Best diagnostic tool for my Viggen? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2009, 01:14 PM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Best diagnostic tool for my Viggen?

The evil CEL just popped on in my 99 Viggen. Is there a generic scan tool at Pep Boys or autozone that works well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2009, 01:15 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to VWSAABVT
Yeah, all obd11 readers will work, but the best ones are the ones at the store you can use for free

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
stg 5 99 9-3 coupe
96 900se sold
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-19-2009, 01:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWSAABVT View Post
Yeah, all obd11 readers will work, but the best ones are the ones at the store you can use for free
Yes, I know anything free is good. As a tool junkie, I'd like to purchase one. Something that works well and is reasonably priced.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:28 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to rafal
There is nothing better than get a compliment on a car from the autozone employee. Go and ask them to check your CEL.

The advance auto parts store already hates me for that. Once I made a guy walk out when it was like 25 degrees outside

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-19-2009, 01:30 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
Hop on ebay, and search for "dsm 2g datalogger"
if you find any that come with a palm, it's your best bet.

(I have one)
Old 05-19-2009, 01:43 PM   #6
Elder

get a tech II

yeah they are expensive but really? with that you can then charge for services and do pretty much anything related to the computer programming etc... lights, alarms, locks, etc...
Old 05-19-2009, 01:52 PM   #7
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
dude.... tech II's are like $2000

palms are like $100

http://www.qcontinuum.org/obdgauge/

Last edited by g96nt; 05-19-2009 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:53 PM   #8
Elder

If you're into scan tools, I did NOT have good luck with http://www.myscantool.com/ scanner and their software. My computer would not recognize the port, and their support was awful.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by g96nt View Post
dude.... tech II's are like $2000

palms are like $100

2K is a little steep. And charging folks for help just isn't my style. Besides that, I'd have to use it quite a bit to get back my investment.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:00 PM   #10
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
2K is a little steep. And charging folks for help just isn't my style. Besides that, I'd have to use it quite a bit to get back my investment.
yeah they aren't cheap. i wasn't really serious.. i have seen them on ebay and such for about $1000.
i wish i had the money to pick one up... just so much they can do...

i have heard to stay away from the walmart ones (yeah walmart now has scan tools)..

a palm one for $100 would be sweet... my mechanic has some generic lapsized one that reads everything and is pretty sweet. i believe it is a snap on one and was like $250
Old 05-19-2009, 02:11 PM   #11
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to KChrist
To actually answer your question I frequently use one, identical from the one at AutoZone that costs $70ish. Works great everytime, comes in very handy when on the go.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KChrist View Post
To actually answer your question I frequently use one, identical from the one at AutoZone that costs $70ish. Works great everytime, comes in very handy when on the go.
Now we're talkin' 70 bucks is more to my liking.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:01 PM   #13
Elder

the problem is...
It JUST reads codes.
If you go the route I suggested, you can datalog, read codes, and clear them.
PLUS, you get an ACTUAL definition, instead of having to come back in, and look up the code, after you pull it.

I checked Ebay, and there were no OBDII loggers, but if you pick up any m105 (or similar) with a db9(serial) cable, you can grab an OBDII interface, here:
http://www.multiplex-engineering.com/interfaces.htm

If you read, some are CAN-accessable.. and may help you if you ever want to do your own tuning Via CANport.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:35 PM   #14
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
I scored a great Actron on ebay for like $80 shipped. It has a nice display which shows the full code and not a number that you have to look up in the book. I was able to diagnose and clear my 02 sensor codes.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:15 PM   #15
Avid TSL User

if any of you guys see a tech 2 for a grand let me kno or jump on it just make sureit has the saab software on it, and in my experience with any generic scan tools out there from good to bad they all give the right code but usually the wrong or very generic non helpful answer if any of you guys ever have a code u need to kno about let me kno i have fully up to date saab WIS which for those who dont kno is the saab dealers alldata its pretty sweet if your stumped
Old 05-19-2009, 04:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by g96nt View Post
the problem is...
It JUST reads codes.
If you go the route I suggested, you can datalog, read codes, and clear them.
PLUS, you get an ACTUAL definition, instead of having to come back in, and look up the code, after you pull it.

I checked Ebay, and there were no OBDII loggers, but if you pick up any m105 (or similar) with a db9(serial) cable, you can grab an OBDII interface, here:
http://www.multiplex-engineering.com/interfaces.htm

If you read, some are CAN-accessable.. and may help you if you ever want to do your own tuning Via CANport.
Now you're starting to talk way over my head.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:52 PM   #17
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
I've got an Equus 3100a, works pretty well. I think I paid 80 or 90 bucks from Wally world. On screen code definitions, i/m monitor status, bla bla...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABPRO View Post
if any of you guys see a tech 2 for a grand let me kno or jump on it just make sureit has the saab software on it, and in my experience with any generic scan tools out there from good to bad they all give the right code but usually the wrong or very generic non helpful answer if any of you guys ever have a code u need to kno about let me kno i have fully up to date saab WIS which for those who dont kno is the saab dealers alldata its pretty sweet if your stumped
Keep an eye on CL. I snagged one for the local guy I know for $1300.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:09 PM   #18
Elder

i have an actron scanner that i bought from advance auto for $100 it reads and clears the codes and gives you a definition on screen along with a bunch of other little things, but they are not definite answers to your problems. my bpc valve was faulty, and all that showed up on my scanner was some emissions evap sensor press. high. i had no idea what it was for, then the tech2 was hooked up at carlisle this weekend and pointed out that it was my bpc valve. so there are pros and cons to either. but i would love to have my own tech2
Old 05-19-2009, 05:32 PM   #19

The Tech 2 isn't Just a Code scanner... its the Real McHoy! You either Stick with the Cheap Code Scanner or you Bite The Bullit and Buy The Real Thing and All The Real Diagnostic And Programming Capabilities it provides. Then you can Buy A CANDY Module Too If you want to Be the Only Guy in town With SportsSedan Capabilities too.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:49 PM   #20

I decided to go cheap. 60 bucks for the most simple model at autozone.
Code was 1334 misfire. I'm guessing that DIC I keep in the trunk my just get used very soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in