bike carrier suggestions - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2007, 07:12 AM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

bike carrier suggestions

I want to get a bike carrier for the NG.
There are 2 options as I see it. 1. Roof mounted, or 2. Hatch strapped (not hitch)

I prefer the roof mounted option, but there's too many components - load bars, carrier, and I'd want a fairing too. And its expensive and hard to find used.

The generic hatch strapped carriers are cheap but I don't like the look, plus am afraid it might be a pain to access the trunk with the bike strapped on.

Looking for some advise... Experiences?

Thx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2007, 07:15 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to laxian55
i had a trunk mount once, it was properly mounted and not over loaded. One of the upper straps snapped and my and my friends bikes flew off the back and got ran over. The company offered to replace only the rack even though both of our bikes got destroyed. This isnt to mention that it was seriously 15 minutes after i picked my brand new bike up from the bike shop after saving up like 6 mos to pay for it. I was like 15. Roof Mount!!!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-24-2007, 07:23 AM   #3
Elder

As a biker...roof mount! For sure.

I bet you could get away with it for $200. I see NG cross bars all the time on Craigslist and eBay. Fairings definetly look cool and you can usually get those for $25-40 on eBay--the Saab takes a "medium"

Old 05-24-2007, 07:26 AM   #4

Hey Quattro....I have a Thule setup for a GM900 that I no longer have a use for. Drop me a PM if you are interested - it would be for the bars. I also have an upright set of trays for it too...they are made by Thule...but they say Volvo on them....those are available as well....
Old 05-24-2007, 07:27 AM   #5
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
The roof mounts pop up on ebay all the time. Just last week there was a brand new one that came with a bike rack. It sold for $75.00!
Old 05-24-2007, 07:32 AM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
x whatever on the roof mount. Thats the only solid way to go.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:44 AM   #7
TSLMember

For those of us with a convertible, are you all saying that the tow-hitch mount is significantly better than trunk mount?
Old 05-24-2007, 07:46 AM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to laxian55
Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingSaab View Post
For those of us with a convertible, are you all saying that the tow-hitch mount is significantly better than trunk mount?
yea i used my dads hitch mount all the time, ive never used a trunk mount again, not to mention the feet arent too easy on your paint.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:29 AM   #9
dip

Send a message via Skype™ to dip
Quote:
Originally Posted by quattro View Post
I want to get a bike carrier for the NG.
There are 2 options as I see it. 1. Roof mounted, or 2. Hatch strapped (not hitch)
3. Use the trunk, Luke.

Seriously, considering that you can only carry two bikes on a rack anyway, it's safe to assume you will only have two people the the car. And with that, you can drop the rear seat and carry both your luggage and the bikes inside ;]
Old 05-24-2007, 08:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dip View Post
3. Use the trunk, Luke.

Seriously, considering that you can only carry two bikes on a rack anyway, it's safe to assume you will only have two people the the car. And with that, you can drop the rear seat and carry both your luggage and the bikes inside ;]
The trunk is no longer feasible to haul the bike with. We'll be hauling alot of stuff in the near future, leaving no room in the trunk, even with the seats dropped.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:23 AM   #11
Avid TSL User

Seriously, I say skip both the roof and the hatch options... get a hidden hitch or draw-tite and be done with it.

Roof mounts are a pain in the a$$ to install, load and unload. And with bars, carrier, and a fairing, take up alot more storage space when not on the car.

I have a hitch mount and it's so much easier to deal with... plus, when not using the bike carrier, you can get a cargo carrier, to add extra hauling capacity for stuff like a cooler, a keg (FTW!), or other gear.

I got mine (plus wiring harness, though I haven't needed it yet) from etrailer.com and got a great deal on it. You can also get bike carriers and cargo carriers from them as well.

BTW, I see they list the Draw-tite 9-3 class II hitch for $105.95. And shipping is .99 cents for orders over $150.

'99 9-3 'Vert - Imola Red
Old 05-24-2007, 09:47 AM   #12

Steve, patrickaccessories has a a trailer hitch on special for 63 bucks and would work great with a hitch mounted rack. so price wise its a good play, but that means when travelling, I'd need to remove the bike anytime I wanted to pop the hatch? that'd be a pita!

