2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T -- Good, reliable car? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > General New 9-3 Posts and Information

General New 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the new 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2014, 11:24 AM   #1
SAABeginner

2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T -- Good, reliable car?

I've finally graduated college and have my first real "grown-up" job. I'm in need of a new vehicle as my 2003 Hyundai Elantra just went over 200k..

I found a 2007 9-3 2.0T with 66,000 miles. It's priced well below it's blue-book value. I've always loved Saabs but I've never been able to afford one.
It seems very intruiging to me but I've read some very off-putting things about Saabs -- parts are imposilbe to find, they're expensive to own/maintain, etc.

Also, I know nothing about cars. All of the work and maintenence will have to be hired.

What are your thoughts ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2014, 12:24 PM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by emattes90 View Post
I've finally graduated college and have my first real "grown-up" job. I'm in need of a new vehicle as my 2003 Hyundai Elantra just went over 200k..

I found a 2007 9-3 2.0T with 66,000 miles. It's priced well below it's blue-book value. I've always loved Saabs but I've never been able to afford one.
It seems very intruiging to me but I've read some very off-putting things about Saabs -- parts are imposilbe to find, they're expensive to own/maintain, etc.

Also, I know nothing about cars. All of the work and maintenence will have to be hired.

What are your thoughts ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
I'm not familiar enough with the newer generation 9-3 to make a recommendation, but for most earlier models parts are very accessible and they aren't anymore expensive than any other car as long as taken care of.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-26-2014, 01:13 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
My Indy highly recommends the 2.0 9-3 SS/SC's (other than the 03's and very early 04's). He says far and away they are the lowest maintenance SAABs he's ever worked on. I was really trying to talk my lady into a 9-5, but he claimed the 06 9-3 SC 2.0 she wanted would be much less upkeep, which is good for her!

Old 07-14-2014, 02:37 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
dont be worried about parts, they are all available, here are a few reasons why

First, and foremost, most parts you will need to replace are not made by saab, Are you going to by genuine saab brake pads, alternators, and coolant hoses?

probably not, for any car you will ever own, Saabs are no difference on the day to day parts.

Secondly, saab is still making parts, and always has been.

third, saab tends to use the same part in a large timeframe of cars, so second hand parts are usally common, (they made sports sedans for 8 years, with relatively few mechanical changes ) Whereas BMW, mercedes, and audi love to do complete redesigns every 3 years, where nothing is cross compatible.

the 2.0 93s have a pretty solid drive-train (especially with a manual trans) its the little things that give problems with the cars
Old 07-14-2014, 04:59 PM   #5
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Some good comments here I agree with all that has been said. One thing to keep in mind, and this seems to be generally true for European cars. In a lot of cases, the aftermarket manufacturer is the manufacturer who supplies the oem.

Bosch is a good example (which I know is not exclusive to European) but they sell parts to the oem and then turn around and also sell aftermarket. So they will certainly not stop manufacture when the oem moves on.

I think Sachs is another good example, don't they supply oem?
Old 07-16-2014, 01:33 PM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 8valvegrowl
2007+ has the possibility of the dreaded intake valve wear problem. There is a thread about it on various Forums (SaabCentral, SaabWorld, etc).

Demand a cold start compression test. around 65K is when my 2007 SportCombi (built in Sept of '06) started exhibiting symptoms (Rough idle on cold start for 10 seconds or so, occasional misfire codes on cold start when the temps were low.) The car runs fine once warmed up as the valves seal again.

Apparently a supplier gave Saab a bad batch of intake valves that wear very quickly and cause low compression.

Let the car sit overnight, then do a compression test, all cylinders should be 150+psi.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 8valvegrowl; 07-16-2014 at 01:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in