GS Stut Brace - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2009, 09:55 AM   #1
Elder

GS Stut Brace

Ok, so Im posting mainly because Im excited to finally order the GS strut brace for my ng900 vert! It will be the last suspension upgrade I can possibly get short of custom stuff.

Anyways, I just have a question:
I dont have a torque wrench, I know you tighten those nuts on the strut down to 14# but can I just count threads before I take the original off? Also, those of you who have it; does it have a the provision for the ng900 stuff (dont know what it is) that is mounted to the stock bar?

Thanks for the information, just double checking

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Last edited by christian900se; 04-07-2009 at 10:11 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2009, 09:56 AM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to someguy
What size did you go with?

1999 M3 Cabrio
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-07-2009, 10:04 AM   #3
JK
Elder

Counting threads will not help. there can be virutally zero thread difference between 14#s and broken.

Just snug it up, or borrow a torque wrench. Its not something yoyu have to reef on to get tight enough.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:08 AM   #4
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
Yes it has a provision for the map sensor.

Just don't go crazy. Your not a big guy right?
I'm a big guy. I tend to over tighten things.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:15 AM   #5
Elder

Ok, thanks JK for the tightening information. And Im retarded for spelling strut as stut.

SRP: I always wondered what that was, thanks for enlightening me. Im pretty big*... Im about 145, 5'8"

Someguy: its the beefier strut brace that is sold on GS aka the squid bar.

|
|
Old 04-07-2009, 10:17 AM   #6
srp
Elder

I think someguy thought you bought the rear sway bar.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:20 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to someguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by srp View Post
I think someguy thought you bought the rear sway bar.
Indeed, I can't read.

1999 M3 Cabrio
Old 04-07-2009, 12:01 PM   #8
Elder

Oh, ok that makes sense. I bought the 22mm from GS about 16 months ago roughly... One of my first mods.

|
|
Old 04-07-2009, 02:16 PM   #9
Avid TSL User

What I do in these types of cases is undo (just crack it off one turn) one of the existing bolts and re-tighten it to exactly where it was. Feel how hard you had to push on the wrench? That's what you want on all of them after you've re-installed the part. Hope that helps.....
Old 04-07-2009, 02:43 PM   #10
Elder

Thats a good tip, I will do that if I wind up not borrowing a torque wrench. Thanks for the advice, unfortunately the brace has to be fabricated right now so it will ship in a few days hopefully.

|
|
Old 04-07-2009, 04:54 PM   #11
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Yes it has a provision for the map sensor.

Just don't go crazy. Your not a big guy right?
I'm a big guy. I tend to over tighten things.
I couldn't find a provision for a map sensor on mine. I got it last month.

1997 900SE Talladega (SQR stage 4)
2006 9-3SS Aero
Old 04-07-2009, 04:59 PM   #12
srp
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudedog View Post
I couldn't find a provision for a map sensor on mine. I got it last month.
I'll get a better picture when it's light out.

But I made sure to ask Nick when I bought it and he assured me all would be fine. Sure enough when I got it there were two holes to scre the map sensor into.

He may have even said so in a thread here or on SC.

Either way I would contact GS and let them know.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:30 PM   #13
Elder

I dont really mind, I will find a way to mount it on the bar regardless. Is it a good idea to reposition the map sensor? Not change the wiring or the hoses, but just move it?

|
|
Old 04-08-2009, 05:03 AM   #14
TSLMember

If you work on your own car, you should invest in a torque wrench.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:24 AM   #15
srp
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by OcCrew View Post
If you work on your own car, you should invest in a torque wrench.
Good call. I picked up a 3/8" and 1/2" one at Sears not to long ago when they were on sale. I think I payed $50 for each. No they are not a $200+ Snap On wrench but they will get the job done for what I do.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:01 AM   #16
Elder

Thats the thing; torque wrenchs are so damn expensive! I will probably wind up getting one, but for now I will borrow one from my saab mech at Saab of Greenwich for the install.

|
|
Old 04-08-2009, 06:07 AM   #17
srp
Elder

I don't think $50 is expensive. It's tool that you can use for many applications. Every fastener has a torque spec.

How much have you spent on detailing supplies?
Old 04-08-2009, 06:19 AM   #18
Elder

Quote:
I don't think $50 is expensive. It's tool that you can use for many applications. Every fastener has a torque spec.

X2 Also useful on bicycles.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:36 AM   #19
Elder

Quote:
haha, you got me on that one. I would estimate somewhere close to a grand but who knows at this point

I will look at autozone for one, I thought I saw some that were reasonably priced so I will stop by today or tomorrow when I get home from college.

|
|
Old 04-08-2009, 07:53 AM   #20

Send a message via AIM to Elmo
so, with every suspension/chassis mod available, how does your car feel, even being a conv? i'm curious how button'd down you can make a conv saab.

it must feel great knowing that your car will soon handle as good as it theoretically can (short of custom fab).

next step... roll cage
have fun

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in