How much boost is limited in 1st and 2nd? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2006, 06:34 AM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to Voodoo Send a message via Yahoo to Voodoo
How much boost is limited in 1st and 2nd?

Last night my ex came by to use my garage to change her GTI 1.8T's oil and rotate tires. Yeah she does it herself, I just offered tips So anyway, it was making a weird noise so I took it out for a spin.

I forgot how wild and almost uncontrollable that car is down low! The clutch was stupid light compared to the Viggen and that didn't help any. But you get full boost in all gears, so if you don't go gently on it it'll go crazy.

Which makes me ask, just how much power is limited in first and second on a Viggen? I know I would walk her car silly, but wow that low gear boost is nuts. I know I could adjust that with an MBC and I may do that someday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2006, 06:41 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
Well unfortunatly on the Vig no MBC to adjust it but you could use the old SMBC for it.

I know that on my 9-3 SE HOT I get in the area of 7.5-8.5 in 1st and 2nd on the Automagic and with the SMBC I average 9.5-10.5 in 1st and 2nd.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-12-2006, 07:07 AM   #3
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Same for me in my 9-3 when I had the SMBC on.

NOthing crazy or anything, just a bit more "peppy"

Old 09-12-2006, 08:11 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
Stock I was limited to about 7psi in first. For half of the gear its like you have no boost, then toward the middle say 3k 5psi went to 7psi and I had some wheel spin. In 2nd I would see 10psi.

After software 1st gear does not exist under boost, by the time you look at the gauge to see how much boost your tires are already protesting and its time to shift. My guess is its about 10psi, and much sooner. 2nd gear is about 15psi, and once again tires light up all the way to redline and 60+mph before shifting into 3rd.

If you got the FULL amount of boost available in the lower gears, say 18-20 psi it would be pointless.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-12-2006, 08:58 AM   #5
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to Voodoo Send a message via Yahoo to Voodoo
Oh I actually don't want full boost in the lower gears. Driving her car made me realize the boost limiter is a good thing. I was actually just curious how little boost there is in those gears. I would like more power in 2nd, it just feels so anemic and gutless and I don't think it needs to be limited so much.

So with software some of that low gear limit goes away?
Old 09-12-2006, 09:03 AM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
On a stick shift you will lose almost all of the limits in 1st and 2nd and in an Automagic you will be limited by torque rather than peak PSI for the most part.

Old 09-12-2006, 10:00 AM   #7
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo View Post
Oh I actually don't want full boost in the lower gears. Driving her car made me realize the boost limiter is a good thing. I was actually just curious how little boost there is in those gears. I would like more power in 2nd, it just feels so anemic and gutless and I don't think it needs to be limited so much.

So with software some of that low gear limit goes away?
first went from 7-10, 2nd went from 10-15, so 2nd makes 95% of the boost that 3rd does now. You will love 2nd gear with stage 3.

Old 09-12-2006, 10:06 AM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to StX221
ive noticed that 1st gear actually makes like 13psi...maybe thats what led to the destruction of a gearbox....

and 2nd is 15psi, 3rd is psi, 4th is 15-16, and 5th is right around 15.

all are +/- 1psi or so...i havent seen it at like 0 degrees yet, so i cant comment on the variation of boost because of t7

and jameson is right, i would say that 2nd gear is my favorite gear in my stage 4 9-5....its a very nice blend between wheelspin, acceleration and torque steer. and the looks from people around town when i boost it in 2nd gear are pretty weird. they think something is broken and about to blow up

'02 9-5 Aero
'05 Yamaha R6
Old 09-12-2006, 10:13 AM   #9
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by StX221 View Post
ive noticed that 1st gear actually makes like 13psi...maybe thats what led to the destruction of a gearbox....

and 2nd is 15psi, 3rd is psi, 4th is 15-16, and 5th is right around 15.

all are +/- 1psi or so...i havent seen it at like 0 degrees yet, so i cant comment on the variation of boost because of t7

and jameson is right, i would say that 2nd gear is my favorite gear in my stage 4 9-5....its a very nice blend between wheelspin, acceleration and torque steer. and the looks from people around town when i boost it in 2nd gear are pretty weird. they think something is broken and about to blow up
I agree 100% and my boost numbers are pretty much identical, but have gone down maybe 1lb-1.5lbs since the intercooler, but will likely return after the retune for stage 3+. I too love 2nd gear especially with the smoother revs and steady top end pull after the intercooler.

I dont know if I get 13psi in 1st, I doubt it since I feel the 9-5 would better handle extra 3psi and better move the extra 400lbs off the line. 10 in first is plenty for a Viggen.

Old 09-13-2006, 05:33 AM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to StX221
i cant keep 13psi planted though. i have gotten on it hard in 1st and just absolutely hit the rev limiter, cause the rocket engines light up the tires so friggen fast.

but thats why i dont accelerate hard in 1st anymore....now that the front tires are shot, i get wheelspin almost all the way through second.

'02 9-5 Aero
'05 Yamaha R6
Old 09-13-2006, 09:05 AM   #11
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by StX221 View Post
i cant keep 13psi planted though. i have gotten on it hard in 1st and just absolutely hit the rev limiter, cause the rocket engines light up the tires so friggen fast.

but thats why i dont accelerate hard in 1st anymore....now that the front tires are shot, i get wheelspin almost all the way through second.
First gear is a joke for me. If I give it the lightest tip in, where it reads 0 Vac, no boost the tires chirp. If I give it enougth gas to build boost its wheel spin and a thrash to shift before hitting the limiter.

When I first put in stage 3, as evidence by the video, 2nd gear at 15psi would spin the tires through the whole gear, 28mph to redline at 60mph. It doesnt do it as much now, I am hoping not because I am down on power but due to my new tires are a bit broken in.

I use first gear 99% of the time to just get me rolling.

Old 09-13-2006, 07:12 PM   #12
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to PureViggen
get good rubber

my azenis model 215s are perfect for the viggen and i paid $300

turn in is much better(due to such a stiff sidewall) and wheelspin is virtually eliminated except at turn exit(due to no LSD) and its only the inside tire, but that cant really be eliminated unless you go Rcomp.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:51 PM   #13
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureViggen View Post
get good rubber

my azenis model 215s are perfect for the viggen and i paid $300

turn in is much better(due to such a stiff sidewall) and wheelspin is virtually eliminated except at turn exit(due to no LSD) and its only the inside tire, but that cant really be eliminated unless you go Rcomp.
Talk to me at stage 3ish with another 50hp. My tires were more than adequate before the software. I am looking at the Azenis 615's.

Old 09-13-2006, 08:01 PM   #14
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to PureViggen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
Talk to me at stage 3ish with another 50hp. My tires were more than adequate before the software. I am looking at the Azenis 615's.
615s are decent, i ran them on a mazda3S i raced, they were pretty nice, but not as good(in my opinion) as the 215s are.

and i wont be going stage3 anytime soon.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:10 PM   #15
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureViggen View Post
615s are decent, i ran them on a mazda3S i raced, they were pretty nice, but not as good(in my opinion) as the 215s are.

and i wont be going stage3 anytime soon.
I havent heard anything bad about the 615's. I was told they are the stickiest street tire, non R compound you can buy.

Old 09-20-2006, 04:42 PM   #16
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to Strider
pretty much, I use them to Road Race and used to use them to AutoX with (got Victoracers instead HEH).

"My clothes smell like Saab leather (sniff sniff)....Mmmm."

Last edited by Strider; 09-20-2006 at 04:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in