BattleViggen, One of 107 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2015, 07:44 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

BattleViggen, One of 107

Hello all.

Introducing BattleViggen, a 2001 9-3 Viggen 5 door finished in Black. One of the 107 Black 5 doors made for the model year. I went from a T5 C900 Turbo Convertible with 240k miles to this diamond in the rough. Despite being beaten harder than a Thailand Hooker, it has a strong drivetrain. Bought it with base boost, camber worn tires and of course... ALL of the cosmetic flaws. I mean seriously, the guy who owned this last hit everything but the lottery in it. Half of the bumper has been held together with duct tape.

However, when you look past its beaten exterior there is tons of potential in it. I can't wait to start building it Here are some images of when I first got it

and the worst of the body damage....

and after owning it for 5 days now, I've already made some improvements.

- Fixed a vacuum leak, rotting vacuum line leading to diverter valve (P.O. had no clue what base boost was when i test drove it and thought I was nuts..)

- complete interior detail

- replaced 2 camber worn tires and a front end alignment

- Fixed broken mirror switch, along with little odds and ends in the interior...

- and most importantly, some temporary cosmetic fixes while I save up for a proper respray. I used (with the help of my father who is an ex Saab Service Manager of 20 years) Duplicolor Black Gloss and Clear Coat for the bumpers and the gashes on the rear quarters/door. Not bad for a rattle can job that cost me $0.00...

The crease in the rear was popped back into place using a heat gun and some brute force.

Anywho, this is what I've managed to do in the 5 days I've owned my very first viggen. Coming from NG900 Turbos and multiple C900s, I'm looking forward to bringing BattleViggen back to its former glory and then some
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2015, 05:51 AM   #2
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Nice, looks like a fun project.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-22-2015, 08:52 AM   #3
SAAB Road Master

The name fits...for now. It was definitely battle-worn. Its hard to believe someone would buy a car that special and beat the shit out of it. Congrats on rescuing it!

I'm sure you'll bring it back to its former glory.

Interior shots?
1993 900 Commemorative Edition #50
1995 9000 Aero - Stage 3
1996 900 troll
2002 9-3 Viggen vert - Stage 4
2004 9-5 Aero Wagon

Old 10-22-2015, 09:23 AM   #4
Elder

I like it. There's a lot to be said for owning a car that you don't mind too much about the cosmetics or the shape of the exterior!

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Old 10-22-2015, 12:40 PM   #5

I can get some shots tonight, the interior is decent. Needs a headliner and the seats dyed but the bolsters are there. ITS SUPER COMFORTABLE.

right now I am pricing out options to wrap it in either swedish camo or urban digital camo....keeping it with the theme. this is, of course, after I replace both bumpers
Old 10-22-2015, 02:49 PM   #6
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Cool, how is the rust ? Drain plugs underneath and wheel wells ?
Old 10-22-2015, 02:58 PM   #7

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...D_VmM2EeGLfyZC

Just Doit Man
Old 10-23-2015, 06:30 AM   #8
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey's autohaus View Post
+1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 10-25-2015, 03:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey's Autohaus View Post
Looking into that Harvey! I want to get the body straight before that happens
Old 10-25-2015, 03:44 PM   #10

Man, what a weekend! got a good chunk of stuff done on the BattleViggen.

the flex pipe on this thing was SHOT. the resonator was also showing some wear too. I ordered 2.5 inch piping from Jegs ($20 shipped, got it the day after I ordered, MAD!) and had a good friend of mine cut and weld the new piping into place. There was a hose clamp holding a broken exhaust hanger together that was chucked and re-welded into place. No more exhaust leak and now I have a nice burble like a C900 at idle Also dipped the grille due to peeling chrome and added the signature "turbo" badge to it too.

My father and I also went nuts on interior detailing today. We found mold growing in the center console (EUGH, BLEGH, YUCK, AWWHELLNAW). We scrubbed up and down and got the interior close to spotless as we could get. I used a product called Kiwi Scuff Remover to re-dye the seats and hide some of the cracks in the leather. Did a pretty good job. Its water based so it absorbs into the leather without staining your clothes.

Tomorrow it goes in for Rear pads and Rotors, new plugs and fresh oil Badges for the Viggen Deltas, Rear and Steering wheel are en route from Focuslima via Ebay.

And now, for the pictures...

eugh, that flex pipe though...

testing fitment...

"Looks good to me"....

Now for the interior shots as some of you had requested

in progress with Scuff Cover...

