Need some serious advice! - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2006, 07:41 AM   #1
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to MistaSantos
Exclamation Need some serious advice!

An opportunity has presented itself for me to buy a 2001 9-3SE 92k. Very cheap for $3800. Here's the catch there is what is believed to be some lifter chattering. The seller who bought it at an auction is an airplane mechanic and was trying to repair it himself. He placed a couple of the lifters, replaced the main bearings dropped the pan and had it cleaned out (sludge present) replaced a mushy hose. Now the noise is less audible but still present, no oil pressure light and if he makes a hard right turn the noise disappears. Is this car worth the risk for $3800? It drives great! Handles great, cosmeticly looks good/very good.

$3800 is his rock bottom price.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2006, 08:40 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 90SPG
that sounds like you have found a pretty good deal with that one, depending on how much time and money you have to spend if a problem were to come up. if you budget the money to have someone replace an engine(worst case scenario) or if you are willing to put in the wrench time yourself you could get a bargain. are you going to keep your vert as well? if so then i think you could definitely get on fixing this yourself and drive the vert while you do it and get a great deal.
"A car with an image so immaculate it can hold confession and communion."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-24-2006, 08:46 AM   #3
SAAB Road Master

I would keep my vert, as for the repair i would have to pay someone. I spoke to my mechanic he quoted and engine swap for about $3k including engine. That's way too much! I could afford like $1k to $1200 in repairs.

Old 07-24-2006, 08:46 AM   #4
Flirting With TSL Addiction

a sludged engine will require a complete cleaning....I bet the timing chain is shot too. I predict you'd be investing another $3K-4K in getting the engine back in running order.

x-VWer:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:55 AM   #5
SAAB Road Master

I'm not sure if it's a sludged engine but the pan and screen was grimmy.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:02 AM   #6
JK
Elder

the local indy saab mech. around here that I deal with (he also writes articles for 'Nines' magazine) often suggests hooking the motor up to an oil flush system that he has, along with the cleaning of the pan and pickup screen.

As far as the timing chain, that could be checked to some extent by removing the tensioner and seeing how far out it is (the further out, the more the chain has stretched).

The unfortunate thing is that if you had to pay to have the work done it really might require a lot of $ to get the motor back to good shape or replaced. If you could do the work yourself you might be looking at spending only around $1000 (maybe less) for a used motor.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:09 AM   #7
Avid TSL User

New member here but a long time mechanic. If you like it and want to take a chance there are some things you can do. the engine flush is a good idea. there is a product called kreen made by kano labrtories that is amazing. also BG products makes a great flush. Id Flush change oil run a while and flush again. you may be able to work the crud out of it after a while. So you spend $200.00 on flush ,oil, filters. What have you lost? You have every thing to gain it may come around. Ive seen it before. take a chance. its beggen for a little TLC from you LOL good luck moses
Old 08-18-2006, 09:22 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Johnz826
Mine did the same had lifter chatter, and i brought it to this mechanic who specializes on head work and he told me that the rockers sound a lil loose and all u have to do is tighten them up. So he did it for me and the m=noise went away. The guy did an awesome job.

Old 08-18-2006, 09:50 AM   #9
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to Makeyousaab
I have a question,.....dont our lifters sit on top of the valve stems in a very thin layer of oil? So how could you "tighten" them up?

1999 9-3 Vert. STG = pretty fast
Old 08-18-2006, 09:56 AM   #10

I didn't get to look, i dropped it off and when i came back a couple hours later he had fixed.

Old 08-18-2006, 10:09 AM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PaulH
you cant tighten the lifters...theyre hydraulic...they self adjust.

Paul

Old 08-18-2006, 10:21 AM   #12

Then he must have done sometin else cuz it wasn't makin the noise after, he never told me what he did when i came and picked it up, all he said was it's fixed and that it shouldn't make anymore noise for a long time.

Old 08-18-2006, 02:35 PM   #13
Elder

Send a message via AIM to soccerrplyr
If the engine does go, it cost me 2650 for a 47k engine with turbo, shipping, and installation at my euro indy in VT.. Just thought I'd give you a base to go by.

Old 08-18-2006, 02:48 PM   #14
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
Wonder what he decided?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in