Small bulb in the headlight housing ?? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2009, 07:50 AM   #1
TSLMember

Small bulb in the headlight housing ??

Last weel I put on some ecodes, and added silverstar ultras......I noticed some small bulbs wired in next to the main headlight lamp.........I dont think it is the DRL, I thought those were used the regular lamp. so any ideas what these small bulbs are supposed to do ? they look factory to me. These are in a 1995 900 se covnertible.

Also when I removed the corner lights I noticed the harness has Two plugs for lights, but the housings only have one socket hole ? What gives there ???
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2009, 02:46 PM   #2
Elder

the small bulb is a city light..

id post a pic but photobucket appears to be down

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-12-2009, 03:28 PM   #3
Elder

https://www.saablink.net/forum/showth...ht=city+lights

I believe has some fun info on the city lights.

Like how you can put different colored lights in as subtle little accents I think it's a 194 bulb, if I recall correctly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 9-3 - Nordic Stage 3
2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 03-12-2009, 03:38 PM   #4
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkglad View Post
Also when I removed the corner lights I noticed the harness has Two plugs for lights, but the housings only have one socket hole ? What gives there ???
Also, the stock corner light housings have a slot for a backup light / reverse light that (oddly enough) comes on when you shift to reverse to help with lighting up the area around the front so you don't swing into something in the dark. E-codes don't have those slots. If you want, you can maybe use a dremmel to cut out the slot (I think there's an outline on the housing for where it should be) and stick the light bulbs in there, but most people with e-codes just leave that spot empty.

2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 03-12-2009, 03:43 PM   #5
Elder

Old 03-12-2009, 06:33 PM   #6
SAAB Road Master

I just put a set of PIAA Hyper Dimple Super white LEDs in mine. That's easily the dumbest name I've ever heard for a light bulb, but they're pretty bright and are nice and white, not blue or yellow at all. I've had a couple pairs of cheap Chinese-made LEDs from eBay in there and the heat's fried them in a matter of months, so I'm hoping the PIAAs will last a little longer.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:29 AM   #7
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Adrenaline406
Quote:
Originally Posted by codesplice View Post
I think it's a 194 bulb, if I recall correctly.
Yup 194, 168, the "peanut bulbs"

Old 03-13-2009, 09:00 AM   #8
TSLMember

Ok, thanks for all the info.....how do you just turn on the "city lights"......I thought maybe they would come on when the switch is just in the parking position......but my headlights turn on when the parking lights are on
Old 03-13-2009, 09:04 AM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
It's a tech II setting change. Have to change the lights over to euro mode if I remember correctly.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:41 AM   #10
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahumCC View Post
It's a tech II setting change. Have to change the lights over to euro mode if I remember correctly.
yessum.. that is keee-rect..!
Old 03-13-2009, 12:22 PM   #11
Elder

mines not in euro mode.

i put the headlight switch in the middle, and have my DRL's out.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:12 PM   #12
Elder

^^ That sounds like Euro mode to me.

AKA lighting option 1, I think?

2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 03-13-2009, 09:02 PM   #13
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabkid37 View Post
mines not in euro mode.

i put the headlight switch in the middle, and have my DRL's out.
Your headlights would still be on at that point, it's in euro.

There is also an option set that allows your fog lights to be on at the same time as your parking lights. With this setting they should stay on with your high beams as well.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:11 PM   #14
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

our cars are very programable, find a saab dealer/mechanic with a tech ll device. and have them change options for you, they might charge like 20 bucks but its worth it.

http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/faq/9-5aeroprog.html

hopes this helps you, did for me! and i had my car switched over to euro mode.

Daytime Running Lights:
Controlled by presence/absence of fuse 35 (not a Tech II option). This dictates the behavior of the lighting system when (a) the car is on, and (b) the light switch is in the leftmost (off) position. With fuse 35 present, the lighting is the same as with the switch in the middle position (see below for details). With fuse 35 absent, no lights are turned on.

Headlights:
There are several options, but only two are described on the bulletin boards: option 1 ("Euro") and option 3 ("US"). They differ only in the behavior of the lights when the light switch is in the middle position, as follows:

Option 1 ("Euro"): Parking lights and city lights. (City lights are the tiny 7 watt bulbs next to the main lights.)
Option 3 ("US"): Parking lights and (if the car is on) low beam headlights at reduced brightness. (Xenon headlights cannot reduce brightness, so full low beams are used in cars with Xenon headlights.)
Some other notes on lighting behavior:

On cars with Xenon headlights, the halogen lamp inboard of the Xenons is used only when the driver pulls the turn signal lever to flash the headlights while the headlights are otherwise off and Daytime Running Lights are disabled.
There is no way to get full headlights to stay on when the car is off (except for the brief "Follow Me Home" feature, see below). Parking lights stay on with the car off if the light switch is in the middle position.

Fog lights:
Option 1 ("Euro"): fog lights can be on when light switch in middle or right position, including when high beams on
Option 3 ("US"): fog lights can be on only with light switch in right position, and only when low beams selected

"Follow Me Home" feature:
When turn signal lever is pulled after car is turned off, main headlights will come on for a short time. The time is configurable through Tech II (20-50 sec; default 30).

Front marker lights on when car in reverse (on/off)

'01 9-3 Vert Stg 2/e85

Quote:
dont make me photoshop a dick in your mouth
Old 03-13-2009, 10:36 PM   #15
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to chriscam84 Send a message via Skype™ to chriscam84
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkglad View Post
Ok, thanks for all the info.....how do you just turn on the "city lights"......I thought maybe they would come on when the switch is just in the parking position......but my headlights turn on when the parking lights are on
Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you just pull the daytime running light fuse on the NG900/OG9-3s? I know this was the case on my ng900 but was NOT the case on my 9-5 with HIDs (had to have it TechII'd).

2002 9-5 Aero JZW 5+
1999 9-3 Turbo
1995 900SE Turbo Convertible Nordic Stg II
1995 900S Convertible
Old 03-13-2009, 11:08 PM   #16
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscam84 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you just pull the daytime running light fuse on the NG900/OG9-3s? I know this was the case on my ng900 but was NOT the case on my 9-5 with HIDs (had to have it TechII'd).
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that fuse / DRL setting only affects having the DRLs on with the headlamp selector switch in the OFF position. I'm pretty sure I had to get some tech-II magic worked on mine before I could do it. Or maybe that was just so I could have fogs and parking lights. I really can't remember now :-/

It's worth a shot!

2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 03-14-2009, 02:54 PM   #17
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscam84 View Post
On a OG 9-3, if you have the normal US bullshit setting on there -
If you pull the DRL fuse, your headlights will be on all the time EXCEPT when the switch is OFF. Your foglights will ONLY work when the headlight switch is ON and high beams are OFF.

In the Tech2 there are a few settings, and the headlights and foglights can be programmed differently of each other.

Old 03-14-2009, 03:41 PM   #18
TSLMember

Looks like I have the *US* setting as well.....but now a new problem, I have no high beam on the drivers side.....but the bulbs are brand bew, had the same problem with the old bulbs as well.....looks like I get th chase down wires.......nice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in