(Back) down the rabbit hole in (another) red Viggen. - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2015, 02:31 PM   #1
Site Moderator

(Back) down the rabbit hole in (another) red Viggen.

Did a fly-and-drive to Dallas a couple weekends ago to pick up this beauty.

This is my second red 02 and so far so good. (IIRC there were a total of 10 red 02 5 doors, and 8 red 02 3 doors sold in the US. I have now owned one of each and 11% of them all!) Opted for a 5 door this time around thinking it will be more practical in the long term.

119k on the car and bone stock when I bought it, close to 121k now. Runs perfectly. Exterior will be 8.5/10 once the front bumper gets resprayed. Interior is in similar shape, save for usual minor bolster wear and some scratches on the rear door panel. Overall it seems very solid (for an OG93 anyway) and loving it so far. Will know more if/when DrewP has a chance to give it a thorough once over.

Needs:

- New wheels (Done, replaced with replaced with new Viggen replicas)
- Alignment (Done)
- New speakers throughout (Done, replaced with Alpine 610C in the door and dash, Alpine 619 in back)
- Hood badge (Done, replaced)
- Cabin air temp sensor (Done, repaired)
- Transmission mount (Done, replaced)
- Front bumper TLC and respray
- Rear driver's side interior door panel was abused by a dog or a mildly irritated wolverine
- Minor paint touch up in a couple spots
- GS steering rack and brace (Done)
- GS ARB (Done)
- Maybe Konis (Done)
- 6pt subframe brace (Done)

No decent pics of my own yet, so here are the seller's:

Last edited by jk88; 12-15-2015 at 08:29 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2015, 03:21 PM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Very nice. Someday I will own a viggen. Buying a house now so that's out for a while.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-07-2015, 05:25 PM   #3
Elder

Mmmm. Viggen....

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:12 PM   #4
WSW
Elder

So sexy
Old 10-08-2015, 03:36 AM   #5
Elder

very nice
Old 10-08-2015, 07:01 AM   #6
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Does it look as good as it pictures?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:37 AM   #7
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Great find and great color!
Old 10-08-2015, 08:49 AM   #8
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabeh View Post
Does it look as good as it pictures?
I would say mostly, yes, but it's certainly not a concourse exterior. Same deal with the inside. It's very, very clean.

There's a couple solid dings with scratches that go through the clear: one on the hood and one on the rear passenger door. Someone also did a shitty job repainting the front bumper, so around the intercooler opening it almost has a matte red finish. The clear coat on the front bumper is starting to peel too, so that's on the list for refurb. It's somewhere between a 10' car and a 5' car.

I think it was a pretty good buy at $5750, pending no major mechanical issues in the near term.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:57 AM   #9
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Considering I sold my black 3dr with a 6/10 exterior for $6k, I think you did well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:20 PM   #10

Nice, off the wagon and back on the hard stuff. Pretty rare that it hadn't already had the rack clamp/brace and larger rear arb installed.

Old 10-13-2015, 04:15 PM   #11
Site Moderator

Definitely back on the hard stuff, lol.

Konis ordered. Did 150mi r/t on SoCal freeways over the weekend, and while our roads are shit, this thing finds bumps where bumps do not exist. Not going to rule out bad strut mounts or similar.

Thinking I'll stay with the stock springs to keep the ride height. The bumper already scrapes my non-existent driveway incline with the smallest amount of momentum/spring compression.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:39 PM   #12
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

You must have forgotten how GOOD that chassis is!

Quote:
Old 10-13-2015, 10:13 PM   #13
Site Moderator

Just blocked it out.

The 1400-or-so-miles of interstates getting back to CA were generally fine. It's the subpar roads and freeways here that brought it all back.

This car is so good in the looks, interior, and engine categories... SAAB could have had an epic GT-type car with the Viggen had they only figured out the chassis/nvh.

I don't remember the last time I was in a regular 9-3. Are they just as flawed? Is it the basic NG/OG hatch design (or lack thereof)? Or is it the combo of the chassis combined with the Vig's stiffer springs and dampers?

