.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:42 PM   #10
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
Did you already buy the stuff for either project? Is any of your current audio dead or dying? Are you current headlights busted up at all?

People say $500 is a waste in audio. But then your going to have someone say $500 is a waste in retrofitting HID's. Which one do you want to do more?

Projectors and HID's are cool and all... But I don't think they fit to well with the NG/OG body style. Just my opinion..

I bought 2 Alpine V-Power amps 10 years ago... They have been in 5 cars and are still going strong. I think I spent about $250 each back then.

I will be doing the sound deadening this summer also. Have not been in a vert at all so I'm not sure how much extra road noise there is compared to a hard top car. But I'd imagine you'd see a significant increase in quietness.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:44 PM   #11
srp
Elder

Also, have you taken a look at the Alpine PDX series amps? I saw one open box at BestBuy the other day and was surprised at how small the foot print was.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:49 PM   #12
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Someone was telling me the other day that the Alpine audio equipment is still one of the better of the available systems on the market.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:06 PM   #13
Elder

Well, as it stands I have a pair of headlight assemblies that I got for a steal ($40 shipping ). The reason why I even started with the audio upgrade is that the passenger side door woofer is dying.

I guess I see what you guys prefer haha, I have a new question then: what would be the best sound quality- upgraded dash speaker/upgraded door woofers or components for the front?

|
|
Old 06-07-2009, 07:16 PM   #14
srp
Elder

With components you really shouldn't have a large separation between the woofer and the tweeter. In the same respect the tweeter in a coax would do no good being blocked by your leg.

I have Polk/Momo components up front with the tweets in the dash. I had originally planned to move the tweeter closer to the woofer but wanted to keep it stock looking. So I left it in the spot for the 3.5". It sounds good to me and that's all that matters!
Old 06-07-2009, 07:20 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to PAsaab900
it depeend on how much u want to spend... plok is a good way to go... or even alpine type r or x....i would deff stay away from anything sony has for audio.... have had nothing but problemes with them in the past....
Old 06-07-2009, 07:39 PM   #16
Elder

How well does the stock equipment power those polks? As I wrote originally, I plan on using Polk Audio db6501 components up front, but was also considering infiniti's as well because I tend to like sharper highs and lows.

|
|
Old 06-07-2009, 08:48 PM   #17
Avid TSL User

well, i have a set of rockford fosgate (circa 2000ish) fanatic p woofers from a component set in the door, I am not yet using the tweeters as they are MIA but the stock amp powers the woofers very nicely. Im used to big amps and subs and im content with the sound if that says anything.

-96 900SE 5spd - 14.5psi of fun
Old 06-07-2009, 09:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adub View Post
well, i have a set of rockford fosgate (circa 2000ish) fanatic p woofers from a component set in the door, I am not yet using the tweeters as they are MIA but the stock amp powers the woofers very nicely. Im used to big amps and subs and im content with the sound if that says anything.
I'd have to agree with most people here and go for the audio upgrade.

I also have to agree with Adub about Rockford fosgate woofers, I have newer ones and installed them on my dad's car - they sound awesome (with stock amp as well) and I also put in Rockford Fosgate tweeters in - and they provide awesome sound quality compared to the stock speakers.

As for head unit - theres one from Blaupunkt that installs pretty quickly/easily, I know one of my friends ng900's has one installed and it has a really awesome iPod interface and everything.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:35 AM   #19
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
I vote for the audio as well. I'd go for a 4-channel amp and power all of your speakers. I've got a 75x2 powering the 6x9's in the back of my 900 and they drown out the fronts in the dash and the doors run by the factory amp and head unit.

The plus side to having a powerful amplifier run all the speakers is that you'll be able to hear your tunes at highway speeds...with the windows (or top) down.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:02 AM   #20
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmhdesigns View Post
I'd have to agree with most people here and go for the audio upgrade.

I also have to agree with Adub about Rockford fosgate woofers, I have newer ones and installed them on my dad's car - they sound awesome (with stock amp as well) and I also put in Rockford Fosgate tweeters in - and they provide awesome sound quality compared to the stock speakers.

As for head unit - theres one from Blaupunkt that installs pretty quickly/easily, I know one of my friends ng900's has one installed and it has a really awesome iPod interface and everything.
go audio. $500-$600 on audio in a convertible is a decent price and a wise descion if you run with the top down a lot and like good clear undistorted (at any volume level) tunes.

i have to second the Blaupunkt though. their amps are inexpensive, fit in the stock location and their decks are a direct fit for the NG900. Just get the GS Fill kit for $15 and they are great. I have one that required no extra wiring or harness. the stock plugs on the NG go right into the back of Blaupunkts stuff. I did the full stereo in my car.. door speakers, dash speakers, deck, amp, sub, wiring, and cap for under $600 and it sounds great. ask anyone who has heard it. it allows me to hear it clearly (both highs mids and bass) even with all windows down at 85 on the highway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in