The $50 Saab...Key and Manual Transmission advice needed - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2015, 09:51 AM   #1
SAABeginner

The $50 Saab...Key and Manual Transmission advice needed

I just picked up a 1999 9-3 for $50, keys and title not included.

The body and interior are in good shape, but the transmission may be bad. It's locked in reverse, and even with the clutch depressed it made a grinding sound when rolling it on and off the trailer. Before I can investigate further I need keys....which brings me to:

Where can I get keys? In researching the issue it looks like the key code can be looked up by the VIN by the dealer...except there aren't any more dealers.

Once I get the key code it looks like I can either use lostsaabkeys.net or a similar service on ebay, send in the key code and my TWICE module and bob's your uncle...right?

Thanks for the help!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2015, 08:45 PM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

I would got a junkyard and pull everything and do a swap, honestly. It will prolly be easier and cheaper in the longrun. As for the services you suggested--I can make no comment as your reference is the first ive heard of it.
-Cm
Old 03-18-2015, 05:05 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
Call kyle @ Goldwing. He'll send everything you need to swap and it'll be less-expensive than a dealership/mechanic.

I think I remember on the '99 that the alternative is to use an older ECU, as the rest of the t5 cars didn't have immobilizers. It's nothing I've ever had to deal with, though, so I could be making it up.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 03-18-2015, 06:56 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
1999 2004 9 3 9 5 Saab Twice Control Module Key Locks and Immobilizer Kit | eBay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:50 AM   #5
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
Not bad, buy you'd still need another key/fob marrying. Try to find ine with 2 keys.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:24 PM   #6
SAABeginner

Thanks for the tip. It looks like step 1 is to get the registration sorted by contacting the last owner. Once I have paperwork I can try to track down the key code and get a key, or get a new set of locks/keys/TWICE. I dont want to sink too much $$ into it until I have paperwork, so I will just work on cleaning it up for now. The paperwork process takes at least 15 days.

Thanks, I'll keep you all posted!
Old 03-18-2015, 12:25 PM   #7
Elder

Great, so you bought a stolen car for $50 lol.

An owner with a title can get $300 selling a car for scrap usually...
Old 03-18-2015, 12:37 PM   #8
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

yikes, definitely check the VIN number. There are perfectly legitimate reasons for people to dump a car with no title or keys. They usually involve a good story though. Make sure it's not a hottie.

Most scrapyards "require" a title to scrap a car. I'm sure no one in history has ever worked around that though.

Agree with the other comments, find a donor car with TWO keys and take all the locks and electronics.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:16 PM   #9
SAABeginner

I ran the VIN before I bought it. It cam back as salvage, but not stolen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in