Passenger seat in this shot is untouched, driver's seat coated with Scuff Cover. The difference is night and day

And the finished product... This has to be the most clean its ever been in its entire life.

Last edited by TheSaabNinja; 10-25-2015 at 03:50 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:17 AM   #11
SAAB Road Master

Always nice to see a car getting some much needed love. Great job!
1993 900 Commemorative Edition #50
1995 9000 Aero - Stage 3
1996 900 troll
2002 9-3 Viggen vert - Stage 4
2004 9-5 Aero Wagon
Old 10-26-2015, 04:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daven View Post
Always nice to see a car getting some much needed love. Great job!
I cant stand filthy cars. My motto has always been this... my car is a reflection of myself. If it is not clean, neither am I. Therefore the viggen deserves a full detail to the best of my abilities

Oil has been changed, new tire has been added and rear brakes are done. I've got a stainless steel glasspack system coming in for it for a whopping $25!!! that I will throw on after it passes state inspection. Also have leads on a GS 3 Inch downpipe for it too. BattleViggen will soon roar the way she needs to
Old 10-26-2015, 05:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergie View Post
Cool, how is the rust ? Drain plugs underneath and wheel wells ?
Bergie, just some minor surface rust in the spare wheel well and on the RR strut tower. easily treated. used Rust Cutter and sprayed Rustoleum Rust Prevention on it, its getting rubber undercoating next week for the winter.

Overall its SOLID!
Old 10-28-2015, 01:28 PM   #14
Greek Mod
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to grkguy89
ok now bring it down to me and let me make you a 6-point brace

Quote:
Current Activity: Moderating
Old 10-28-2015, 03:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by grkguy89 View Post
Name the price and I'm down! it needs it along with a Viggen Rescue Kit
Old 10-28-2015, 03:35 PM   #16

In other news, these 9-5 base wheels SUCK. the offset is just a bit too narrow and doesn't like the wet much..

but anywho, here's your obligatory "Saab Autumn Picture".
Old 10-29-2015, 12:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by grkguy89 View Post
I'll Attest to that, The one you made me was 10 times stronger than the original 2 versions I have a bent one made from Chromalloy from Abbot , & I'm always straitening Nicks back out, No disrespect to Nick, But you could jack the car up on yours if you wanted to.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:53 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey's Autohaus View Post
I'll Attest to that, The one you made me was 10 times stronger than the original 2 versions I have a bent one made from Chromalloy from Abbot , & I'm always straitening Nicks back out, No disrespect to Nick, But you could jack the car up on yours if you wanted to.
Christos and I have been chatting on that, it's definitely going to happen once you give it the once over for Inspection, then I'm heading his way to get it done!
Old 10-29-2015, 10:33 PM   #19
SPG

First off, nice score on getting a Viggen! Secondly after reading through all of this thread it's ridiculous how much of a coincidence I find this to be with me. I had just finished up fixing everything on my 9000 Aero when I decided to sell it and go after finding my dream car which was a 5 speed 9-5 Aero. I ended up selling the 9K Aero and went after a local 9-5 Aero that I had eyeballed for months though I didn't know many details about it. Here comes the weird part though, how coincidental things are between our cars. First impressions upon seeing the 9-5 were that it was damaged outside cosmetically with dents on just about every door and the interior was beyond filthy with piles of trash all over the floor. As for the car's performance, it had no boost what so ever, an exhaust leak (flex pipe was broken), no 2nd gear (won't even stay in gear if you attempt to hold it), and the tires were all bald from alignment/camber issues, but it did have a solid motor. Long story short, despite it's terrible condition I couldn't have been happier to take it as I'd wanted a 5 speed 9-5 Aero for so long and finally had the opportunity to get one that needed lots of love. Since getting the car I've fixed the boost issue (turned out to be a plugged up cat) which I fixed by replacing the downpipe with a 3" krona downpipe also taking care of the broken flexpipe at the same time. I've gone over the interior real thorough a few times now to remove most of the stains and get rid of the filth, and I replaced all the tires and got an alignment with shims to correct the camber problem. All that said I really admire you taking on such a project, it really does take someone with dedication to want to bring a car like ours back from the dead and make it shine once again.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:58 PM   #20
SPG

By the way if you're interested in getting some clear corners for your Viggen;

Saab 900 9 3 Corner Lights Pair L R Clear 1994 2002 | eBay

Though I know a lot of people just prefer to save the money and break the reflectors in the stock one's. But I personally love the monochrome look with clear corners. And I noticed your tow hook cover on the bumper was missing, let me know if you're in the market to buy one, I have one in Silver I could sell you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in