Make the Viggen Great Again! - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2017, 06:46 AM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Make the Viggen Great Again!

So it's time I start posting about what I have been working on. In April this year I bought a stage *extreme* 1999 9-3 from TurboJohnny. I took a Greyhound bus up there and drove it home. That wasn't much of an adventure and aside from some fiddly things the car got me home without issues.

I knew it had some issues and rust, but thought it was worth more in the aftermarket parts it had on it than I paid for it so I took a gamble. Brought it home and kind of looked at it for a while, and thought I would make it a viggen clone. I had a full interior I had gathered a year ago, and a silver front bumper, and some other odds and ends.

I looked for a rear bumper and side skirts and ended up buying a 2000 Viggen Vert about 45 minutes from my house! This is the car that jsaab posted about here in the classifieds.

So I brought it home.

It runs and drives and felt fine in the short time I drove it up onto the trailer and into the garage. Trailering it home was uneventful (the way I like it).

After clearing out the damage and looking the car over, I made a change in plans, I decided to use the 9-3 as a parts car for the Viggen!

I guess I wanted to save a Viggen, and the 9-3 had a lot of rust and other issues that helped me make this decision. The Viggen is really quite rust free, and in good condition with the exception of being driven under an SUV.

Damage appears to be all above the bumper. I can tell that the bumper support has been tweaked downward by about 3/4" from the other. I hammered that back to level, and have removed the remnants of the core support. The radiator is trash, along with all the AC Evaporator and some other misc stuff. All the under tray plastics are intact and good. Airbox, motor mount, and charge pipe are bad. The mechanical stuff I am not worried about.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2017, 06:50 AM   #2

First step is to do some surgery on the parts car.

Before:

During:

After:

Ready to extract the core support:

Core Support removed:

Part of the inner fender removed:
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-01-2017, 06:59 AM   #3

The core support was drilled out. There are something like 12 spot welds, and in order to get access to them you need to remove both fenders, and pretty much the whole front so you can get your drill on them.

My process was to center punch the spot weld:

Drill a small through hole:

And then use a spot weld cutter:

The spot weld cutter was from harbor freight and only cost 5 bux. I kept dipping it in motor oil and that seemed to work out well. I think I got 20 spot welds drilled out, it is still working but getting dull.

Once the core was out I performed the same disassembly in the viggen and put the core in with sheet metal screws:

The sheet metal screws are temporary placeholders. I am using them to make sure the position is right before I weld the support on. More about that later as I do the work.

I took the oportunity to hang the fender and put the hood on last Saturday. Everything seems to be lining up so far. Still have the inner fender structure to repair, and I will post more about that as I do it as well.

Will need to repair the door, and probably will just hammer out the dent till I can fix it, or find a new door cheap.

Also have a Vig bumper (silver) that I bought years ago that is cracked on the bottom. I plan on repairing that, but will probably put the 9-3 bumper on temporarily to get the car on the road and registered.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:23 AM   #4
WSW
Elder

Great that you're saving it. Should have a pretty bad ass Viggen with all those goodies from the 9-3 swapped over
Old 08-01-2017, 07:34 AM   #5
Elder

This is awesome Troy. I'm sorry that you decided to part out the 5 dr. But I'm thrilled to see that you're putting it to use, to salvage a Viggen convertible. Don't forget about the spec clutch in that car.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojohnny View Post
This is awesome Troy. I'm sorry that you decided to part out the 5 dr. But I'm thrilled to see that you're putting it to use, to salvage a Viggen convertible. Don't forget about the spec clutch in that car.
Yeah, I had planned on bringing the 5 dr back, but when I encountered this viggen, just felt this was the right way to go. I still have my 5 door 900, and I think the 9-3 will donate some parts to it as well. Focusing on the viggen first though.

Not sure how much aftermarket stuff I will end up adding, I really want a nice driving car, and the convertible isn't really a go fast platform... Maybe the 900 will get some of that love!
Old 08-01-2017, 08:23 AM   #7
Elder

This is basically how I felt when I picked up our '03 SE vert. It's just such a nice car, I wasn't going to waste any more time or money on the others.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:35 AM   #8

Plus, the 9-5 aero I have is completely stock with 280k miles. The suspension is rubish now, but the engine was rebuilt and is in top shape. It still hauls in a straight line, and puts a smile on my face each time.

