So I bought a Viggen.... - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2017, 09:48 AM   #1
SAABeginner

Question So I bought a Viggen....

Hey guys so I'm a young college student that took a gamble of my time and money on buying this 2000 Viggen Vert. payed $800 out the door, claimed it had "Mechanical Issues." (So Clean title and no body damage for a Viggen? No Brainer!)

This will be Replacing the 2008 9-5 Aero that was totaled back in May I have relatively good experience with the B235R and feel comfortable working on it myself for most things. One thing I'm not familiar with so much is internal engine building, or ecu tuning. these are things I would have to outsource, and again don't have much money to work with so I would want to go the most cost effective route.

Anyways, I finally got around to tinkering with it this weekend, noticed that there were none of the 4 bolts holding down the dic, so I suspected busted dic. I took off the old one and noticed that the Valve cover Gasket had been redone, no seepage inside. took off the plugs and saw that they were very black and that the car was being ran too rich. I don't have a bore scope so I wasn't able to check the condition inside. the car had 135k on the dash so I assumed it had just had a Valve job done.
Well Yesterday I was able to check the compression. 1st gave me 50 and 4th gave me 10. So I have determined it wont be as easy as replacing a dic.

My question is, should I have the engine rebuilt and take advantage to put in some wossner pistons and t5 cams, or drop in a 9-5 aero b235r into it and work on that engine as I go? And for the latter, would a B235R from an '02 aero 9-5 just mount right up? would I need any tuning or to swap over any of the accessories from the Vig's B235R?

Thanks in Advance guys!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resizer (15).jpg (92.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg resizer (14).jpg (88.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg resizer (11).jpg (101.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg resizer (12).jpg (87.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg resizer (10).jpg (92.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg resizer (16).jpg (121.2 KB, 6 views)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2017, 10:06 AM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Nice. 800$ for that seems like a good deal, you did well if you are comfortable doing the work.

The b235R in the Vig and Aero are identical as far as I know. The only caveat there is as Saab started to fix the PCV system, there are some changes made to the block that I'm not certain about. But I think it is safe to say any vintage 9-5 that matched up with the Viggen would be the same (so 2000-2002 since the aero wasn't made in 1999). The shortblocks are all the same for Viggen and 9-5 so that should open some possibilities. The Aero and Vig had special exhaust valves in the head but I think the B235 shortblock is the same as a b235R shortblock. So if you think your head is good then you might be able to find a cheap used shortblock.

As far as wossners go, plenty of people have done it, but personally I wouldn't bother with those power levels on a convertible. I have a 2000 Vig convertible that is stage 1 (probably based on what PO said) and it is a handfull. The viggens never came with traction control and the chassis is not what you would have been used to in your aero. I also have a 2000 9-5 aero to compare (stock). The Vig feels faster, but I'm not sure it is. But my wife won't give the viggen more than about 1/3 throttle since it is so wild.

Personally I would stay around the stock power levels, and work on the chassis. That's my plan at least.

If you suspect that the head has been rebuilt, I would make sure the timing is correct before drawing any conclusions. I once had a machine shop swap the intake and exhaust cams on a motor whose head I had rebuilt. That was a pain to diagnose, not so hard to correct. The exhaust cam has a notch on the end where it has driven the distributor in the past. It never has in a 9-5 or 9-3, but the feature is still there in the exhaust and it is easy to identify if you are looking for it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-04-2017, 01:50 PM   #3
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Have you done any other investigating? Does the car run at all? Perhaps it is something more simple, like a head gasket.

You're the only one who can determine whether it's worth building a fancy engine and spending that money. It depends on what your end game is. It would be a fun project and a good experience. On the other hand, putting a bunch of power into a saab is kind of like pissing into the wind - its a FWD car with a flimsy chassis and you'll just highlight all of its shortcomings.

If you are taking a poll of the audience, my vote is to get it running well and put an exhaust and tune on it and call it a day.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:23 PM   #4
Drew In Houston
Elder

Since you say you don't have much money to work with, I'd avoid tuning it and skip the pistons. If money doesn't matter and you think you might want to run more power later, I'd put pistons in it.

Actually, if you're putting an engine in it and want to spend some money, I'd spend it changing the timing and balance components, new chain, guides, sprockets, etc., that's the stuff that wears on these engines. Minimally, check the oil pickup, check the center main bearing, and check the extension on the timing chain tensioner on the donor engine, that'll give you an idea of the remaining life and is only about 30 minutes of work on an engine that's out of a car. Oh, and change the oil pressure sensor for sure, it's a pain when goes, and maybe the crank sensor if you have an extra $80 or so laying around.

I pulled the head on my '03 9-5 Aero to fix a weeping headgasket, I forget the exact mileage, but it was like 180k or 200k or something like that, and the cylinder walls still had even cross hatching/machine marks in them--which, reading about these engines over the years, is typical. I'm not a mechanical engineer, but people who know seem to think the geometry of these engines is just about perfect.

edit: Also, I think $800 is a good deal, congrats, even with a bad engine. I bought a black 2000 Viggen 'vert w/150k miles or so in reasonable shape but with a cracked piston about 4 years ago for $1100 and felt like I got an okay deal at the time.

Last edited by Trionic3000; 10-04-2017 at 06:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in