NG900 Delivery Pipe Question... - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2006, 07:19 AM   #1
Editor
Elder

NG900 Delivery Pipe Question...

I know the delivery pipes on the NG900s and 99 9-3 were some kind of aluminum, and I have asked this question before, but I wondered how everyone else's were...

Basically, if I drive normal, I see nothing. However, if I really get on the throttle and use the bypass valve to vent a lot of that boost, I see oil around where the bypass valve mounts to the delivery pipe. Also, that piece is somewhat loose. I am not exactly sure if it's supposed to be like this... can anyone tell me what there's feels like? Mine will spin around in a circle, etc etc. Maybe I'll have to somehow weld it tight? I'd be afraid of melting that aluminum though... but I just see oil on my block right there, and I know it's not from the valve cover gasket... it's coming through the induction system... it's also not a lot. I never see weird smoke in my car.

Anyone have any ideas?

Edit, I also am not sure if I have the original turbo and it's at 145k, so I'm sure there could be a bad seal, but as said, no indication from the exhaust and it's boosting quite nicely.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2006, 07:25 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cpenning623
I get a little oil in the intake tract whenever i am taking the BPV out to do something....

I think its normal honestly.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-15-2006, 08:39 AM   #3
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to swdmus
The oils from the PCV system if you get a catch can for the PCV you will eliminate your oil problem I believe
1998 Jeep XJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-15-2006, 08:41 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to CooperS7777
Thats totally normal Thom, it did it with my T25 when I had the PVC valve dumping back into the intake - now that I have the new turbo in the PVC dumps into an oil catch and voila, no more oil in the intake.

So long as its not excessive, you have nothing to worry about!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SQR Performance, Saab Repair & Service

Quote:
Fuck the afterlife, its Miller time.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:46 AM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 90SPG
while we're on the subject of catch cans, are they legal for emissions and all that stuff? i cant see why they would be illegal since youre not dumping into the air, but i know some states are weird about changing emissions stuff.
"A car with an image so immaculate it can hold confession and communion."
Old 09-15-2006, 09:02 AM   #6
Elder

I know the guy who does my inspection doesnt so much as pop my hood or put my car on the lift.

"It running aight?"
"Yup"
"Any check engine lights?"
"Nope"
"ok, here you go"

Quote:
Old 09-15-2006, 09:12 AM   #7

How do you go about hooking up a catch can the correct way? I’ve seen a thousand different setups and there all different.
1998 Jeep XJ

Old 09-15-2006, 10:20 AM   #8
Elder

Ill snap some pics of mine eventually, but I purchased a 1' peice of 1/2in (I think) heater hose. This hose runs off my PVC valve on the crank case and towards the drivers side. At the opposite end of this hose, I have a catch can which I purchased at Home Depot - designed for a large air compressor, and a small open air filter on the opposite side of the catch can.

Quote:
Old 09-15-2006, 01:32 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Sleepr56
Yea they should be pretty simple to do. I gotta pick up one here soon. While I was at the track, you could see poofs of smoke while i was shifting, as oil made its way out of my bpv to the manifold.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:34 PM   #10

Some people just run the big hose right off the valve cover into the can and that’s it. Some people run it to the can then out of the can back to the intake which is the way I imagine would be the best, keeping a vacuum on the crack case still. I don’t see what the first way would do.
1998 Jeep XJ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in