60,000 miles service? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2006, 03:18 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

60,000 miles service?

I bought my 2001 Saab 9-3 with 28,000 miles on it about two years ago. When i bought it the service department told me i should get the 30,000 mile service which was something like $300. Which i didnt have the money at the time so i didnt get it done. Now i am have about 49,000, i shouldnt have 60,000 until probably this time next year but do you think i should have the service done?

I really want my Saab to atleast last until 100,000 miles. So i want to do everything i can to make it last with as few problems as possible. I read the manual and other people posting on this forum. It looks like they replace a few things and just check a bunch of things. Is this something i should even consider getting done?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2006, 03:43 PM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

"Atleast 100,000 miles" lol You shouldnt have to worry about that at all. You'll surpass 100K easily,
)
'02 SG Viggen Coupe (sold)
'99 LB Viggen Coupe (sold)
'99 9-3 SE (sold)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-20-2006, 03:45 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to iwantaviggen
yeah youve at least changed the oil right?
id watch your acc belt the rest is like filters i think

Old 09-20-2006, 03:49 PM   #4
Elder

60k is an important one. It is VERY expensive at dealers.. I would look into having a good indy doing it.

I stress the importance of changing the serp. belt, idler pulley, and the tensioner pulley.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:00 PM   #5
JK
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ View Post
60k is an important one. It is VERY expensive at dealers.. I would look into having a good indy doing it.

I stress the importance of changing the serp. belt, idler pulley, and the tensioner pulley.
Ding ding! These are important to have done...if any one of those breaks it will leave you either stranded, or stranded with a can that has overheated and a blown head gasket!

You'll also want to have the MAF sensor changed at 60,000 I believe.

As far as having it last past 100k....my 9000 (slightly different, maybe less reliable ) is up to 202k and running just fine!

Keep the fluids changed (5,000 miles for oil, 15-30k for auto trans fluid if you have an auto, and every year for coolant), and keep an eye on the serp belt as mentioned, and keep an eye on radiator/coolant hoses and you should be good. There will always be random repairs such as the DI cassette too...but those shouldn't pop up too often
Old 09-23-2006, 06:24 PM   #6
Avid TSL User

Yea, i changed the oil every 5,000. If not at the dealership, i would then go to those vavoline drive through places. I always used synthetic oil. I put in techron fuel system cleaner after every oil change. My car is manual, the di cassette already blew two months after i bought the car. I heard that saabs last along time but i used to have a eagle talon and people swore those things last forever. But i think i put more than $4000 into in 2 years just to keep it running what a pita. I dont want to run into that with my saab. I want the saab to last awhile.

I stopped my the dealership and they said it will cost $768 for the 60,000 mile service. I think i will go to a small shop around the area.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:47 PM   #7
Elder

I had my indy do it for far less than that... I can't remember the exact price, but I wanna say it was around or below $400.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 9-3 - Nordic Stage 3
2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 09-23-2006, 06:50 PM   #8
Editor
Elder

Keep good fluids in the thing and you'll have no trouble seeing 200-300k. I am at almost 150k and everything's strong... had the valve cover off a couple months ago and things were nice and tight These engines are bulletproof. There's a difference between a Saab and and Eagle Talon
Old 09-25-2006, 05:47 AM   #9
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cymbolkid View Post
Yea, i changed the oil every 5,000. If not at the dealership, i would then go to those vavoline drive through places. I always used synthetic oil. I put in techron fuel system cleaner after every oil change. My car is manual, the di cassette already blew two months after i bought the car. I heard that saabs last along time but i used to have a eagle talon and people swore those things last forever. But i think i put more than $4000 into in 2 years just to keep it running what a pita. I dont want to run into that with my saab. I want the saab to last awhile.

I stopped my the dealership and they said it will cost $768 for the 60,000 mile service. I think i will go to a small shop around the area.
Yep they are expensive... Indy should be under $500. I think my 60k was around $600 (indy), but I had him do some other stuff, like fix a stuck parking brake.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in