ng finally killed by sludge. - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2009, 05:52 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to spanky
ng finally killed by sludge.

last year in january i took my valve cover off and found sludge see me post here. https://saablink.net/forum/showthread...ghlight=sludge the other day my car died and it got towed to my mechanic. i said the motor is junk it was starved for oil. i was waiting for this to happen, i had bought a 2.3 aero motor and rebuilt it and have it waiting. my question is i was quoted about 1000 dollars from two garages to carry out the swap. that was just for the labor. does this sound like a fair price? i have kind of wanted to do this myself, but i dont know how hard it will be for a first timer. i also was wonder what clutch to buy for this motor i have a viggen clutch kit right now with about 12000 miles on it, but i am pretty sure i will need something stronger.

-- sorry for the story---Derek

92 dodge w250 cummins.....SOLD

97 900SE blk/blk, 5speed, TD04, upgraded fmic-----Back in the game

03 f250 CCSB Lariat 6.0
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2009, 05:58 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Dude you could do this for so much cheaper.

Harbor freight has a sale on engine hoists at 200 something I think it was in the flyer.

Pick that up. You and a buddy remove the hood, take out the battery and tray, move fluid resivours, drain coolant and oil, disconnect oil cooler lines from oil filter housing, unbolt A/C compressor and suspend it out of the way, disconnect fuel lines, unplug and lay out of the way the ECU wiring harness, disconnect throttle cable for accelerator and cruise control, drop downpipe out, unbolt axle end nuts, disconnect coolant hoses from motor, place lifting hooks in lift eyes, remove subframe with suspension arms in tact, pull struts away from axle assemblies, unbolt front motor mounts and lift out. Transfer what you need to the new motor and do in reverse order.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-18-2009, 06:02 PM   #3

would i have to remove the subframe if i pull it out the top?

03 f250 CCSB Lariat 6.0

Old 03-18-2009, 06:04 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
You could could but if you drop it out it'll give you more room to work with if you have to lower the motor and tilt it at an angle to get it out with the trans attached.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:06 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to someguy
I've read that sludge thread a few times. Kinda interesting to have closure.

How many miles did the engine last between the sludge and this?

1999 M3 Cabrio
Old 03-18-2009, 06:06 PM   #6

what would you suggest for a clutch disc? i plan to run at least stage 3.

03 f250 CCSB Lariat 6.0
Old 03-18-2009, 06:07 PM   #7
Elder

Viggen clutch has been fine on my 2.0 but since your dropping in a 2.3 can't really say.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:07 PM   #8

it lasted 24,000 miles a little over a year. supporting stage 4 mods.

03 f250 CCSB Lariat 6.0
Old 03-18-2009, 06:35 PM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Moreboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanky View Post
what would you suggest for a clutch disc? i plan to run at least stage 3.
Go to the group buy section, you could help us out

sorry to hear about the car, i pulled my motor from the top in novemeber with the trans attached. I did a lot of research and it seemed easier to do it that way, but many people swear that dropping it from the bottom is easier. I didnt want to deal with the subframe bolts etc. i know turbojohnny pulled his motor from the top last year, im sure if you pm him he can help you out

Old 03-18-2009, 06:40 PM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to rafal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moreboost View Post
Go to the group buy section, you could help us out

sorry to hear about the car, i pulled my motor from the top in novemeber
..and haven't gotten a chance to put it back.

spanky, post a topic here with a question who would do it cheaper. There are Mass area people who have some knowledge in Saabs. I bet it'd cost less than $1000.

Also, did you call ABJ in Somerville? Ask them for the quote.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:54 PM   #11
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafal View Post
..and haven't gotten a chance to put it back.
you mean havent gotten a chance to even put it back together

Old 03-18-2009, 07:01 PM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to rafal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moreboost View Post
you mean havent gotten a chance to even put it back together
i meant to put it back in the place where it used to be, but looks like you still need to play a little puzzle to get it to that stage

Old 03-18-2009, 07:16 PM   #13
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to HIDSPG
If you cant do it yourself look at it this way.....they are asking for a 1000 dollars. At 100 per hour your looking at 10 hours labor. This in my mind seems fair.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:50 PM   #14
Elder

Send a message via AIM to VWSAABVT
look at dips site and you will have the courage to do it yourself

stg 5 99 9-3 coupe
96 900se sold
Old 03-18-2009, 09:09 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to Makeyousaab
dips site has given me the courage/motivation to do pretty much anything with my car. I need to buy that man a beer some day.

1999 9-3 Vert. STG = pretty fast
Old 03-18-2009, 09:11 PM   #16
Elder

Send a message via AIM to VWSAABVT
I vote his site and erics best on the netz for saab encouragement

stg 5 99 9-3 coupe
96 900se sold
Old 03-18-2009, 10:31 PM   #17
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafal View Post
i meant to put it back in the place where it used to be, but looks like you still need to play a little puzzle to get it to that stage
you mean big puzzle

Old 03-19-2009, 12:48 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanky View Post
would i have to remove the subframe if i pull it out the top?
Thanks to the extra room in the engine bay in 9000's, I've pulled several engines w/ transmissions out w/o any problem out the top.

I yanked a donor engine with 5spd attached out of my crashed/flipped 900 a week before. I was kind of forceful with it and did scrape the engine bay with the crank pulley.

I just tried pulling the engine and (auto) trans out of another 900 and it's so jammed in there I couldn't get it out. I even tried to separate the trans from the engine and unbolted the axle support from back of the engine. I couldn't get them separated, b/c, I guess, there's not enough room.

It's really jammed in there. I tried to angle it differently without any luck. I tried to get the crank pulley off for more clearance but couldn't get it off with an air/impact wrench.

I would tell you to go at it yourself, but someone on here has to let us know the trick to pulling it out the top.

Last edited by [email protected]@; 03-19-2009 at 12:50 AM.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:34 AM   #19
Elder

Its a shame you got hit with sludge, it must be an absolute bummer.... BUT now you get to do the 2.3 swap, how convenient!

|
|
Old 03-23-2009, 04:21 PM   #20

Motor is in just waiting on a coolant sensor. Also need to find software hopefully t5 suite

03 f250 CCSB Lariat 6.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in