Edmund's 2011 9-5 Aero review - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-5 '10+ Forum > General New 9-5 Posts and Information

General New 9-5 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the new 9-5.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2010, 12:14 PM   #1
TSLMember

Edmund's 2011 9-5 Aero review

Edmund's review of the 2011 9-5 Aero

"How good is the 9-5? The Aero's handling numbers at our test track bested the Audi A6 3.0 T, BMW 535i, Infiniti M37S and Mercedes-Benz E350 on the skid pad and beat all but the M37S in the slalom. Even then, the difference with the rough-riding Infiniti was a mere 0.4 mph.

Besides XWD (cross-wheel drive), credit the 9-5's steering, which is characterized by crisp turn-in and the sort of response and road feel that BMW has recently lost. Like a BMW, the Saab Aero gets adjustable drive settings (dubbed DriveSense), but they are ultimately better sorted due to the car's better steering and the ability to separately set each of several applicable vehicle attributes (suspension damping, steering assist, throttle response, stability control intervention and shift timing for the six-speed automatic transmission). Want the firm sport steering but don't need to be jarred by the firm sport suspension? The 9-5 Aero has you covered."

Surprisingly good review, left a couple of things out but on the whole very positive.

Road Test: 2011 Saab 9-5 Aero

JTMav
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2010, 12:22 PM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Good post!

Glad to see they are comparing apples to apples as far as the competition goes.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-29-2010, 12:37 PM   #3
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveiron9688 View Post
Good post!

I was pretty surprised that they compared it to the cars that Saab sees as their competitors. I was even more surprised by their results and view. I've been driving one for 3 months now and I know the car is as good or better in many ways but in a sea of BMW, Benz and Audi drivers here in Boston, most of whom are ignorant of what they are driving, they'll be a tough crowd to convince. This should help. Saab needs to get people to test drive the car, then I think they'll sell fairly well. It's amazing I have yet to see another since I bought mine.

JTMav

Old 12-29-2010, 01:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveiron9688 View Post
Good post!

Their apples are just a wee bit bigger, though. They're comparing the top-of-the-line Saab with mid-range models.

Even considering that, it's still a gorgeous car that is a welcome resurrection for the brand. Let's hope they sell kajillions of them and keep the brand alive
Old 12-29-2010, 03:48 PM   #5

Ill take a bmw 3 series or a base 5 series. But id take the saab over any similar priced audi and others.
It was a good review. This is a bmw fanboi editorial crowd and they stepped beyond that stereotype.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:58 PM   #6
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders View Post
Their apples are just a wee bit bigger, though. They're comparing the top-of-the-line Saab with mid-range models.

Even considering that, it's still a gorgeous car that is a welcome resurrection for the brand. Let's hope they sell kajillions of them and keep the brand alive
Saab tops out at those makes mid level... ( except maybe teh infinity but that is a toss up to me
Old 12-29-2010, 04:14 PM   #7

The infiniti with the interior is sweetness.
A lease for me would be 528, m37, 9-5.
A purchase would be 528, 9-5.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bruceinmiami; 12-29-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:51 PM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to JLausch
i would not take a 528 over a 9-5 (too slow), and after driving one for the past 24 hours (sort of, i actually spent more time playing with stuff in the car and staring at it...) i almost wouldn't even consider the 535, the BMW has slightly better suspension and the transmission is smoother, but the 9-5 aero feels really good, although not quite as refined as the BMW, and i don't agree with them saying the steering is better, but it handles awesome, corners level, and in general handles like a car that is much lighter. Also with the price i can pick up a left over 2010 aero for, its pretty much a no brainer, ends up being about 10k less than a comparable german option. I did notice that only one side lights up in reverse, i just assume its a bad LED, because i doubt they would pull another 9000 cse type deal.
'01 Viggen (sold)

Last edited by JLausch; 12-29-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:01 AM   #9
Flirting With TSL Addiction

OMG 55K...what world is this Saab living in...sorry Im out and my family income is 150K+ a year !

All take this car all day long for 25K less...I don't understand what Saab is doing ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-M...fCarsQ5fTrucks

Last edited by cking1975; 01-02-2011 at 04:06 AM.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:01 AM   #10
Avid TSL User

Let's hope the FWD 9-5 is also a good car and cheaper. The first testdrive's in 3 magazine's talk about a lighter car with a little more SAAB:ish feel and more fun. Most of all: Please SAAB, put it together with highest possible quality. But I read in a Swedish magazine that 9-5 from 2006 and up has no problem's whatsoever.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:06 AM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to JLausch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cking1975 View Post
OMG 55K...what world is this Saab living in...sorry Im out and my family income is 150K+ a year !

