Seat Warmer Just Burned Through Seat and My Butt!!! - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2004, 02:52 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Seat Warmer Just Burned Through Seat and My Butt!!!

MY seat warmer just burned a hole in my seat and gave me a nice little wake up call while driving a hour ago. Went to the dealer and it is out of warranty had them pull the fuse now im on the phone with Saab Cars USA trying to get a new seat. I would say this is an MAJOR safety issue, has this happened to anyone else????
Imagine if I just turned them on to warm the car up for like 10min my whole car could have gone up.

Update they just made a file and I will be contaced soon.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2004, 03:14 PM   #2

Quit wearing the aluminum underwear ...

I haven't heard of this happening to anyone, but I only use it on the coldest days. Are those the ventilated 9-5 seats?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-20-2004, 03:24 PM   #3

nope just the factory cloth 9-3 seats. It was 13 degrees out today so it was needed, just a lot hotter than I wanted

Old 12-20-2004, 03:27 PM   #4
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

ive heard of these happening on random cars.. there will never be a recall on these because it only happens randomly
Old 12-20-2004, 04:28 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to iwantaviggen
WOW thats crazy! tell us what SAAB says about that new seat....
Old 12-20-2004, 06:02 PM   #6
Elder

LOL thats funny shit, hope you get it fixed. But nice one.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:51 PM   #7
Elder

wait wait - Saabs have heated Seats that work?! When the hell did tha shit start??!! I've never had working heated seats in ANY of my Saab's.... MY saab's that is.... DeLorean claims his work - they don't - he's just crazy, and very gasious.
for your repair needs
Old 12-20-2004, 06:56 PM   #8

I can see you sitting in your car.. getting a slight whiff of the fumes from the burning seat...you ask yourself as you sniff curiously in the air " what is that smell?" Just then you feel the sting of the seat warmer branding your butt as you sit helpless in your seat. You rear up in your chair trying to avoid the pain while panicing to turn off the seat warmer. Your foot simultaneously hits the brake and the gas making your car lurch forward and come to sudden stops. You pull off to the side trying pain stakingly to take off your seatbelt and open the door without burning more of your soft pink bottom. You get out and curse at your misfortune nad wait till the smoke subsides to continue your journey.

Did it even happen close to that? I am bored at the moment if you couldn't tell. I am also relieving my Irish ancestry because I am A weeeeeeeeeee bit O drunk.
Old 12-21-2004, 05:20 AM   #9
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Saabs have heated Seats that work?
must be a thing with GM saabs....mine work just fine
Old 12-21-2004, 05:25 AM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnsSide42
wait wait - Saabs have heated Seats that work?! :
Mine have always worked... in the 88 anyway
Old 12-21-2004, 05:33 AM   #11
Avid TSL User

Seriously that sucks! I've definitely heard of warmers that stop warming but this is new to me.

When talk to saab you should mention that a leather interior would probably do a better job of saving your ass in the future...
Old 12-21-2004, 06:35 AM   #12

hehe, yea maybe some viggen seats would be able to cope with the heat a little better.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:59 PM   #13

Update...... saab USA is paying to replace the heating unit, seat pad, and cover i just have to pay labor which is stupid, but hey not bad since it was out of warranty
Old 01-06-2005, 04:04 PM   #14
Elder

Send a message via AIM to iwantaviggen
not bad...its a compramise...but not a bad one....do you have to get it installed by saab? or could they ship the parts to your house?? hehe
Old 01-06-2005, 04:38 PM   #15
Elder

wonder if they'd cover mine too :P
for your repair needs
Old 02-02-2005, 08:14 AM   #16
SAABeginner

I just found this site, so this is my first post.

I had my drivers leather seat on my '01 9-3 catch fire also. Well, more like a smoldering. As luck would have it, I was one month out of warranty! Saab agreed to split the parts and labor 50/50 with me. What kills me is that I turned the seat on in the summer and it felt like it was too hot, but it was summer so I didn't think much about it. I had the repair done in December, so it actually did fail under warranty. They wouldn't budge. They sent a new seat pad with a hole in it the first time, so it took two trips to the dealer. The total bill was about $250.

What really got me was that no one really seemed at all alarmed that my seat was smoking/ready to catch on fire. Luckily it didn't burn me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in