1999 9-3 Convertible pre-purchase inspection - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2009, 07:58 PM   #1
SAABeginner

1999 9-3 Convertible pre-purchase inspection

Picking up a 1999 Saab 9-3 S convertible tomorrow (weekend car for the summer and 20 year old daughter will use when home from college). Anyone have any comments on what I need to consider when taking to the mechanic for the pre-purchase inspection tomorrow morning?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2009, 08:51 AM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Stephen Z Send a message via Yahoo to Stephen Z
The A/C compressor pully wil scieze and throw the belt ,it did on my wifes 01. I did the bypass, I'm sure others more knowalgeable will chime in later
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-27-2009, 09:16 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to aireeca
The late, great Boneriffic had the 2001 version of the car you're looking at.

He also had some problems with his convertible.

His epic thread is here.

Other things he had to do to the car are here.

Also, the hydraulic system for the manual top is sometimes a pain, from what I understand, and can be pricey to fix. Just FYI.

Otherwise, good luck and welcome to the 'link.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:54 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 9000Andrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by aireeca View Post
Also, the hydraulic system for the manual top is sometimes a pain, from what I understand, and can be pricey to fix. Just FYI.
Second that all the way. My father is a saab master tech and he sees problems with top hydraulics very frequently. Sometimes it can be an inexpensive fix, but the systems are very complicated and, like aireeca says, can be really costly to fix if broken. If I were you then, I'd try the top a few times just to be sure.

Good luck
Old 04-27-2009, 10:08 AM   #5
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to someguy
My uncle bought a 99 vert a year ago with 100k on it. I basically picked it out for him and he's loved it ever since buying it. He picked it up as a "throw away car" expecting to only get a year out of it. He was renting a car every week and we figured that he'd break even in a few months if he bought a car.

He has a long commute, lends it to my younger cousins when ever they are around and generally hasn't done anything to it. Every so often I steal the keys and change the oil. The car has not missed a beat while he's driven it, though he's the type of person who would miss an oil light going off in his car.

I have noticed the convertible top to be a bit finicky when I use it. There have been several times when it throws an SID warning and I need to reverse whatever it was I was doing and try again. I don't think my uncle uses the top much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1999 M3 Cabrio
Old 04-27-2009, 10:12 AM   #6
Elder

Send a message via MSN to liketheword Send a message via Yahoo to liketheword
From when I was researching Saab convertibles it seems you are better w/ the hydraulic systems than the electric ones...

As for the A/C mention that is a fluke thing, and by no means localized to convertible models.

A Saab/Volvo convertible are generally decent deals and very safe cars. They are no different from any other modern convertible with regard to care/maintenance. The same things on the hardtop versions apply to the convertible as to what to look for. Be sure that all operates well with the top and take it over a decently bumpy road to see how the cowl shake is on the car.

Another car worth mentioning and often missed is the Volvo C70.

Last edited by liketheword; 04-27-2009 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:15 AM   #7
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to aireeca
Quote:
Originally Posted by liketheword View Post
As for the A/C mention that is a fluke thing,
The AC pulleys tend to poop the bed in the 75K-95K range. I can count about five that have gone bad for people around here in that mileage range within the last two years including mine.

You'll know it by the scream from the belt. Mine only really howled when I shut my automatic climate control off on a nice day, so fiddle around with having the AC on and off during the test drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by liketheword View Post
and by no means localized to convertible models.
Very true. The disease afflicts them all.

Last edited by aireeca; 04-27-2009 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:40 AM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Ball joints, they are permanently attached to the controll arm and not very cheap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in