All take this car all day long for 25K less...I don't understand what Saab is doing ?

BMW : M5 - eBay (item 380303262138 end time Jan-07-11 18:07:00 PST)
You can't compare a 5 year old 5 series to a brand new car, compare a new Saab to a new 5er or E-Class, and the saab is a lot cheaper when comparably equipped.
'01 Viggen (sold)
Old 01-03-2011, 08:15 AM   #12
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Im sorry but Saab is probably 5 years behind BMW...there is nothing about this car that could out perform the M5 from 5 years ago...my point is...why are these cars so expensive ? I mean...what I am getting for 55K !

There is nothing to argue about here...

http://www.cars.com/go/compare/model...ids=7970,12408

Last edited by cking1975; 01-03-2011 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:23 AM   #13

^Agree. I have never been able to justify Saab "new" pricing. They lose their value soo fast.

You can still love the car, just buy used when it is a 3rd of the price.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:32 AM   #14
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by cking1975 View Post
Im sorry but Saab is probably 5 years behind BMW...there is nothing about this car that could out perform the M5 from 5 years ago...my point is...why are these cars so expensive ? I mean...what I am getting for 55K !

There is nothing to argue about here...

2006 BMW M5 vs. 2011 Saab 9-5
A couple of things here, my car stickered for close to that and I paid significantly less. As others here pointed out similialry equipped BMW, Audi, Benzs will be considerably more. The blanket statement of 5 years behind is, I assume, an opinion not based on facts. For one thing the Haldex XWD is about as cutting edge as there is. The "Drivesense" option is as good or better than anyone else is offering currently. There is no way this car is 5 years behind BMW. Check out the most recent 5 series reviews and there is a lot of consensus that BMW has screwed up one of their most important attributes, steering feel.

I've driven this car for more than three months now and I will certainly agree with most of what the Edmunds reviewer said. I am not saying the car is as prestigious as the other brands, but it certainly can compete performance wise. You need to drive it, and more than a quick test drive to appreciate the car.
JTMav
Old 01-03-2011, 08:35 AM   #15
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by el-anders View Post
But I read in a Swedish magazine that 9-5 from 2006 and up has no problem's whatsoever.
Not including the 2010+ 9-5 - but I laughed at that. Don't believe what you read! Those GM-afied 9-5's were so crickety and cheap inside and out it wasn't even funny. The lack of build quality was rather amazing that they have lasted as long as they have. I did not like the BS sqeak and rattle work I had to do on all of the ones from Doylestown, PA - they are horrible cars in that department. Forgetting what they look liked was easy once you got on a nice straight away and floored it however. Fast they were, but about 5 years too late.

Here's hoping to the new 9-5!
for your repair needs
Old 01-03-2011, 08:50 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLausch View Post
I did notice that only one side lights up in reverse, i just assume its a bad LED, because i doubt they would pull another 9000 cse type deal.
No it is a CSE kind of deal, Ohh the irony. I had to figure that out the other day too.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:16 AM   #17
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey's Autohaus View Post
No it is a CSE kind of deal, Ohh the irony. I had to figure that out the other day too.
No it's designed to have one LED back up, unlike the my old 9000 there are no extra back up lights at the front. The LED is bright enough, I wouldn't have minded a second one, though.

JTMav
Old 01-03-2011, 10:25 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTMav View Post
No it's designed to have one LED back up, unlike the my old 9000 there are no extra back up lights at the front. The LED is bright enough, I wouldn't have minded a second one, though.

JTMav
I was refering to the "ONE" back up light in the rear center pannel of 94-98 CS body 9000s
Old 01-03-2011, 11:04 AM   #19
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey's Autohaus View Post
I was refering to the "ONE" back up light in the rear center pannel of 94-98 CS body 9000s
My 93 9000 CSE had one back up in the rear but two smaller white back up lights on each of the front corners. Tucked into the rear of the front plastic headlamp housing.

The 2010 has just one as well, LED, and that's all.

JTMav
Old 01-03-2011, 11:23 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTMav View Post
My 93 9000 CSE had one back up in the rear but two smaller white back up lights on each of the front corners. Tucked into the rear of the front plastic headlamp housing.

The 2010 has just one as well, LED, and that's all.

JTMav
No man I'm Totally there with you no Disrespect, in 94 the CS body tail lamps changed from the Two back up lights to the single white back up light. This has screwed up State inspectors and Cops ever since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in