EBC Brake Pads for Viggen - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2009, 03:40 AM   #1
Elder

EBC Brake Pads for Viggen

Anyone gotten any?

I know the caliper is supposed to be the same as the regular 9-3's, but EBC specifies a different pad on the Viggen (front) than the non-Viggen models.

Same pad? Different pad?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2009, 04:49 AM   #2
JK
Elder

Look up the part number on a set of stock pads, if that part number interchanges with non-viggens then they SHOULD be the same pad, no clue why they would have a different part number. Sometimes aftermarket/non-OEM companies get screwy with interchanges.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:12 AM   #3
Elder

Blah same part # on eeuro... Hopefully I'm not effed when I change them!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 05-20-2009, 06:18 AM   #4
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I've had greenstuffs on the front for some time. Low dust, real good stopping power and easy on the rotors.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:21 AM   #5
Elder

looking at the EBC catalog, this is what i've come up with:

the pads are an identical shape, but the regular 9-3 pad has a slightly different style clamp for attaching to the caliper, than the viggen. but, looking at the picture, they are basically identical and should be interchangeable?? pads are shaped the same, 156x74x19mm.

it's very confusing that they'd offer different styles for the reg 9-3 and the viggen, since nobody else that i have looked at does...
Old 05-20-2009, 06:22 AM   #6
Elder

bullseye, FYI that is the ONLY positive review of the green stuffs i have ever read. i had greenstuff pads + ebc rotors on my ng900 before I put the brembo kit on. that shit was TERRIBLE
Old 05-20-2009, 06:35 AM   #7
Elder

The redstuff is pretty good. I will change to yellowstuff pads next time, is that what you are going with?

|
|
Old 05-20-2009, 06:45 AM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
I have greenstuffs on all 4 corners, Viggen up front and Aero in the back. I just ordered the regular 9-3 ones. The calipers are the same, the carrier is the only diff part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 05-20-2009, 07:15 AM   #9
JK
Elder

I hate my greenstuffs I have on my 9-3, even for street use. They turn the front wheels black within a week (does not constitute low dust in my opinion), and I got them to fade out during rallycross on a 30 degree day. I know of a former member here who had theirs fade out after minimal lapping on track days.

They are easy on the rotors, but at this point I'd rather have a pad that helps the car stay on par with my Aero and BMW when braking. I'm sure the added leverage of having the viggen setup makes them more tolerable, but I am still very unimpressed with them.

Conversely, I am on my second set of Redstuffs on my Aero and I think they are great!
Old 05-20-2009, 07:23 AM   #10
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian900se View Post
The redstuff is pretty good. I will change to yellowstuff pads next time, is that what you are going with?
Yellowstuffs up front, red stuffs in back. OEM Viggen rotors.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:23 AM   #11
Elder

the greenstuff pads i had werent even enough to keep up with spirited driving through the mountains in montana. they're absolutely terrible if you do any kind of performance driving at all, and care about not dying.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:24 AM   #12
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castor Troy View Post
looking at the EBC catalog, this is what i've come up with:

the pads are an identical shape, but the regular 9-3 pad has a slightly different style clamp for attaching to the caliper, than the viggen. but, looking at the picture, they are basically identical and should be interchangeable?? pads are shaped the same, 156x74x19mm.

it's very confusing that they'd offer different styles for the reg 9-3 and the viggen, since nobody else that i have looked at does...
Thanks Ben!

I was just worried I'd have all the shit ready to go and then the pads don't fit and I'd have to put it all back together with the old stuff and be sad.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:07 AM   #13
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK View Post
I hate my greenstuffs I have on my 9-3, even for street use. They turn the front wheels black within a week (does not constitute low dust in my opinion),
I found treating my wheels with embalming fluid helped greatly in reducing the amount of brake dust the wheels retained
Old 05-20-2009, 08:14 AM   #14
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Even back when I was running stock early 900 brakes with zimmerman cross drilled rotors the responses on the combo were mixed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 05-20-2009, 09:35 AM   #15
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek's Turbos View Post
Even back when I was running stock early 900 brakes with zimmerman cross drilled rotors the responses on the combo were mixed.
What combo?

Old 05-20-2009, 10:12 AM   #16
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
I've used a handful of pads, and now that I use hawk HPS, I'm NEVER going back.
The only pads I haven't used that I have heard are good, are porterfields.

It's likely that EBC has different pads listed, beause the viggens are slotted.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:37 AM   #17
JK
Elder

The HPS is still a pretty tame street pad, fine for most people, but probably not the best on a summer only car that sees track time. Hawk does have a great lineup of other more agressive pads as well. I'll have to wrestle between some of their more agressive pads or the yellowstuffs for my next set.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:43 AM   #18
Elder

Apparently, the new yellowstuff compound is superior in every way to the redstuff pads... My redstuff pads can be a little hairy when they are dead cold, the new yellowstuff compound solves this issue while gaining even an even higher friction co-efficient when warm. Kind of a win-win if you ask me.

|
|
Old 05-20-2009, 10:47 AM   #19
Elder

i have hps's in the brembos for regular driving; they have a good initial bite, but i wouldnt track them. i'm contemplating getting a set of the carbotech XP10™ or XP12™ pads that feffman recommended. 250 to 2000 degree working temp is a pretty wide range
Old 05-20-2009, 10:52 AM   #20
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian900se View Post
Why go to the yellows?

Green stuff on my 9000 aero are garbage. I need new pads because I feel its dangerous driving fast w/ them. Ive heard good things about the porterfield pads.

-jk, you like the red stuff enough to use them again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in