viggenized 9-3 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2009, 07:13 PM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 9000Andrew
viggenized 9-3

So a few weeks ago, I sold my 9k Aero and got a 02 9-3se 4-door, 5spd, etc to replace it. The car has a few miles (circa 125k) on it and some dings but is pretty nice overall. It has the two tone leather/cloth, black/greyish interior. Overall it drives pretty good but it definitely needs some suspension upgrades as it definitely doesn't match up to the old 9k aero handling wise.I have access to a whole viggen parts car so I may be purchasing the suspension off of it, but we'll see. I will say though that the car is really suprisingly fast. The 205hp HOT is smooth as hell and the car will do 100 like nothing.

As for the body, I've already sourced a full viggen kit. Today, I FINALLY got enough time to install the front bumper and rear wing. Below are some pictures of the car with the new front bumper. Me and my father painted it and it came out good..not perfect but NICE considering the body shop wanted 400 to paint it!
More pictures to come with the rest of the kit installed.

Before:

After (notice I painted the top bumper trim strip red instead of the dark grey. I figured it'd be easy to change it if I didn't like it but so far i'm digging it. We shall see though!)

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2009, 07:23 PM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to SaabDriver87
Nice work man.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-19-2009, 07:27 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Incredibly jealous. You've got a 5 door and got the kit together almost instantly after purchase. I need only one more side skirt and the rear bumper once I have a job again to buy them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:29 PM   #4
Elder

I'll have to do a writeup, but painting the bumpers wasn't as challenging as people think. I spent about $100 in materials and maybe 6 hours of time sanding, filling, priming, etc. Paint wise, I went to my local autobody supply and purchased the laser red basecoat premixed in pressurized cans (like you can find at paintscratch.com). For clear, I purchased catazlyzed clear in cans which was cool as hell and easy to use. Point to all of this is that anyone with time and patience can avoid the extra BIG, multi-hundred dollar additional costs of adding a viggen kit or a body kit.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:33 PM   #5
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahumCC View Post
Incredibly jealous. You've got a 5 door and got the kit together almost instantly after purchase. I need only one more side skirt and the rear bumper once I have a job again to buy them.
I know of your struggle my friend! The kit isn't cheap to put together. I got kind of lucky as it cost me less than 1k to put it all together. There's tons of miscellaneous things that you find out though after buying shit though. For example, I didn't know that you had to use a different antenna when installing the rear wing. In addition, I had no idea that bumper brackets were different (but I got lucky b/c they were included with the bumper I got). Finally, I also didn't know the under air shields were different! lol...you live and learn though! In this case, I learned to do my hw first!
Old 04-19-2009, 07:33 PM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to viggenkid
eh not really a fan of the painted trim strip, but i love red saab's.

nice work.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:36 PM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
OH that I all know.

$400 dollars front bumper, $400 wing, 150 driver side skirt, 80 dollars for both bumper brackets, 40 for the front wing liner extenders.

I still need the three piece air shields, and one jack cover at this point lol to match everything I have currently. I keep telling myself, one more skirt and the rear bumper+mounting gear. Then I'll worry about paint.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:37 PM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to rafal
nice tmd saab.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:46 PM   #9
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by viggenkid View Post
eh not really a fan of the painted trim strip, but i love red saab's.

nice work.
Yeah, I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it red or not. I still have to wet sand and compound the clear so I'm not done with it yet. I think the dark grey/black would offset the car well as it would match the side trim. But then again, I could paint the trim body color too.....oh the possibilities
Old 04-19-2009, 07:48 PM   #10
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Sweet!

I like the viggen bumper with the SE sides actually. The line under the fogs carries over to the side skirt pretty well.

It's also red, that's a bonus.

Last edited by Palmer; 04-19-2009 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:51 PM   #11
Elder

another pic...

Notice the rest of the car is filthy. The paint actually patched perfect.

Cool pic after playing around with photo editing and inverting the colors.

Last edited by 9000Andrew; 04-19-2009 at 08:01 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:23 PM   #12
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

I think I like SE sides better than viggen ones.

Either way, nice car.

Does it have the "turbo" embossing on the seats? I see it has the right wheels for that.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:29 PM   #13
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post

Either way, nice car.

Does it have the "turbo" embossing on the seats? I see it has the right wheels for that.
I agree on the side skirts comment. The SE skirts are pretty low and have good style lines. I'm not sure if i'll put the viggen skirts on or what though.

As for the seats, it does have the "turbo" embossed on the seats. I'd trade the turbo lettering for bigger, better side support/bolsters! lol
Old 04-19-2009, 08:32 PM   #14
Elder

i like it
Old 04-19-2009, 08:38 PM   #15
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Seems like the viggen bumper/SE side combo offsets the fat ass the 9-3 has.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:32 AM   #16
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
Car looks good!

I'll keep an eye out for it.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:43 AM   #17
Avid TSL User

Don't know if you've seen this yet, but it looks like a pretty good resource.

If you trust the DIY air shield...

http://www.ericsaabsite.com

I'm sure the guy who made the site will probably field questions too.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:12 AM   #18
Flirting With TSL Addiction

i think it came out great.
a write up would be cool too. i'm trying to get my hands dirty with all this stuff now that i have more free time.

also, my favorite color.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:46 AM   #19
Elder

I agree with palmer, I think the SE skirts are a bit more sculpted and define which I like better than the slightly bulbous viggen skirts.

|
|
Old 04-22-2009, 10:05 AM   #20
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
Disagree unless we are talking about ease of jacking the car up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in