Max pressure in tires? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2009, 04:52 PM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to rafal
Max pressure in tires?

I talked with my neighbor who just got his new Porch 911 few days ago and I wondered how is he going to handle those 19" wheels on Bostonian roads. He showed me the tire pressure on the screen which said there is 40psi in each tire.

What would happen if I would pump my tires to let's say 37psi? Only less pleasant ride?
Would that prevent wheels from getting them bent?

What is the best way, aside from going around bumps in roads, to protect your wheels from benting them?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
Elder

I'd go with 35 PSI.

You'll get a bit more of a harsh ride.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-12-2009, 05:15 PM   #3
Elder

I've run 36-38 psi in all my 16-17 inch wheels for years. You will get a little rougher ride but hardly noticable. I think the cars handle better with more air in the tire and you will get better gas mileage.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:31 PM   #4
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonracer View Post
i've run 36-38 psi in all my 16-17 inch wheels for years. You will get a little rougher ride but hardly noticable. I think the cars handle better with more air in the tire and you will get better gas mileage.
+1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 9-3 - Nordic Stage 3
2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 03-12-2009, 05:53 PM   #5
Elder

I run mine around 40, but the roads in gwich arent that bad... The borbets are pretty damn strong, so dont worry too much about bending them unless you intentionally pound them through pot holes

|
|
Old 03-12-2009, 06:11 PM   #6
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafal View Post
I talked with my neighbor who just got his new Porch 911 few days ago and I wondered how is he going to handle those 19" wheels on Bostonian roads. He showed me the tire pressure on the screen which said there is 40psi in each tire.

What would happen if I would pump my tires to let's say 37psi? Only less pleasant ride?
Would that prevent wheels from getting them bent?

What is the best way, aside from going around bumps in roads, to protect your wheels from benting them?
I run 40psi for the viggen wheels to DD. Never bent a OEM rim.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:41 PM   #7
SAAB Road Master

40 psi is too much for these cars. They do not weigh enough and you will only wear the center of the tire prematurely. Somewhere between 32-35 should be sufficient. Same goes for the Porsche. More air will not keep you from bending a wheel on a low profile tire. If you hit something hard enough it is going to bend regardless; especially cheaper wheels.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:50 PM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to rafal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ View Post
I run 40psi for the viggen wheels to DD. Never bent a OEM rim.
Yes, I will do that. It must be the case, since your viggen wheels are still fine.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:51 PM   #9
Elder

I usually run 40 front, 36 rear (I like it a little loose back there ). I figure that I burn through my tires quickly enough that a little extra wearing on the center of the tire won't matter too much in the long run.

2001 9-3 - Nordic Stage 3
2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 03-12-2009, 06:55 PM   #10
Elder

Im not worried about wear, but I though the contact patch with respect to pressure was mostly determined by the tire, not the weight of the car.

|
|
Old 03-12-2009, 07:19 PM   #11
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian900se View Post
Im not worried about wear, but I though the contact patch with respect to pressure was mostly determined by the tire, not the weight of the car.

The contact patch has to do more with the load range of the tire and the weight of the vehicle. But if you do not care about the wear then I guess it does not matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in