Saab Link Forums banner

Identifying orignal Viggen wheels vs reproductions

952 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Ohiosnaab 
#1 ·
Is there a stamping or something I can look at to tell me which wheel(s) are factory oringal Viggen wheels?

While examining the wheels on my Viggen the other day I noticed that one wheel is different from the other three. It has much less cosmetic wear on it and the shine is a little different, I think it looks very good.

The other three wheels are showing heavy cosmetic wear and the finish isn't as nice.

So, maybe the single nice wheel is a reproduction and much newer which is why it looks so good. Or maybe single good condition wheels is factory original and stands better to time/wear than the aftermarket wheels.

#4 ·
I should update this thread with my findings.

I rotated my tires recently and inspected each wheel when removed. All 4wheels had Saab cast on the back of a spoke, along with identical manufacturing info cast as well. So it looks like they are all factory Viggen wheels.

The interesting bit:

On 3 of the wheels, the entire rim behind the spokes was painted/coated a dark gray color and one wheel on the rim behind the spokes was painted/coated a light silver color. I'm guessing maybe the one wheel was replaced and is from a later MY.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.