Leather Treatment - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2006, 04:15 PM   #1
Elder

Leather Treatment

For the people who know a little about interior detail, my Viggen seats are in excellent condition, but I'd like to keep them this way. My driver seat is starting to get creases in it, still no tears though.

What should I be doing to help preserve this nice leather? I have heard of leatherique, lexol, etc. I have also read that the leather in the newer Saabs is "sealed" so it won't absorb any treatment anyways.

Any info is appreciated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2006, 04:48 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
Leatherique is good stuff, but $$$$$$. I use Lexol stuff on my Aero seats with great results. If you can't get the seats to absorb any of the product you can try lightly "sanding" them with some emory cloth or very fine sandpaper.

edit-Also on plastic/vinyl on the interior you can try some Vinylex (made by the same company that makes Lexol). Excellent product. I used it on my dash/interior pieces back in April before SiS and they're still shiny to this day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mcrowley; 07-20-2006 at 04:50 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-20-2006, 04:48 PM   #3
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ
For the people who know a little about interior detail, my Viggen seats are in excellent condition, but I'd like to keep them this way. My driver seat is starting to get creases in it, still no tears though.

What should I be doing to help preserve this nice leather? I have heard of leatherique, lexol, etc. I have also read that the leather in the newer Saabs is "sealed" so it won't absorb any treatment anyways.

Any info is appreciated!
Leatherique is the stuff to use. I believe the Viggens seats are not sealed....Call leatherique and check it out with them. They are very helpful.

Old 07-20-2006, 10:49 PM   #4
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to friggin viggen
I use Mother's Leather Cleaner, and Mother's Leather Conditioner...they smell nice, shine nice, and allow you to slide all around while taking nice corners

Stärka = NVIGR8 = To impart vigor, strength, or vitality to
6/3/06 - 224whp/285wtq
Old 08-01-2006, 05:52 PM   #5
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by friggin viggen
I use Mother's Leather Cleaner, and Mother's Leather Conditioner...they smell nice, shine nice, and allow you to slide all around while taking nice corners

Gee thats what I want in my leather seats HAHAHAHHA . I'm going to try some Lexol action here pretty quick. I used to use Gold Medalion leather cleaner it was excellent. But I haven't had a car with leather interior in a long time so I don't have any cleaner anymore. I liked the Gold Medalion stuff cause it made the leather look clean soft and suppl (sp?), but not super blindingly shiny and slippery which I hate with a serious passion on car with GOOD leather. And as Saabs have the BEST leather I'm sure it would do the sucking to be all shiny.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:20 PM   #6
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Zymol.

German. Pure. Powerful.

That's what I use, and it rocks!

You put it on when the car is hot inside, and it "soaks" in.

It even smells good.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:01 AM   #7
Elder

I ordered some Leatherique, fedex tracking says it will be here tomorrow. I plan to just come to work a little early and put it on then, leave my car out in the sun all day.

I'll update with how it works out.

Old 08-02-2006, 07:43 AM   #8
Avid TSL User

guys you could try gliptone leather cleaner /conditioner available from ELK parts and reasonably priced, this is good stuff, they even do scuff repair colour matched for your laether( standard saab colours)
Old 08-02-2006, 07:47 AM   #9
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Leaving your car in the hot sun, and then applying the leather care stuff after the leather is hot to the touch helps alot. I plan on using the lexol stuff today at lunch considering its going to be 113 with the dew point factored in.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:59 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to spgdude
I use leather shoe polish, works good for me. According to the can it nourishes leather lol, it makes it alot softer and gives it a nice shine too.
09' 9-5 SportCombi 5mt Stg1
Old 08-04-2006, 10:20 AM   #11
lms
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I use Zaino on the outside of all my cars and have been for years. They make 2 products for leather now and they both work and smell awesome. That's my 2 cents.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:25 AM   #12

Zymol. Cleaner and cream. smeels good, soaks in. Leather party in a bottle and you're invited.

Last edited by gildedsplinters; 08-08-2006 at 06:33 AM.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:59 AM   #13
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to VIGGENIT
Leather party in a bottle and you're invited.[/QUOTE]

haha
88 900T
"the saab 900: built like a Merc, safe as a Volvo, and so much cooler than a BMW"
Old 08-09-2006, 06:56 AM   #14

Don't recommend programming until 4 and THEN leaving messages the following morning! A little further out there than when having had a few...but at least it kinda makes sense!
Old 08-09-2006, 08:39 AM   #15
Elder

Going to do my leather with the leatherique I got on the next sunny day. I'll update here

Old 08-09-2006, 09:48 AM   #16
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
I really like the lexol products. they are all natural and what's best for the leather. they don't have that nice smell that some other products have, more of a natural leather smell. I have found that after I condition with lexol, the seat is rather sticky and not very nice to sit in for the next day or so. it's the weeks after a full lexol conditioning that you really feel how well the stuff works... It's like sitting in brand new leather. I'm sure it's good for the longevity of the leather.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:37 AM   #17
Elder

Did step 1 of 2 this morning before work for my Leatherique treatment, will finish cleaning it this evening when I leave work. I'll let you guys know how it goes. For now the leather is nice and soft after just the first step!

Old 08-16-2006, 08:02 AM   #18
SAAB Road Master

Where are you guys getting Leatherique? It is some pricy stuff!
Old 08-16-2006, 09:48 AM   #19
Elder

I got it online and had it shipped for around $40 for their two step process, rejuv. oil and prestine clean both in 16 oz. form.

Old 08-16-2006, 04:05 PM   #20
Elder

OK... finished cleaning the seats, and I must say it is amazing. The leather is soft.. so nice.

Easy to clean up. Dry enough to sit in when you are done. I'll update in a couple days to see if it gives the "leather" smell like they say, but the car had it already so we'll see if that changes much. Gotta let it bake in a bit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in