F25/F35: 5th Gear Puller? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2015, 07:12 PM   #1
Elder

Unhappy F25/F35: 5th Gear Puller?

What are you guys using to pull the 5th gear in these transmissions?

The factory tools, 8996084 Puller, Wheel Hub, and 8792566 Puller, look like this:

Back in the day Nick talked about chipping 5th gear teeth, and Harvey mentioned to heat them first in one of the transmission threads and said they're Loctite-ed from factory..

I made a tool out of standard puller, ground down to fit with some bi-metal saw blade metal TIG welded on to fit and spread the force off the teeth and onto body. It seemed like a good idea, and worked well for the 5th gear syncromesh hub, but then the jaw broke and I wrecked the 5th gear.

I have some other transmissions here to salvage a new gear, but not if I can't get them off without breaking teeth. Uggh.

There's gotta be a generic tool that fits? I have the J-43945 kit, which I thought was the Saturn version for working on the the Ion Red Line's that had the MU3 F35, and it has most everything else but I can't find these Saab tools anywhere.

Any help/advice/experience appreciated.

Last edited by Drew in Houston; 09-06-2015 at 07:15 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2015, 07:26 PM   #2
Elder

Maybe to help someone in the future, here are the tools listed in WIS that aren't in the Saturn LS J-43945 kit:

The Puller, 150mm arms, #8791303 are included but not numbered separately, otherwise, here are the tools that are included in the kit, which consists of 4 hard plastic boxes:

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-06-2015, 07:35 PM   #3
Elder

Tools in WIS compared to tools in the Saturn LS J-43945 Kit:

Old 09-06-2015, 08:14 PM   #4
Elder

Okay well, I may have answered my own question courtesy of the folks over at CobaltSSnet.

Rather than try to pull the gear, it looks like the newer approach with this kit is to remove some external bolts/retainers and push the shaft through lifting the whole case off. Makes sense, will try it tomorrow; too bad I broke a gear before it occurred to me to look outside WIS. Darnit.

http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/how-g...ission-286806/

Last edited by Drew in Houston; 09-06-2015 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:09 AM   #5
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Never had to do this. You building a trans?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:21 AM   #6
Greek Mod
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to grkguy89
drew if I had seen this from when you posted it I would told you just to use the case to pull it (like the cobalt guys have said)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Current Activity: Moderating
Old 09-08-2015, 11:50 AM   #7
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by grkguy89 View Post
drew if I had seen this from when you posted it I would told you just to use the case to pull it (like the cobalt guys have said)
Ooh, yeah, that would have helped for sure. I did it and it worked. It cracked when I went far enough, thought maybe I actually broke something but it went okay. So far the worst part other than breaking my puller and cracking the edge on the 5th gear was when one of the reverse synro leaf springs shot out. I found it though!
Old 09-08-2015, 12:02 PM   #8
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabeh View Post
Never had to do this. You building a trans?
Yep! I'm building myself a new daily driver Viggen for commuting with a 3.82 final drive LSD. I've been debating about making a build thread.

Lately I've been working some modeling and simulation maintenance and reliability efforts at work and it inspired me to try a reset/rebuild/turnaround (whatever language you choose for whatever industry) on this 3-door Viggen that I have here. Probably I'll make a build thread... I'm going to have the newest 190k mile Viggen on the planet at the end of it.

Last edited by Drew in Houston; 09-08-2015 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 02:10 PM   #9
WSW
Elder

Build thread would be great
Old 09-13-2015, 09:56 AM   #10
Elder

So, pulling with the case worked on the Viggen transmission. Now I'm disassembling the Cobalt SS transmission, and it is not working. It's just taking way too much force on the puller and it's not coming. In fact, it bent the saddle stud, I bent it back, bent it again, I bent it back, and then of course it snapped off.

I'm going to drill/tap for a new stud, that's not a big deal, but do I just need more heat?

Christos, ever have this happen? Like 5th gear just won't pull off? I tried regular old propane torch on the gear, do I need more heat like from a oxy/acetylene rosebud? Or??
Old 09-18-2015, 04:37 PM   #11
Flirting With TSL Addiction

You're probably way past this by now... but MAPP gas is quite a bit hotter than old propane (condolences to Hank Hill) if you're actually using old school propane. I seem to recall that breaking red loctite requires getting the part to 400 degrees in temp, but you can check that out at the locite site in the specs if you care. You could concentrate on heating the gear vs. the shaft to help expand it, but the shaft is going to suck a lot of heat out of the gear as you go.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:08 AM   #12
Elder

Nope, not past it yet.

This CobaltSS case was in an accident, the bellhousing is broken, and I wonder if maybe that somehow made this gear impossible to pull off?

I didn't know there was a second P on there, MAPP! Anyway, I borrowed my Dad's little MAPP setup and heated it hotter than 400(?) That's good info to have, thank you. I'll try heating it again... after I repair one of my 'new' studs. This time I used some real metric shims so that the saddles tightened up when they were rotated in the right direction for fitting the jaws. I just don't think they ever intended to have to pull that hard to get the gear off.

The case threads are the same as our exhaust manifold threads, M8x1.25, so I used a long re-claimed exhaust manifold stud, and extended the threads onto the unthreaded part of the stud then cut it to length. I cycled it a few times while heating the gear and changed positions because there's just a tiny bit of misalignment, and it eventually broke where the new threads started on the stud when I tightened it against the shim.

If heating again doesn't work, I think I'm going to have to ruin something to get it apart. I don't care about the case, but I don't know how to cut it without contaminating everything inside with chips; it crossed my mind to take it in the backyard and fracture it with my maul lol. I don't care a whole lot about the gear either, it'd be nice to save and and re-use this one, but I have some other boxes here too. Right now I'm leaning towards trying to cut the shaft with a hacksaw blade, just under the 5th gear, and then if lucky, use a hydraulic press to save/reuse the gear.

If I get a chance to work on it today I'll snap a picture or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSabbert View Post
You're probably way past this by now... but MAPP gas is quite a bit hotter than old propane (condolences to Hank Hill) if you're actually using old school propane. I seem to recall that breaking red loctite requires getting the part to 400 degrees in temp, but you can check that out at the locite site in the specs if you care. You could concentrate on heating the gear vs. the shaft to help expand it, but the shaft is going to suck a lot of heat out of the gear as you go.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:14 PM   #13
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

You have to swap all the bearing races from the cobalt box to the saab case, The tapers are different on the 3-4 input shaft, pinion bearings are the same. remove or add shims to the 3-4 stack as needed to get the crush to zero with the dial indicator, under rolling torque, I just heat 5th with propane until the oil cooks away & the case is ready to pull apart at that moment, torque the crush sleeve to zero lift while rotating the assembly a bunch of times, use propane on the internal torques as well, Same as 5th, When the oil cooks away, The torques bolts holding the diff cover plate down will come out without ruining the bolts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
8792566, 8792640, 8996084, mu3 mc2 f25 f35

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in