I would guess the viggen will do the same, same basic poweplant. So if it goes as hard as the aero does for me, that would be great.

I will get around to the suspension on the aero eventually.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:38 AM   #9
SAABeginner

Hi sorry to interrupt a thread but am new to the forum and have no idea how to start one, I have a TD04 11T, can I put a 14T or 15T Chra straight in the 11T housing without mods?
Old 08-01-2017, 08:50 AM   #10
Elder

no, you will need a matching compressor housing.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:51 AM   #11
SAABeginner

OK thank you
Old 08-01-2017, 03:48 PM   #12

Removable Bumper Support

Back to our regular programming....

Turns out the 9-3 has a removable "bumper support". I took a closer look and with a few welds cut out I could slide this baby out:

There is a pic of it by itself so I hope you can recognize it in the installed pics.

Here it is installed before I started grinding:

And here is a couple welds ground off:

And here is what is left with it removed:

Incidentally, the Viggens welds are probably 25% better at least. They are longer and have a larger bead. I am sure that has nothing to do with being a viggen, and probably more to do with one was made on friday and one on wednesday! Actually the viggen is newer so maybe they are some process improvements.

Got the busted one out of the viggen and am downloading WIS now to see if there are any measurements.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:22 PM   #13
Avid TSL User

Man I was soooooo close to buying that '99 from turbojohnny, it was a blast to drive and an awesome deal with the performance parts on it but I didn't really have a plan for it. Glad it's donating some good parts to a Viggen!
Old 08-02-2017, 10:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rl0089 View Post
Man I was soooooo close to buying that '99 from turbojohnny, it was a blast to drive and an awesome deal with the performance parts on it but I didn't really have a plan for it. Glad it's donating some good parts to a Viggen!
I had planned on just driving it as well. Thought it would make a good daily driver, but you know, other opportunities come along!
Old 08-08-2017, 06:23 AM   #15

Made some more progress last night. I have limited time to work on this, but I'm getting closer.

Last night I hung the fenders on and adjusted the gaps. I'm pretty happy with them but they are not perfect. I think I have the drivers fender where I want it, the core support where it should be and the hood right. I may tweak the inner fender on the pass side some more to close the gap on the hood.

Sorry for the poor lighting in the pictures, It's the best I can do late at night.

There is a small rust spot on this hood, the other big spot is a moth!

My oldest (12 yrs) thinks he is going to drive it soon!

Next step is to complete assembly with the headlights and a bumper, just to make sure.

Then I will fully weld the core support. It is tacked for now, and some sheet metal screws.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:45 AM   #16
Elder

This is the best thread going on the forums these days. Keep up the good work.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:38 AM   #17

Thanks for the encouragement!

Made some more progress last night. Added in the inner fender that was blasted. Look up and you will recall that I cut the bent fender out of the viggen, and got the only slightly bent fender from the 9-3. I welded it in last night:

You might notice that this is not a "proper" repair. A pro might have replaced the entire inner fender. Even better than my repair would be for him to butt weld the fender pieces. I took the lazy easy way and lap welded the part in place. So I cut more fender out of the 9-3 than the viggen, and laid the part on top of what remained in the viggen. I was able to locate everything where I needed it with the fender still positioned. I screwed it all together with a few sheet metal screws, then I started tacking stuff in.

I haven't cleaned these welds up yet, and I plan to level them out a bit and apply a generous bead of seam sealer to the joint.

I'm getting a bit better with welding but flux core isn't really ever nice.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:47 AM   #18
Elder

Will you be replacing the vin tag on the core support with the one from the Viggen?
Old 08-09-2017, 05:06 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojohnny View Post
Will you be replacing the vin tag on the core support with the one from the Viggen?
Yes, but I'm not sure when. The Highway Patrol inspection is only concerned about where parts came from, not quality of repair. I have the title to the 9-3 in my name, and all these parts are coming from it, so it should be pretty clear that there is no shady stuff going down here. I am considering leaving the VIN tag on to PROVE that the part came from that car, and then switching it out after inspection.

I have already removed the VIN tag from the Viggen core support that is junk. It is a little bent up, and I doubt I will get it totally flat, so it will probably be obvious it was tampered with once it is done.

I'll probably bring the viggens vin tag with me to the inspection anyhow.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:02 AM   #20
Elder

I hadn't even considered that the Viggen would have a salvage title. Good thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in