I know GS sells a million and one chassis braces for a reason... Wondering what combo of add-ons could achieve a "good enough" fix on this car. 6 point brace + steering rack brace + 22 ARB + Konis set to "Buick" + stock Vig springs?

My last one only had the rack brace and 22 ARB.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:49 AM   #14
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Just had a nice long post typed up, but this forum is a 1995 turd so I lost it...

You should drive a 1999 9-3 base, they're hilarious. But Viggen or not, it will always feel like a 9-3. The shortcomings are the rear axle, the front subframe/control arms and the lack of engine mounts. It's a shame someone doesn't make a one piece lower control arm that isn't a race only/heim joint thing.

And Saab did make an epic GT-type car, it's called the 9-5 Aero. It's just not as cool. That being said, the Viggen is still cherished buy us, and it seems like they values are going up slowly. Unfortunately, so many well off people used them as winter cars when they were new, as to keep their M3 off the road. Nice ones are getting hard to find. I still find it funny that a 9-3 with some fancy bumpers is so important to the Saab community, but maybe I am just too cheap.

The magic combo from what I remember is: Eibach springs, Koni Yellows, GS rear ARB, rescue kit, poly front control arm bushings and a 6pt. My Viggen had Koni springs and Bilstein HDs, a combo I would avoid if you enjoy your human spine in your body. The rear Koni springs are basically a solid block.

Quote:
Old 10-14-2015, 08:57 AM   #15
Site Moderator

No doubt the whole aura surrounding these cars is bonkers. See the former Viggen owners support group thread.

Going into this I wanted an SPG but knew that was not a practical DD. On the other end of the spectrum a Turbo X Wagon or 9-5 Aero wagon would have been the smart choices, but for whatever reason lacked enough of the special sauce.

I had an E36 M3, so I have a good (if not too good) reference point for what a car of that era can be. At the same time I already knew the shortfalls firsthand, and I still came back. It makes no sense. Absolutely no sense.

Hopefully bracing the chassis and softer dampers will get me most of the way there. I'm reluctant to go with Eibach lowering springs in this case, only because of the harder spring rate adding nvh, plus I scrape enough driveways as it is.

One thing I don't know anything about are the poly bushings. I know they tighten everything up, but won't they also transmit a little more nvh?

I think Magic Cocktail 1.0 will be: Koni yellows, stock Vig springs, steering clamp/brace, 22arb, 6pt. I think the Konis and the 6pt will have the biggest effect on the ride and overall feel.

Last edited by jk88; 10-14-2015 at 09:05 AM.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:59 AM   #16

I had koni yellows and vogtland springs (which I think are what koni badges as theirs?), rode better than the stock setup with the konis on maybe a quarter turn up from full soft. Brace/clamp are required, as is the larger rear arb. 6pt was one thing I never got around to but is basically required at this point.

I had poly control arm and stanchion arm bushings - really no difference as far as nvh, but they did tighten things up a little bit. I think poly PS bushings and a few locations on the rear axle would've helped. With the miles on this car, I'd just swap in the control arms w/pre-pressed poly bushings from GS, gets you new ball joints as well, and tie rods/end links are cake while you're in there. GS trans mount helps a lot as well. I never did try the rear strut brace that GS sells, I feel like that would help box in that big floppy ass.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:06 AM   #17
WSW
Elder

Just get every suspension/steering bit GS offers.. Then it'll handle pretty decent
Old 10-14-2015, 02:02 PM   #18
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
Unless you really LOWER IT, things that scrape the car at stock ride height and after a 1" lowering are insignificant. Your scraping either way and very rarely would you scrape only due to the 1" change.

Old 10-15-2015, 11:45 AM   #19
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
The hatch brace does a very good job of stiffening up the rear as well.
If you want to try and keep the utility of the fold down seats, you can get the removable version, even though you know you will never remove it...
Old 10-15-2015, 11:48 AM   #20
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

The 3pt hatch brace on my viggen was constantly loosening itself up, idk why. It also hinders cargo capacity.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in