Cleaning MAF - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2009, 11:21 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

Cleaning MAF

Hi guys what do u use to clean the MAF? Heard that u just take it off and spray it with something
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2009, 03:33 AM   #2
Elder

compressed air?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-22-2009, 03:55 AM   #3
SAAB Road Master

CRC makes a MAF cleaner. I used it on my 9-3 and Trans AM.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:51 AM   #4
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
Brake cleaner or an evaporative solvent like Benzene will work great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 04-22-2009, 07:20 AM   #5
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
I would not use compressed air.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:09 AM   #6
SAABeginner

Electrical contact/parts cleaner works just fine, and it's 100% safe for all MAF components. Available at Home Depot or Vato-Zone.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:05 PM   #7
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
I would not use compressed air.
out of curiosity... why?
Old 04-22-2009, 12:08 PM   #8
SAABeginner

The little elements (wires) are a bit fragile.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:19 PM   #9
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Can somebody explain to me this Theory of "CLEANING A MAF" Why Does it need to be Cleaned? What is this Accomplishing "IN THEORY" What Are People Trying to fix? how is a Thermistor Contaminated? By anything other than WATER? Compressed AIR? Solvents? Thermistors are Quite Delicate and I try to do as little at possible to avoid SHOCKING a Precision Electronic Device.

Last edited by Harvey's Autohaus; 04-22-2009 at 01:21 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:36 PM   #10
Elder

The oil from open air fiters ie K&Ns can coat the small sensors in the MAF. It happened to my friends 00MCY Viggen. The result was a faulty reading from the MAF. The car ran fast as hell, yet threw a CEL. A saab delership took the car in for a full diagnotsic. Cleared it saying no issues...Long story, short: The motor went bang 1/4 mile after he left the dealership. Most things pointed to the MAF. Also Paul @ Automotion (SQR) recommends a fresh MAF when tuning high-output tunes
Old 04-22-2009, 01:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadenais View Post
The oil from open air fiters ie K&Ns can coat the small sensors in the MAF. It happened to my friends 00MCY Viggen. The result was a faulty reading from the MAF. The car ran fast as hell, yet threw a CEL. A saab delership took the car in for a full diagnotsic. Cleared it saying no issues...Long story, short: The motor went bang 1/4 mile after he left the dealership. Most things pointed to the MAF. Also Paul @ Automotion (SQR) recommends a fresh MAF when tuning high-output tunes
Wow that Sucks, I'm sorry to hear that, I've replaced Tons of Mafs Mostly T7 cars due to thermister failure and have never seen a failure due to some sort of contamination that could be corrected by cleaning. Adding Solvent to a Thermister Knowing how it works Sounds Rediculous. Mafs Fail Due to HEAT, Moisture, And Lead to Thermister/processorBoard Failure.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:49 PM   #12
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
Have you ever looked at airmass actual vs calculated? there is even a calculation of this called Airmass Deviation in a % shown on tech2. This along with fuel trims can diagnose it quite quick. Most BAD airmass meters are not failed just have drifted signals. You have to be in steady state constant throttle to read it. If the turbo is packing air then it will read wrong.

One day I collected like 10 AMM (Some known bad, some new off shelf others out of our cars in the lot.) and tied one of my cars on the dyno resetting the ecu each time so that we could get actual readings. There was a 50whp variance between them! I even tested A > B > A to make sure it was good data. T7 will adapt somewhat with fuel trims but they will never throw a fault. This is why saab gave a special page F6 in the T7menu of tech2 to quickly! This is what kills most T7 motors.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs

Last edited by GenuineSaab; 04-24-2009 at 07:31 AM.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:18 PM   #13

I use airmass deviation alot for those Not so obvious leaks, Hav you ever hooked a classic 900 to a Smoke macheine to look for leaks? HAHAHA if you got the Joke, Quite alot of smoke to be found, I've Found that customers HEARD the DEATH RATTLE DETONATION When the Airmass Meter Failed but Never thought anything of it till the Big BANG theory took Full Effect and the Consequence of ignoring that Rattle under boost.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:02 PM   #14
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey's Autohaus View Post
Can somebody explain to me this Theory of "CLEANING A MAF" Why Does it need to be Cleaned? What is this Accomplishing "IN THEORY" What Are People Trying to fix? how is a Thermistor Contaminated? By anything other than WATER? Compressed AIR? Solvents? Thermistors are Quite Delicate and I try to do as little at possible to avoid SHOCKING a Precision Electronic Device.
A little bit after first getting my car, it was feeling a bit doggy. Simply cleaning the MAF made a difference. This is something I have done since back in the GM TPI and Ford HO 5.0 days. It works, and causes no damage that isn't already there. The key is to use a high quality "Electrical Parts Cleaner". Not sure if "MAF Cleaner" is the same formulation, but I would trust Any Electro-Motive type electrical parts cleaner.

It isn't always the remedy, but it's worth a shot. Mine was giving some borderline questionable readings on my Viggen, but was immediately replaced under warranty. That was about 15k miles ago. It just got douched when I changed the air filter.

Last edited by Gryphon; 04-23-2009 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:40 AM   #15
Flirting With TSL Addiction

you gotta watch those electric cleaners and ensure you don't get one the puts down a thin silicone coat along with it as a number of them do.

I've always used the CRC MAF Clearer twice a year with success....still have my orgional MAF on my 2000 Vig and have Nordic Stage 4.

My calculated and actual air mass numbers are nearly dead on now that I can see them in the SID with the SID Sensor function enabled.

x-VWer:

Old 05-30-2009, 01:13 PM   #16
Avid TSL User

This thread just saved me $300. I picked up the CRC MAF cleaner at a local napa, with awesome results. My viggen was kind of slow to get on boost, a little abrupt when it did, and was having trouble reaching end of the yellow on the stock gauge. Nothing dramatic, and no cel, but not quite right. After a quick 15 minute cleaning, boost comes on quick and smooth, and sits rock steady at the edge of the red in 3d gear and up. Just like new.

I replaced my maf at 60K miles, and was about to do the same when I saw this thread. Thanks!

edit - My second maf now has about 55K miles on it. I'm going to start cleaning it a lot more regularly.

Last edited by stevbd; 05-30-2009 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:26 AM   #17
Elder

what was your cleaning process? Just spray and reinstall?
Old 05-31-2009, 08:23 AM   #18
Avid TSL User

Yup, that's pretty much it. Just be careful not to touch the wires themselves. The cleaner dries in a few minutes.

By the way, I have a stock intake. As with your friend's Viggen, I'm sure the problem is a lot worse with open air / k&n filters.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:19 PM   #19
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to mlemorie Send a message via MSN to mlemorie
When I clean mine I usually hit it with something a bit harder first, like a brake parts cleaner to remove the really stuck on crap, and then hit it with the CRC to wash away the residue left by the brake parts cleaner. The CRC stuff works really good but by itself it is kind of weak and it would leave stuff behind.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:54 PM   #20
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevbd View Post
Yup, that's pretty much it. Just be careful not to touch the wires themselves. The cleaner dries in a few minutes.

By the way, I have a stock intake. As with your friend's Viggen, I'm sure the problem is a lot worse with open air / k&n filters.
The K&N's have a lot (seems excess) of oil from the factory
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in