Replacement for totaled Saab-Aero or 2.0T - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > General New 9-3 Posts and Information

General New 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the new 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2014, 04:40 PM   #1
SAABeginner

Replacement for totaled Saab-Aero or 2.0T

I'm looking to replace my totaled 2005 Saab Conv Aero with another Saab convertible. I had a 2.0T Aero and thought about switching to the Aero V6. Any thoughts or advice? I'm concerned about the intake valve issue on the 2.0Ts. My Saab dealer's (Jim Ellis) service techs said that it's pretty inevitable that a 2007-2009 2.0Ts will need to have their intake valves replaced....especially if you don't run premium. Since I'm buying a used car, I won't know if the car I'm buying was fueled with premium. Any issues to be aware of with the Aero? I'm looking at 2008-2009 Aero convertibles and 2009-2011 2.0T convertibles.

Thanks

James
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2014, 09:00 AM   #2
SAABeginner

James,

I'm sure that there are differing opinions re: the V6 as opposed to the 2.0 engines. I had never owned a V6 car until a couple of years ago when I bought one for a friend looking for an Aero 6 speed. I was impressed with the power and smoothness but didn't really have time to get a long term test. I have an '08 Aero now and I'm impressed with it. It's really smooth, powerful and more refined feeling in my opinion. I still think the 2.0 is great engine and plenty for just about any situation but if you're a lover of power it's hard to beat the V6. Also with nothing more than a remapped ECM it's a beast. Hard for me to imagine that Saab engineers left so much performance on the table but I'd imagine that reliability and liability were likely reasons.

The V6 is a pain to work on but so far all I've had to do with mine is replace the coils and plugs which, according to my mechanic, is to be expected at around 80k.

As far as the potential mechanical issues that you raise re: the 2.0t and intake valves I haven't heard that said about the 2.0 engines. From personal experience I've never had any valve issues and my daughters' '05 9-3's ran from 40k to 135k+ on regular with no issues. If I've just been lucky perhaps others will respond and recount their experiences.

Kevin
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-10-2014, 12:22 PM   #3
TSLMember

Proud owner of my second Saab. I own am 06 9-3 2.oT. I love it. Like our friend above the only work I've had to do consisted of replacing a coil and plugs (bought car in 2011 @ 68K, replaced this year at 122k). I love the torque once you hit the power band giving you a taste of the v6 but still getting the v4 mpg. My first was a 99 9-5 which lasted to 275k and wouldve kept running butfor a small issue. I would recommend a Saab to anyone given the car has been taken care of; of course its on a case to case basis but nevertheless. Hope this helps.

L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in