B204 Rebuild - Page 3 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2006, 03:38 PM   #41
Editor
Elder

As promised.

Timing chain guide, top of engine removed.

Sanding it to make it even smoother yet.

This picture really does say a thousand words. Both of these sprockets are for the balance shaft chain assembly. The upper one is what one should look like. For some reason, when the upper balance shaft chain guide broke into two, you can see the damage it did. See previous posts for oil pan visuals. Look at the teeth on the lower sprocket and compare them to the upper. It's pretty bad. Fortunately I am eliminating the balance shaft chain altogether so I don't worry about this anymore. Pan is cleaned - should pose no future problems.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2006, 03:42 PM   #42
Elder

Nice work Thom!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 9-3 - Nordic Stage 3
2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-17-2006, 03:43 PM   #43
Editor
Elder

Here's the lower part of the engine, timing cover removed. Then tensioner you see is the one powered by oil pressure to keep tension on the balance shaft chain. It extends to a certain point and then stops, so I am leaving all of this alone.

Pre-sanding. See intake and exhaust valves.

Anyone who knows anything about digital photography knows ambient lighting's the best, flashes typically suck and when you get very close to something it's hard to keep it in focus (especially when your manual focus is still controlled electronically). These pictures aren't that important to show detail but you can see the gasket is really starting to wear.

Last edited by Les Bouquins; 12-17-2006 at 07:07 PM.

Old 12-17-2006, 03:46 PM   #44
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to spgdude
Looking good Thom, keep the pics coming.
09' 9-5 SportCombi 5mt Stg1
Old 12-17-2006, 03:48 PM   #45
Editor
Elder

Nice shot of the old head gasket.

Mmm, yummy.

Old vs. new.

Last edited by Les Bouquins; 12-17-2006 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:49 PM   #46
Elder

^^^ Pretty!

2001 9-3 - Nordic Stage 3
2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 12-17-2006, 03:54 PM   #47
Editor
Elder

This is probably my favorite picture of the bunch - you can see the differences in the two head gaskets. I suppose that's what 150k of driving will do. How many times around the earth is that anyway? In any case, I opted to purchase OEM Saab gaskets only to find the OEM gaskets (at least the head gasket I looked at?) in the Saab package were made by Elring. The aftermarket (Elring) gaskets were cheaper and the kit included a new valve cover gasket... I'm a little upset about this but oh well! You can learn from my blunder for future reference - buy the Elring kit! It's $5 less and includes a new valve cover gasket!

Not quite finished but getting there!

Timing chain assembly is now mostly put back together - all the guides are in place and the chain is lined up on the crank. The sealant was also used on the cover and it was put back on the block. I must seek oil pump gears tomorrow.

Last edited by Les Bouquins; 12-17-2006 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:53 PM   #48

Thom, what year is your car?

I've never seen that type of piston before....

...and are you removing the balance shafts?
Old 12-17-2006, 05:39 PM   #49
Editor
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders View Post
Thom, what year is your car?

I've never seen that type of piston before....

...and are you removing the balance shafts?
It's a 95.

I wasn't planning on removing the balance shafts - just pulled the chain. Dmitry told me that's all that really should be necessary. Should I pull them?
Old 12-17-2006, 07:04 PM   #50

Naaaaaaahhhh....I was going to suggest that you leave them in so that you don't have to deal with the oil passages....

You'll notice a bit more in-cabin noise and vibration, but you greatly reduce the amount of moving parts. The balance shafts turn at four times engine speed.....
Old 12-17-2006, 07:06 PM   #51
Editor
Elder

Have you removed this chain? I just hope the vibration isn't unbearable. I can take a little bit of it though. The car is twelve years old so naturally I think people assume it's not going to ride like new. I don't have any fabulous expectations anymore.

Dmitry also told me that it will rev much more freely / quickly. Have you noticed this as well (if you did indeed pull the chain...)?
Old 12-17-2006, 07:10 PM   #52

Not unbearable at all, just slightly more noticeable at idle....

And it will definitely rev slightly easier because you're elimininating a source of internal rotating mass....
Old 12-17-2006, 07:14 PM   #53
Editor
Elder

That definitely makes me feel better. Everyone on this end has been giving me the thumbs up and everyone else is shaking their head.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:22 PM   #54

Naaah. You're doing it the right way. Every project has a limiting factor, whether it's time, money, skill, materials or tools.

The worst thing anyone can do is attempt something that ends up being a "bottomless job" where one goed in to fix one thing and end up fixing five. Only possible exception to this is making changes to one component while working on another. Case in point: while my engine was out, I upgraded the front suspension and did the hydraulic conversion because they were easy to do then....

I had the luxury of time, which was important because I didn't really have the skill (and you can sometimes save money by doing things slowly). If this car is your daily driver, then you definitely don't want to get into the bottomless project, so setting a cost ceiling is a good way to keep a defined goal without going overboard...
Old 12-17-2006, 07:26 PM   #55
Editor
Elder

Those were my feelings as well. At this point, I haven't driven MY car in three weeks. It hurts.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:33 AM   #56
TSLMember

Send a message via AIM to sdj1431
I work until 7:00pm tonight but am avail afterwards if you need an extra set of hands.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:48 AM   #57
Editor
Elder

I think we're pretty set. Thanks for the offer, though.

I'm just waiting on the oil pump gears now - ordered those this morning so I assume they'll be here in a couple of days.

The head is back and all of the headbolts have been torqued. I'm just trying to get the timing chain back together.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:57 AM   #58
TSLMember

Send a message via AIM to sdj1431
You two go out last night?
Old 12-18-2006, 12:44 PM   #59
JK
Elder

Looks like solid progress Thom! You'll feel much better once that refreshed motor is in there and the car is running well
Old 12-18-2006, 12:46 PM   #60
Editor
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdj1431 View Post
You two go out last night?
Whitney never called me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in