9-3 SE Vert Vs. S70. Face off - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2009, 11:04 AM   #1
Avid TSL User

9-3 SE Vert Vs. S70. Face off

My mom wants to sell her 02 Volvo C70 because she doesn't like her payments on it and the gas mileage is pretty awful. We've been looking at at a variety of cars to replace it and have come down to something like a 2001 9-3 convertible or a a 2001 S70. Those are just general cause I'm not sure of the similar years and my mom isn't interested in the 9-3 hatch or the 9-5.

My question is which car would be more reliable for her, being that most of the cars we've looked at are around 70-90k miles and she really has no knowledge of cars and seems to have pretty bad luck with them. She's told me a number of times that really all she cares about is the interior and that it can't look cheap like a corolla, etc. Is there something that I can sell her on which would make her choose a Saab over Volvo? And which one gets better gas mileage?

Here are some of the examples we've been looking at. Do these prices seem legit? TIA

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...140181163.html

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...138883425.html

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...140999171.html

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...140961991.html

The last one confuses me cause it's with the same dealer as the previous one, is older, has more miles, but is more expensive?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2009, 11:14 AM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to SaabDriver87
Price difference is probably because the black one is a T5.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-30-2009, 12:14 PM   #3
Elder

I would not even hesitate and go for the first one. Its the only manual in the group, plus its the se for a reasonable price for its condition.

|
|

Old 04-30-2009, 01:22 PM   #4
Elder

Volvo S70 all the way. It's a worlds better car and platform than the GM900/OG9-3. I'd say I'm in a good position to give a recommendation - Mrs IronJoe has a '99 S70 T5 and it's an absolute dream to drive. Much less maintenance than my '99 viggen which has less miles. The 2.3L 5-cylinder is surprisingly smooth, and even with the bigger TD04 than the viggen it spools up faster and there's barely a hint of turbo lag. Less road noise, better interior, higher quality fit & finish, etc etc etc. I could go on and on.

It also has 10hp more than my viggen stock. Keeps up on the highway pretty good too! Saab probably gets 1-2mpg better mileage though. Not worth it IMHO.

EDIT: That's a great price for the black T5 (last link). We bought ours for $6900 and it had around the same mileage (this was Feb 08 ).

Quote:
^ IronJoe doesn't park, he lands.

Last edited by IronJoe; 04-30-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:19 PM   #5
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabDriver87 View Post
Price difference is probably because the black one is a T5.
What type of engine does the white one have? Is it a regular 4 cyl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian900se View Post
I would not even hesitate and go for the first one. Its the only manual in the group, plus its the se for a reasonable price for its condition.
I would agree except I'm not sure that with the way my mom drives and the amount of traffic she drives in that the stick would be a good choice for her. She said she wouldn't mind but I think after a while it would probably irritate her. Me on the other hand, I would definitely choose stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJoe View Post
Volvo S70 all the way. It's a worlds better car and platform than the GM900/OG9-3. I'd say I'm in a good position to give a recommendation - Mrs IronJoe has a '99 S70 T5 and it's an absolute dream to drive. Much less maintenance than my '99 viggen which has less miles. The 2.3L 5-cylinder is surprisingly smooth, and even with the bigger TD04 than the viggen it spools up faster and there's barely a hint of turbo lag. Less road noise, better interior, higher quality fit & finish, etc etc etc. I could go on and on.

It also has 10hp more than my viggen stock. Keeps up on the highway pretty good too! Saab probably gets 1-2mpg better mileage though. Not worth it IMHO.

EDIT: That's a great price for the black T5 (last link). We bought ours for $6900 and it had around the same mileage (this was Feb 08 ).
Good to know. With 105k miles on it, do you think it would still be a reliable car for someone who treats cars pretty poorly? I'd probably change her oil, but wear and tear wise would it be fine?

Old 04-30-2009, 06:42 PM   #6
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fame View Post
Good to know. With 105k miles on it, do you think it would still be a reliable car for someone who treats cars pretty poorly? I'd probably change her oil, but wear and tear wise would it be fine?
Ours has 115k on it now, it's been very solid. She puts gas in it, and I change the oil. That's about it.

Quote:
^ IronJoe doesn't park, he lands.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:42 AM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 8valvegrowl
See I know three people with S70's and all of them have had serious issues. Two are '99's and one is an '00.

The door panels are falling apart (the vinyl is delaminating from the backing material). Trans's are leaking and shot (both '99's are autos, the manual '00 is fine). Random CEL's are the order of the day for all three. My brother-in-law got so fed up with his girlfriend's T5 '99 that they traded it in on an '06 Jetta and took a real bath on it.

They are nice driving cars, but I think they are every bit as maintenance intensive as a Trionic 7 Saab, and worse than a Trionic 5 Saab by a mile.

That being said, for your Mom, I'd say neither is a great choice. Get her an Accord with leather or a Subaru Legacy GT.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:13 AM   #8
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to lowbudgethero
as far as reliability goes saabs and volvos probably arn't the best choice

their motors are great and rarely fail if maintained, but all kinds of electronic gremlins and random things slowly eat away at your soul
Old 05-03-2009, 08:28 AM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 8valvegrowl
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbudgethero View Post
as far as reliability goes saabs and volvos probably arn't the best choice

their motors are great and rarely fail if maintained, but all kinds of electronic gremlins and random things slowly eat away at your soul
Eggsackery.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in