NG Trans Rebuild in Northern VA - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2009, 05:34 AM   #1
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to Spoolin900SE
NG Trans Rebuild in Northern VA

I was going to post this in the WASAAB section but I am not a memeber, prob should get on that.
My trans has felt the havoc of a GT30 and some Mickey Thompson ETs and now sounds like it has straight cut gears, unfortunately it doesnt. I have an extra trans I want to rebuild and put in my LSD and the things Nick recommends here: http://www.genuinesaab.com/psi/gearbox.htm
I was going to take it on myself but after reading Nick's ramblings, I think I have decided against it has I have set up back lash on rear ends but never on a front wheel drive trans. Plus now that I am working full time I can afford to pay someone to do it.
Can anyone recommend a good Saab shop in the Northern VA/MD area? Want to try and find someone familiar with these transmissions. I remember hearing about one shop up in MD off 70 or something but can not remember the name. I would supply the trans and parts and just need the labor done.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2009, 05:56 AM   #2
Elder

maybe things are different by you, but over here nobody wants to rebuild these transmissions, they always just say buy another one.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-13-2009, 06:06 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to aireeca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolin900SE View Post
Can anyone recommend a good Saab shop in the Northern VA/MD area? Want to try and find someone familiar with these transmissions. I remember hearing about one shop up in MD off 70 or something but can not remember the name. I would supply the trans and parts and just need the labor done.
Read through this post. Viking is generally considered to be one of the best shops in the area.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:20 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to viggenkid
truff, they are right down the road from me too
Old 03-13-2009, 10:29 AM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Actually there is this dude in Baltimore who sounds pretty cool. (Might be called Harvey's AutoHaus)

Best I can do is give you his Myspace page.
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndID=343245143

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 03-14-2009, 06:54 AM   #6
Avid TSL User

Viking, thats what I was thinking of. Thanks aireeca.

Viggenkid, yeah but can they do it in a matter of hours? Say the amount of time it takes to check out a car and load it onto a trailer?

Tweek, looks interesting. Where did you find out about this guy?
Old 03-14-2009, 07:21 AM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to viggenkid
lol i doubt it...core exchange?
Old 03-14-2009, 01:10 PM   #8
Elder

Myspace.
Quote:
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 03-17-2009, 06:28 PM   #9
Avid TSL User

Called Viking today and talked to Jay. Apparently they dont rebuild transmissions anymore and said they werent really interested in doing it. He said he has done several in the past and has the special tools and would let me borrow them. Real nice guy, may have to take him up on that offer.

I guess next is Tweeks mystery man.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:38 AM   #10
Elder

I told him to sign up here. Lemme forward him this link and get him on.
Quote:
Old 03-22-2009, 02:40 PM   #11
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Hi Guys, Yes you can get your trans fixed on "THIS SIDE" of the atlantic.

[email protected]

Old 03-24-2009, 12:30 PM   #12

First thing is This Box Has The Early Or Reverse, Not So Good. And the Gear Already Has Alot of wear on it.

And the Old Style Kicker That Should Be updated/

Now 3rd&4th Have a Lot of wear But not First and Second "Usually a FemAle Driven Gearbox"
Thers's A Very Small CHIp In the Ring and Pinion But I Wouldn't condemn it.

Nothing Looks All to terible in Here accept for the "Iffy" Reverse and 3rd4th wear

Old 03-24-2009, 12:45 PM   #13
Avid TSL User

Awesome. What do you recommend for replacement? Now I wish I had given you the box of FM54 internals I have to check out. Ill pull them out when I get home and see what I have.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:50 PM   #14

Well A 1995.5 Or Newer Reverse Kicker and Gear set Would Seriosly Help you out. Your already Looking at Bearings, Bolts, Clips, & Seals to make this thing Work,
Old 03-25-2009, 12:09 PM   #15

Alright, Its Looken Like the Bare Bones Minimum to get this thing Moving Again Is A Seal Kit for A 95.. comes with Seals pins,clips, CrushSleve etc. Pinion Bearings 3, Saab Fluid,There are only 10 Diff bolts in the US, You need 12, I recomend you call ARP.. Parts without a Counter driven Bearing $345.oo With Bearing $515.oo,Thats the Bearing You just Blew up last weekend.... Just Bearings And Reasembly Parts, The Gear and SynchroS are what they are. As far as Reverse goes If you could Come up with one I can at least tell you I Know it will work, The old style Like you Have? No Guarantee on Function. It'll Work or it Won't, That did take alot of these cars off the road,

Last edited by Harvey's Autohaus; 03-25-2009 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:13 PM   #16
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
I keep the ARP bolts for the ring gears.
http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/p...roducts_id=658

Make sure to use the new style crush sleeve and be precise setting the preload. Depending on how it will be used just a little on the tight side is safe but this depends on case/ bearings etc. Too less and when you get it good and hot you will have problems at high load. Too much and you kill bearings cold.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 03-25-2009, 04:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineSaab View Post
I keep the ARP bolts for the ring gears.
http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/p...roducts_id=658

Make sure to use the new style crush sleeve and be precise setting the preload. Depending on how it will be used just a little on the tight side is safe but this depends on case/ bearings etc. Too less and when you get it good and hot you will have problems at high load. Too much and you kill bearings cold.
So tell Me? How many Quaifes for saabs have you Guys Sold? I've got 3 of them still on the road on the East Coast.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:39 AM   #18
Avid TSL User

Ok I already have the ARP ring bolts sitting in my garage. Sorry i didnt get back to you yesterday I had to go up to UMD and do some aluminum welding for the Formula SAE team and didnt get home till late. Ill get into the stuff i have tonight. The reverse in the trans I blew up was still good before that. Fingers crossed i can pull that out and we can check out its condition.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:23 AM   #19

If we Get the Other Parts, and You bring be your old Box for Reverse"what years the other donor box?" And Lets Get this thing Rolling again!!
Old 03-26-2009, 06:51 AM   #20
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
Harveys, You have the factory setup video right? Not the manual (Wis) but the school Cd?

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in