what is the electronic module on the filler neck? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2016, 04:54 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

what is the electronic module on the filler neck?

1997 900 se turbo. Viewed from behind/underneath the car, there are wires going to ABS sensors on both back wheels, but also one of the saab/amp locking connectors with 3 wires. These 3 go to some module on top of the fuel filler neck.

What is this module? It's not the pump or level sender, those four wires go on top of the fuel tank to their own pair of 2-pin AMP connectors and are accounted for. All the evap stuff I'm aware of is in the passenger front fender. I don't see anything like it in the fuel system catalog on eeuro. I'm not even sure it's fuel-related, but it'd be an odd place to put this thing if it wasn't.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2016, 07:00 PM   #2
WSW
Elder

Probably the shut-off valve
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-16-2016, 08:11 PM   #3
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
Yup. https://www.esaabparts.com/viewparts...ction=11219673

Old 08-17-2016, 12:57 AM   #4
Avid TSL User

I understand the ecu shuts off the fuel pump whenever the engine isn't running, so as not to spray gasoline all over after a crash. The ecu would stop grounding the fuel pump relay.

This is the closest thing to an explanation I could find.
http://www.teacher.starenvirotech.co..._WKBK_10-03-02[1].pdf

It describes a valve that closes in a rollover, and I'm assuming that's a simple gravity mechanism. Is the electronic component simply to inform the ecu when the valve is closed, so it knows the car is upside down? Or is there actually some electromechanical mechanism in this valve that the ecu is controlling?
Old 08-17-2016, 08:12 AM   #5
srp
Elder

I don't think its to shut of fuel, I wonder if it has something to do with emissions? Maybe even CA emissions.

My 97 NG900 doesn't have this.
What engine/body style do you have?
Old 08-18-2016, 12:28 PM   #6
Avid TSL User

1997 900 SE Turbo, 4 door hatch, 2.0 liter b204, trionic 5, etc. Don't think there's anything special about it.

The car runs with it unplugged. I do have the fuel pump wired to a switch panel and the rest of the evap system is gone (Because Racecar). It's probably not possible to determine what the original function of this thing was by unplugging it and seeing what stops working or what codes it throws, which is what I'd try if it was stock.

This is literally one of the only pieces of the stock wiring harness I haven't dissected, identified, trimmed and re-wrapped. I'm basically trying to determine whether I need to keep these wires.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:48 PM   #7
srp
Elder

Genuine SAAB ELCD Purge Valve (Fuel Tank) 4966826 -Free Shipping Available
Called a purge valve at eEuro.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:39 PM   #8
Avid TSL User

Says it fits SAAB 9-3 1999-2003, SAAB 9-5 1999-2005, "This part does not fit your [1997 saab 900 se turbo]"
Based on the limited number of things it could be I suspect you're right. I just need to find a picture of the ng900 equivalent part this superseded to confirm.

The 9-3 part is the right number of wires (3), so if the old version also has 3 wires then I'll be confident.

This diagram of the ng900 evap system shows two purge valves eventually leading to different ports on the front charcoal canister.

One I'm familiar with, it's in the passenger side of the engine bay by the firewall and wheel arch. I did not know there were two. Maybe I'm looking at the second one?

Saab 4442471 maps to Bosch 0280142301
Saab 4442489 maps to Bosch 0280142300

Argh, these both only have two pins on the connector. So they're not it.

Approaching this from another angle, the wires from it go to the big gray plug in the footwell by the ECU. The smaller, more sparsely populated of the two.

Do we have wiring diagrams that identify the contents of that plug? Wiring diagrams would be a huge help to me in general, I've been flying blind for years with this thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in