Old 05-24-2007, 10:02 AM   #13
Elder

You can get hitch carriers that fold down or swing out. Granted they are more expensive.

If you get a hatch mount, go Saris no questions.

Roof rack would be the ultimate.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:08 AM   #14
c900 Grognard
Elder

The roof ones make it easy to find your car in a parking lot

FWIW I've used the same trunk-strap style rack ever since I've been driving, and before that it was in my family, so it's probably at least ten years old. It has never left a mark on a car, it has never failed/broken, and that's including my 1100 mile trips to school. If you just need to nab like 1 thing out of the trunk, you can lift it up with the rack in place, as long as you don't go to high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJoe
Korean wheels, man. Like catnip for the ladies.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:12 AM   #15
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
You can also use the roof load bars to load up all kinds of good stuff. I've put furniture, lumber, filing cabinets and all kinds of crap up there.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:14 AM   #16
Avid TSL User

Quattro,
If you check etrailer, they sell many hitch mounted bike carriers that either fold down or swing out to the side to allow you access to your hatch....

I have a tilting/folding one on my Forester, and it's worked well with two bikes on the back. The swing outs are a bit more pricey.

Actually, since the hatch on your car swings more upwardly rather than outwardly (as opposed to my Forester, which opens outwardly and then up), you may not even need to use the folding mechanism all that often, especially if you put a short (a few inches) extension on your receiver.

Check this one out, it's only $149 and similar to what I have:

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-BRF~59403.htm

"The base also allows the bike rack to tilt forward, making it easier to get into the back of SUVs and mini-vans. The tilting mechanism is also lockable."

I will also say that I already have bars on my Forester that I could easily have gotten bike rails for, but I just find it a big-ass hassle to load bikes onto the roof rather than lift them less than 20 inches off the ground.

Also, when all is said and done, the hitch and bike rack will most likely be less expensive than bars/rails/fairings. Especially when you consider that just a single bike rail costs around $100 bucks.

Last edited by SteveWWJ; 05-24-2007 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:15 AM   #17

well i found a trailer hitch receiver for 63 bucks on patrickaccessories (reg price over 300!), and i'm still confused about their bike carrier for the hitch cause its priced at 30 bucks!?? i just left a message with them to clarify that item. also, with the hitch option, the windnoise/drag with shit on the roof is eliminated.

still looking at options - i've been shopping the webz like crazy today...
and for anyone who's got a used setup they'd like to sell me.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:27 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by srp View Post
You can also use the roof load bars to load up all kinds of good stuff. I've put furniture, lumber, filing cabinets and all kinds of crap up there.
i know, i do also like the 'utility' look of load bars..i've got factory load bars for my 9000 but they won't fit on the 900...too bad.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:07 PM   #19
Avid TSL User

Quattro, I don't want to scare you away from a good deal or anything, but I would not put that $63 dollar hitch on my Saab.

Mostly because it does not list a class (I, II, III) or tongue weight rating, but also, from the looks of it, it's the kind that installs to the back side or bottom of the bumper in some way... I have seen hitches like that on other cars, that have bent the bumper.

Usually the TW is around 10% of towing rating... it says it tows 1,000lbs (w/out trailer brakes) so that would put it's TW rating around 100-150lbs.

The Class II on etrailer mounts fully to the frame, has a 350 lb TW, and can tow 3,500lbs.

It costs $105, the extra $38 would be worth it. (would be less of a difference if you also got a bike carrier from them, because it would make your shipping .99 cents)

EDIT: Actually, I just did the shipping estimate on patrickaccessories, and it said it was $38.13... that's your difference right there.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:32 PM   #20
Avid TSL User

Hey!

I just saw the below ad on craigslist here in DC... I just emailed the guy about them to see if they're for a C900 or NG900...

If they fit your car, and you want them, I can pick them up for ya and have them shipped up to ya.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...337432315.html

"Bike Roof Rack (2 bikes) - $50

I have a great roof rack with 2 bike holders that fit a SAAB 900 that I no longer own. It does not fit our current cars. (With an available Thule adaptor (model 532) the bike holders could be used on a vehicle having a factory installed roof rack.) Bikes are held vertically. Racks can be used for other accessories. All are in excellent condition. Roof rack - $25. Two bike holders - $20 each. $50 takes them all."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in