Front Spring Removal - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2017, 07:07 AM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Front Spring Removal

My front driver's side spring is cracked. I'm planning on pulling the wheel off and removing it this weekend. Are there any caveats to this, or can I just compress it and remove? Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2017, 09:16 AM   #2
WSW
Elder

10.02.2005: Saab NG900 Front Suspension - photo.platonoff.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-04-2017, 10:34 AM   #3

Ah fack this is gonna be fun.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:54 PM   #4
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
Compress and remove in the car is going to be tough, if possible at all.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:33 PM   #5

Yep. I'm just going to pull the entire assembly off of a donor and replace. It's not too difficult.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 08-11-2017, 08:49 AM   #6

So I got to the wrecker a bit too late, and they crushed the 9-3 I was previously pulling parts from.

I'm just going to go ahead and purchase a replacement spring. Browsing on eeuro I see that there are a couple of aftermarket options, as well as genuine SAAB parts.

Does anyone on here know what "Vehicle Note: Code=AV, Marked yellow/red" means?
Old 08-11-2017, 02:49 PM   #7
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninehundredt View Post
Does anyone on here know what "Vehicle Note: Code=AV, Marked yellow/red" means?
Saab fitted suspensions with different springs and bars depending on model and perhaps equipment levels (weight). The codes for your car are on a stamped aluminum plate on the radiator top support, passenger side (USA).

See this: Suspension codes - SaabCentral Forums

At this point, you're not going to find springs for every option. I believe Saab is down to selling one, if any. I would NOT install one spring in your car, I'd do both sides. Uneven is a bad idea. Also, your strut cartridges may be very worn... you will find out when you get the strut disassembled. If they are weak, now would be the time to replace them. Mounts may also be bad, but if they are factory and not giving any issues, keep them.

You need a number of parts that are one time use and/or likely to be badly corroded. I can list them if you are interested.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSabbert View Post
Saab fitted suspensions with different springs and bars depending on model and perhaps equipment levels (weight). The codes for your car are on a stamped aluminum plate on the radiator top support, passenger side (USA).

See this: Suspension codes - SaabCentral Forums

At this point, you're not going to find springs for every option. I believe Saab is down to selling one, if any. I would NOT install one spring in your car, I'd do both sides. Uneven is a bad idea. Also, your strut cartridges may be very worn... you will find out when you get the strut disassembled. If they are weak, now would be the time to replace them. Mounts may also be bad, but if they are factory and not giving any issues, keep them.

You need a number of parts that are one time use and/or likely to be badly corroded. I can list them if you are interested.
Bob,
Thanks for the help! I'm planning on pulling the struts this weekend to see what's worn out. Definitely interested in seeing your list and any other suggestions you have.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:08 AM   #9
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Parts to replace

The following nuts are supposed to be one time use since they are lock nuts that won't necessarily relock: tie rod end nuts, ball joint nuts, and axle nuts.

There's a thin zinc ring under the spring that's labelled as a "spacer" in the diagrams. They are designed to corrode over time and keep the spring from corroding (so it doesn't break . You need to replace those.

I mentioned the mounts already... there's a bearing under the mount that might be good or bad. If money is a concern, you can try to reuse it. But, this is a fairly long and annoying job to do so if you can, replace them.

The bolts that hold the ABS sensor in the holder are usually beat at this point. You can replace them with stainless from the local hardware store.

You can leave the ABS holder on the strut as long as you are very careful with it. It's plastic and easily breaks. You'll have a 50# strut to move around and a quarter ounce plastic bracket on the back. You can remove it (the bolt comes out easily most of the time). But it has a little plastic stud that fits into the hub to position it that most always breaks off. You either have to get a new ABS bracket, or figure out how to make a replacement stud, or just position it visually and hope it stays there.

Factory or aftermarket nuts are available. Factory costs a chunck more. Aftermarket zinc spacers are OK. SKF is the factory original bearing and is probably the best choice as you can get it aftermarket.

If you need mounts, there's really only aftermarket now and none are great. The ones Saab sells are from Pro-parts Sweden and cost 4x as much as the exact same aftermarket part. You can get Meyle (which is also Pro-parts) from FCP Euro and get a lifetime warranty if you prefer. For a stock suspension, they will probably last.

For struts, you can get cheap stuff like Monroe, or slightly more expensive stuff like KYB. Neither will be equal to the factory damping level but will serve. Factory level is Sachs / BOGE which is OEM. For additional money, you can get Bilstein or Koni (adjustable) which will upgrade the handling and ride. Konis set soft with stock springs are a nice ride but it will cost you some $$.

If you want to upgrade handling more seriously, you can install some lowering springs all around with Koni's or Bilsteins. But, your total cost will be in the $1000 range for the springs and shocks. The good news is that the rear shocks and springs are an easy change. You still need the nuts, spaces, and maybe mounts and bearings.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSabbert View Post
The following nuts are supposed to be one time use since they are lock nuts that won't necessarily relock: tie rod end nuts, ball joint nuts, and axle nuts.

There's a thin zinc ring under the spring that's labelled as a "spacer" in the diagrams. They are designed to corrode over time and keep the spring from corroding (so it doesn't break . You need to replace those.

I mentioned the mounts already... there's a bearing under the mount that might be good or bad. If money is a concern, you can try to reuse it. But, this is a fairly long and annoying job to do so if you can, replace them.

The bolts that hold the ABS sensor in the holder are usually beat at this point. You can replace them with stainless from the local hardware store.

You can leave the ABS holder on the strut as long as you are very careful with it. It's plastic and easily breaks. You'll have a 50# strut to move around and a quarter ounce plastic bracket on the back. You can remove it (the bolt comes out easily most of the time). But it has a little plastic stud that fits into the hub to position it that most always breaks off. You either have to get a new ABS bracket, or figure out how to make a replacement stud, or just position it visually and hope it stays there.

Factory or aftermarket nuts are available. Factory costs a chunck more. Aftermarket zinc spacers are OK. SKF is the factory original bearing and is probably the best choice as you can get it aftermarket.

If you need mounts, there's really only aftermarket now and none are great. The ones Saab sells are from Pro-parts Sweden and cost 4x as much as the exact same aftermarket part. You can get Meyle (which is also Pro-parts) from FCP Euro and get a lifetime warranty if you prefer. For a stock suspension, they will probably last.

For struts, you can get cheap stuff like Monroe, or slightly more expensive stuff like KYB. Neither will be equal to the factory damping level but will serve. Factory level is Sachs / BOGE which is OEM. For additional money, you can get Bilstein or Koni (adjustable) which will upgrade the handling and ride. Konis set soft with stock springs are a nice ride but it will cost you some $$.

If you want to upgrade handling more seriously, you can install some lowering springs all around with Koni's or Bilsteins. But, your total cost will be in the $1000 range for the springs and shocks. The good news is that the rear shocks and springs are an easy change. You still need the nuts, spaces, and maybe mounts and bearings.
Thanks this is really helpful. I'm going to have to look around for some of those zinc spacers. The nuts are relatively easy to obtain though. I'm really just looking to do this as cost effective as possible, so I'll steer clear of the performance options.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:41 PM   #11
srp
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninehundredt View Post
Thanks this is really helpful.
x2! Excellent information! Thanks for taking the time to write it up and share it!
Old 08-13-2017, 06:43 PM   #12
srp
Elder

I do remember putting that zinc spacer on mine. My stock ones were not worn out, but I bought absolutely everything ahead of time so I could assemble them on an extra pair of knuckles.

Looks like they are still readily available:
https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/290...Lower-4689378/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in